Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UW-Milwaukee exploring adding D-1 hockey

Originally posted by icebadger View Post
    FWIW, the Admirals used to average over 8k in the mid to late 90's. Ironically, perhaps becoming a Preds affiliate happened at the same time as the decline in attendance.
    true but that was also when the badger showdown was popular as hell, AND for the admirals, Bob Uecker was doing commercials it had to help a bit
    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
      It wouldn't be huge for youth hockey in Wisconsin. It would be gigantic.
      this is most certainly true, and having a boost to youth hockey in wisconsin as a result benefits hockey in general.

I'd love for it to be UWM getting a team but if Marquette anti's up someday I'd support it (2nd to UW) to support hockey in Wisconsin and hockey in NCAA in general

and imagine how the journal would suddenly treat hockey if Marquette were playing? Suddenly it would be front page news!
      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
        this is most certainly true, and having a boost to youth hockey in wisconsin as a result benefits hockey in general.

I'd love for it to be UWM getting a team but if Marquette anti's up someday I'd support it (2nd to UW) to support hockey in Wisconsin and hockey in NCAA in general

and imagine how the journal would suddenly treat hockey if Marquette were playing? Suddenly it would be front page news!
        My thoughts exactly..

Comment

Marquette would easily get more attention than UWM.
          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
            Marquette would easily get more attention than UWM.
            You...You are correct.
            Originally posted by Skeeterman
            Lady Wore Black is a hottie.
            "I love hockey, it is such a great sport. I love how the outfielders use their baseball bats to hit the ball across the ice field, pass the punter for nothing but net shot from downtown." - Unknown

"No matter what happens in college hockey tournament, the Yankees will not win the World Series this year." - Mr. wore Black

Comment

Originally posted by Lady wore Black View Post
              A worthless POS who married into money. He also let his father-in-law close down the only sheet of ice the city of Racine has every had so he can have a nice penthouse office.
              We know your wife didn't write this. LOL.
              Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
              dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
              wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                We know your wife didn't write this. LOL.
                Huh? I think you have me confused with FTLT.
                Originally posted by Skeeterman
                Lady Wore Black is a hottie.
                "I love hockey, it is such a great sport. I love how the outfielders use their baseball bats to hit the ball across the ice field, pass the punter for nothing but net shot from downtown." - Unknown

"No matter what happens in college hockey tournament, the Yankees will not win the World Series this year." - Mr. wore Black

Comment

I tried bringing this up earlier. Why doesn't Marquette move their club team to D1 if there is enough support in Milwaukee?

- They have a history in the sport
                  - They have alumni with deeper pockets
                  - Most importantly, they already have a club team
                  UWM also has club hockey (they play in the same division as Marquette, although I don't think they play each other) and a student body that is well over twice the size of Marquette's.

just for the record, I don't think either school would add it, but Marquette isn't even talking about it.
                  Last edited by jen; 11-03-2011, 07:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
                    UWM also has club hockey (they play in the same division as Marquette, although I don't think they play each other) and a student body that is well over twice the size of Marquette's.

just for the record, I don't think either school would add it, but Marquette isn't even talking about it.

UWM never had a D1 program. Marquette did. Not saying either school will add a program, but IMO, if one did it would be Marquette.

Comment

I think Marquette is happy putting all of its eggs in one basket.
                      the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                        Maybe. I also think UWM is much more interested in adding football than hockey. I think Marquette would do well if they added hockey IMO.

Comment

UWM never had a D1 program. Marquette did. Not saying either school will add a program, but IMO, if one did it would be Marquette.
                          I'm still not sure how Marquette having a program that's been dead for 80 years makes them more likely than any other school to get one.
                          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

The Admirals may not get 10,000 people a night, but in today's world of pro hockey where franchises come and go like the wind, the Admirals near 40 year existance in Milwaukee is certainly anything but a fly-by-night part of the Milwaukee sports scene. At the time of its construction, the Bradley Center was state of the art and was built with the hope of bringing an NHL franchise to Milwaukee. However nothing more than a few exhibition games were ever played.
                            As for the chances that UWM gets a D-I team, I would say the chances are slim to none. There is a better chance of MSOE going D-I with their team.
                            Ryan J
                            Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                            https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                            Originally posted by geezer
                            Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                            Originally posted by manurespreader
                            ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                              Marquette is also adding lacrosse in the next couple of years, so I would not expect any movement to add a more expensive sport any time soon.
                              UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                                I'm still not sure how Marquette having a program that's been dead for 80 years makes them more likely than any other school to get one.
                                That isn't the only factor I listed, but I do think the fact that they did have a D1 program at one point does mean something. There is history there.

I don't think UWM is serious at all about starting a hockey program, but I do think the resources are there for Marquette to. And with a history in the sport, there should be interest in bringing the program back if the support for the sport exists in Milwaukee.

Comment

Working...
                                X