UW-Milwaukee exploring adding D-1 hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Almington View Post
    That's not what he said at all. I think that Chuck is skeptical that it could ever compete attendance wise with Madison and that you can't expect 10k attendance per game. The question that the UWM needs to answer is can they average the ~3k that they'd need to be in the new WCHA?
    My comment had nothing to do with attendance. I even said in my post that an average attendance of 1,000-3,000 would be fine. And I think a hockey program at UW-Milwaukee would flourish. I just think they have their eyes set more on football and hockey was an after thought comment.

My comment was in response to his statement that hockey is growing in the Milwaukee area and what I perceived to be an underlining sentiment in his post that Milwaukee is anything other than a poor hockey town.

That said, I will admit my perception is based only on what people I know who have lived in the area have told me. And if I misinterpreted what Chuck was saying, then I apologize.

Though I do think not having a single outdoor hockey rink in the entire Milwaukee metro area (if still true) is incredibly sad. That needs to change if hockey is going to grow in that area.

Comment

Re: UW-Milwaukee exploring adding D-1 hockey

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
      I disagree...it's still Wisconsin which is still a hockey strong state. Like I said earlier, they don't have to draw 10,000 to be successful. If they can get 3,000 to come out on a nightly basis that would put them in the middle of the pack in the country.

Hockey in Milwaukee continues to grow and I'm not sure it's fair to write something off just because of the opinion that hockey isn't strong in that part of the state. Actually programs like the Milwaukee Jr. Admirals are starting to churn out some players and some of the high school programs are really strong (USM has won two state titles recently).
      I very much want to agree with your sentiment but no-one in milwaukee except the few hockey fans there are (and only a fraction of them) would know University School won a State title. but virtually everyone in milwaukee that's a sports fan can name last year's HS BB champion.

and that's the problem w/hockey in general in southeast wisconsin. until the homestead/brookfield/hartland/waukesha/new berlin etc., schools start producing great players that can compete regularly w/Wausau/Superior/Eagle River/Hudson we'll be at this impass were hockey is marginally popular.

3,000 a game would be great but that's what the Admirals are drawing I thought? If that's true (on non-concert nights) that's ugly and doesn't portend well to good college hockey attendance.

we can't even get regular articles on the UW team, though I guess the JS would HAVE to cover a milwaukee team if it transpired.

I don't know. I'd fully support UWM if this happens. I'd go to as many games as I could (with Madison still being my #1 so I guess I'd split my tickets), but I just don't see a clamor for hockey in milwaukee like there *could* be if this was say UW-GB seeking info instead
      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Milwaukee does have a solid hockey community. BUT does UWM have enough drawing power? Would a matchup between UWM and Northern Michigan or Ferris or Bemidji state be compelling enough to get 3000 hockey fans out to the games? MSOE has had a solid D-III program, tied for first place in the MCHA and they are lucky to get 500 fans into their rink. The Admirals are a solid draw and have been since their USHL days. The NCAA Frozen Four has always done well in Milwaulee. The WCHA tourney did pretty well also. But if Wisconsin wasn't playing, attendance suffered. As a former Milwaukee resident who lived within walking distance of the Bradley Center, I do believe there is a decent hockey market in the city. But I'm not sure there is a UWM hockey market, especially when you consider competing with the Admirals for ticket sales.
        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Milwaukee is indeed a lousy hockey town. As much as I hate to agree with a certain jagbag-not-to-be-named, there are maybe three places to skate in the winter, only one of them has nets that I know of and they're usually locked up until late in the day. This is not the same town that once drew huge numbers for the Admirals and should have gotten an NHL franchise.

On the other hand- and this is more important- Chuck is right that it is changing. There are more kids playing each year there, so the future is bright(er). Granted, that's comparable to saying that Tim Tebow will be having more sex after he gets married, but still...
          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
            Milwaukee is indeed a lousy hockey town. As much as I hate to agree with a certain jagbag-not-to-be-named, there are maybe three places to skate in the winter, only one of them has nets that I know of and they're usually locked up until late in the day. This is not the same town that once drew huge numbers for the Admirals and should have gotten an NHL franchise.

On the other hand- and this is more important- Chuck is right that it is changing. There are more kids playing each year there, so the future is bright(er). Granted, that's comparable to saying that Tim Tebow will be having more sex after he gets married, but still...
            I just call it like it is. If that bruises egos, then people need to toughen up. If Gopher fans are arrogant, Badger hockey fans are ultra defensive. And anyone who disagrees that Milwaukee is a **** poor hockey town, or thinks that is changing significantly, is fooling no one.
            Last edited by JDUBBS1280; 11-29-2011, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post

As a UW-Milwaukee alum from the UP, I can tell you that Wisconsin isn't a strong enough hockey state to support two D1 teams in the southern part of the State. Wisconsin ranks 13th in the US, behind Wyoming in per capita hockey players.
              See http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/20...tate-by-state/
              USA Hockey puts Michigan, Minnesota and New York in their own regions, but groups Wisconsin with Illinois, Iowa and a few other states.
              Hockey was never even a big deal in Madison before the inception of modern Badger hockey in the 1970s....it's a fairly recent cultural acquisition.
              In short, despite being sandwiched on three sides by two hockey states, Wisconsin just isn't.

As much as I'd love to see UW-Milwaukee have a D1 hockey team, it's just not in the cards. UWM is primarily a commuter campus with only a modest student involvement in sports. I went there for two degrees and 8 years and never really saw much of a sports presence on campus compared to Michigan Tech, where I also went. The Milwaukee hockey community is growing but is still very small. I played adult hockey there for ten years and I've coached Jr hockey in the area. I just don't see it being a wise investment for UWM at this time. UW-Superior, UWEC or UWGB would have higher chances of success investing in building a D1 hockey community.

Comment

Can't say I disagree with anything you just said.

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Comment

An update.

http://m.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/1...phone&dc=smart

The release of a strategic plan for the future of athletics at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee has been delayed until March, according to Athletic Director Rick Costello.

Costello said Thursday that the $87,450 study by Brailsford & Dunlavey, a consulting firm in Washington, D.C., had been expected in January.

The thrust of the study itself has not changed, Costello said. The firm will look at the mission and values in the athletic program, and will study the possibility of either refurbishing the Klotsche Center or building an entirely new arena on campus.

Costello said the study will be released to students and faculty as a means of prompting discussion about the athletic program. The consulting firm will organize meetings on campus, he said.
                  On one hand, the focus of the study might be a new arena in town (maybe with ice making facilities?), on another hand- lets not get our hopes up here. It's still not a good enough hockey town for anything more than the occasional Frozen Four.

Comment

Originally posted by UpNorthHockey View Post
                    As a UW-Milwaukee alum from the UP, I can tell you that Wisconsin isn't a strong enough hockey state to support two D1 teams in the southern part of the State. Wisconsin ranks 13th in the US, behind Wyoming in per capita hockey players.
                    USA Hockey puts Michigan, Minnesota and New York in their own regions, but groups Wisconsin with Illinois, Iowa and a few other states.
                    Hockey was never even a big deal in Madison before the inception of modern Badger hockey in the 1970s....it's a fairly recent cultural acquisition.
                    In short, despite being sandwiched on three sides by two hockey states, Wisconsin just isn't.

As much as I'd love to see UW-Milwaukee have a D1 hockey team, it's just not in the cards. UWM is primarily a commuter campus with only a modest student involvement in sports. I went there for two degrees and 8 years and never really saw much of a sports presence on campus compared to Michigan Tech, where I also went. The Milwaukee hockey community is growing but is still very small. I played adult hockey there for ten years and I've coached Jr hockey in the area. I just don't see it being a wise investment for UWM at this time. UW-Superior, UWEC or UWGB would have higher chances of success investing in building a D1 hockey community.
                    I'm a UWM alum and couldn't agree more with this. Also can't argue those stats. Wisconsin in general is just not a hockey state and that's ...sad
                    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

I don't care what the per capita numbers say, Wisconsin is a bigger hockey state than Wyoming.

Comment

Originally posted by altazo View Post
                        I don't care what the per capita numbers say, Wisconsin is a bigger hockey state than Wyoming.
                        Based on your extensive knowledge of Wyoming?
                        tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                          Based on your extensive knowledge of Wyoming?
                          Would it not require an extensive knowledge of hockey in BOTH Wyoming and Wisconsin to make an informed statement comparing the two that is a subjective opinion (as opposed to the per capita number which is an objective fact)?

Comment

As an aside to all this, College Hockey News considers the two programs most likely to go D-1 in the near future to be...........drum roll please..............Minnesota State-Morehead or Iowa State. Not a peep about UW-Milwaukee.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...eparations.php

I concede, though, that they are talking in the context of "what potential team(s) might be added to the WCHA?".

UW-Milwaukee, if the D-1 possibility actually has some teeth to it, would, I guess, also be a potential candidate.

Comment

As a current UWM student, I can assure you that while it was a commuter school for a long time, that is simply no longer the case. Milwaukee is now primarily a research institution that draws students from all over the state (not just the Milwaukee area) as well as a few from Minnesota and has seen a huge boom in student housing and on-campus facilities because of it. In fact, next year stands to be the first time that more incoming freshmen will be living on-campus than off-campus and plans are already in the works to build a new student union and an on-campus arena.

As for the second part of the sentence, while that is slightly true, it has much (if not everything) to do with two main factors that would presumably be settled by the time hockey is added... the lack of a football program, and the lack of an on-campus arena. As I alluded to before, plans are already in the works to address the latter.

In short, when comparing the UWM of 2012 to what it probably was when you attended (or what it will probably be by the time we actually field a hockey team, for that matter), you may as well be talking about two different schools.
                              Last edited by illwauk; 03-28-2012, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by illwauk View Post
                                As a current UWM student, I can assure you that while it was a commuter school for a long time, that is simply no longer the case. Milwaukee is now primarily a research institution that draws students from all over the state (not just the Milwaukee area) as well as a few from Minnesota and has seen a huge boom in student housing and on-campus facilities because of it. In fact, next year stands to be the first time that more incoming freshmen will be living on-campus than off-campus and plans are already in the works to build a new student union and an on-campus arena.

As for the second part of the sentence, while that is slightly true, it has much (if not everything) to do with two main factors that would presumably be settled by the time hockey is added... the lack of a football program, and the lack of an on-campus arena. As I alluded to before, plans are already in the works to address the latter.

In short, when comparing the UWM of 2012 to what it probably was when you attended (or what it will probably be by the time we actually field a hockey team, for that matter), you may as well be talking about two different schools.
                                You are either A) one of the many burbs of the Milwaukee area and are oblivious or B) not from the area at all. Mind you all the "student housing" is being built a mile south of the campus. IMO, that is not really student housing. It is off-campus housing that is ridiculously jacked up because the UWM owns it. It also doesn't help that UWM did not renew the contract with Milwaukee County for parking at McKinley Park, so it is forcing students to find housing close to campus because of the lack of parking. Now go back to the Klotsche Center and mope.
                                Originally posted by Skeeterman
                                Lady Wore Black is a hottie.
                                "I love hockey, it is such a great sport. I love how the outfielders use their baseball bats to hit the ball across the ice field, pass the punter for nothing but net shot from downtown." - Unknown

"No matter what happens in college hockey tournament, the Yankees will not win the World Series this year." - Mr. wore Black

Comment

Working...
                                X