UW-Milwaukee exploring adding D-1 hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UW-Milwaukee exploring adding D-1 hockey

I'd love to see this happen and would go to games for sure (when I'm not in Madison), but this one is definitely seeing is believing. I mean if Penn State needed $80million to start-up, I just don't see where a school like UWM gets that kind of money for hockey.
    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
      I'd love to see this happen and would go to games for sure (when I'm not in Madison), but this one is definitely seeing is believing. I mean if Penn State needed $80million to start-up, I just don't see where a school like UWM gets that kind of money for hockey.
      Penn State didn't NEED 80 million, that's just what they got.

UW-Milwaukee could do it for significantly less.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
        The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel is reporting today that UW-Milwaukee has hired a consulting firm to explore the option of adding football and men's and women's hockey along with some other minor sports.

U.S. Cellular Arena, where UW-M plays bball now used to be where the AHL's Milwaukee Admirals played before the Bradley Center. That would be a possibility for an arena situation.

We'll see...
        That would be a great move for WI and the sport. Hope it happens!

Comment

the difference is taht penn state didnt really have a ice arena. UW milwaukee has the us cellular arena that can double for hockey.

Comment

My parents-in-law are both UMW alums - I'd love for this to happen just to have a reason to trash talk them before the first ever Cornell/UMW game! Er, I mean for the good of college hockey....
            If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by tristarscoop View Post
              There was some chatter on Twitter that there was big support (read: $) behind this program idea. Not sure if that's just talk talking, but I can't say I'd be surprised. The Pettit/Bradley family has always been incredibly supportive of hockey in Milwaukee. I'd have to imagine that if this program got off the ground, they'd be involved.

It's interesting - the JS story mentions hockey in the same breath as lacrosse and rugby, but the hockey part is the thing that seems to be drawing all the attention.

The story leaked earlier this week about the consulting firm - the leak included the $87,000 price tag - but it only talked about football. The hockey news seems incredibly secondary at this point.
              I got the same sense. To me, it seemed hockey was thrown in as an afterthought.

As for where they might play, I don't know the UWM campus very well, but I would think they might like to be able to move their basketball games back on campus. If they could somehow get enough money to build an on campus basketball/hockey facility, that would be pretty great.

Edit: I found this link.
              Last edited by WeWantMore; 11-03-2011, 06:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                Penn State didn't NEED 80 million, that's just what they got.

UW-Milwaukee could do it for significantly less.
                got ya. I hope it can work out one way or another for UWM but I do have major concerns over the ability to attract fans in Milwaukee. One thing the Badgers learned the hard way is that Milwaukee is a hell of a fickle market and really views hockey as an afterthought, at least judging by the last 3-4 years of the showdown (which wasn't helped by moving to sat-sun format, and an ever more deluded field)
                Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

I don't see Milwaukee supporting three college hockey programs in the area (if you can consider Concordia "supported" ). They'd have to get an on-campus arena to really make this work, otherwise the students won't go. I don't really see them adding a new basketball arena soon - they've been adding a lot of "satellite" buildings partially due to the small campus, so there's not a ton of room, unless they renovate Klotsche YET again. Not sure how the money would work out if they played at the Cell - seems like overkill for a startup. They could probably practice at Wilson Park or something, but I'd prefer they didn't play there because it's a dump (and too far off campus). The Joyce Center is nicer than that hole.

The key to this is they are also exploring FOOTBALL. Football is what will get the community's attention. You can think all you want that college hockey is popular in an insular community like USCHO, but it's not (and this is not just a Milwaukee thing - look at Madison and tell me which is more popular and gets more money). If they add football, they are not going to get money for hockey or anything else that requires significant construction. Alums and corporate donors will fork over money for football, or even basketball, but probably not hockey. "Hey, could you build us a football stadium, donate enough money to start a team, and build a new basketball arena, and oh by the way, we want to add hockey too! and improve the baseball field!" Probably not. Although Bruce Pearl isn't busy. Maybe he should start digging.

and please, it's UWM - not UMW. University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. They're the Panthers. And I bet they would have really badass all-black jerseys. As much as I would love to see my alma mater add D-I hockey - it's not going to happen. If it does, I'll be there - but it's a pipe dream.

edit: just for the record, I don't really think they're going to add football, either.
                  Last edited by jen; 11-03-2011, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tristarscoop View Post
                    There was some chatter on Twitter that there was big support (read: $) behind this program idea. Not sure if that's just talk talking, but I can't say I'd be surprised. The Pettit/Bradley family has always been incredibly supportive of hockey in Milwaukee. I'd have to imagine that if this program got off the ground, they'd be involved.
                    To what extent, who knows? The foundation's hockey involvement is not what it was when Jane was alive. They didn't want to own the Admirals because they didn't make money - that doesn't really scream out to me that they'd donate a huge sum of money to start hockey and build an arena at UWM. But I guess we don't know for sure. It must be true if someone tweeted it.
                    Last edited by jen; 11-03-2011, 08:03 AM.

Comment

I can echo Jen's thoughts.....as an MTU and UWM alum (go black and gold) I don't see UWM adding D1 hockey. More likely, they add DIII hockey (which they could do) in order to setup rivalires with MSOE, Concordia and other UW DIII schools. Keeps the price low and the scope local. UWM's bread and butter is basketball and we all know that Milwaukee is not hockey country. At the last Admirals game I went to, the hockey game was entirely incidental to the pageantry and theatrics....half the audience didn't seem to understand the game. I'm pretty sure the news quote about hockey at UWM was just the AD thinking out loud. I do think UWM is interested in expanding sports, but DI hockey would be low on the totem pole and outside the school's financial reach unless there was a major donor driving the effort specifically for hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by UpNorthHockey View Post
                        I can echo Jen's thoughts.....as an MTU and UWM alum (go black and gold) I don't see UWM adding D1 hockey. More likely, they add DIII hockey (which they could do) in order to setup rivalires with MSOE, Concordia and other UW DIII schools. Keeps the price low and the scope local. UWM's bread and butter is basketball and we all know that Milwaukee is not hockey country. At the last Admirals game I went to, the hockey game was entirely incidental to the pageantry and theatrics....half the audience didn't seem to understand the game. I'm pretty sure the news quote about hockey at UWM was just the AD thinking out loud. I do think UWM is interested in expanding sports, but DI hockey would be low on the totem pole and outside the school's financial reach unless there was a major donor driving the effort specifically for hockey.
                        You can keep the scope local with D1 as well. The program just needs to remain commited to it. I think if the funding is there Milwaukee should jump at the opportunity.

As for the Admirals, not sure theres an easy answer to the poor draws?? Maybe because the local fans know its an AHL team and the players rotate out rather quickly into thei NHL counterpart or via trade?

My "ole timer" thinking is Milwukee should try and commit to the local talent in Wisconsin and grow the sport. Theres nothing like it as a fan, watching the kids play their HS hockey, into their local college(s) and onto the NHL or pro elsewhere..

I hope to see it happen, I think the sport would benifit from having another D1 program in WI..

just my .02

Comment

I could see someone having some cash to finance it, I don't see long term suport from the Milwaukee area being all that great. Hockey is somewhat big in the burbs of Milwaukee, but it still lags behind FB and BB. As stated the Admirals draw about 6,000 with promos up the ***, I think if the Panthers drew 1,000 per game they'd be lucky. The Milwaukee Wave outdraw the Admirals per event, granted there are a lot less home games.

I think if they were smart, they'd just use the Bradley Center and coordinate their schedule around the Admirals. Then it would cost, what, maybe just a couple million for start up?
                          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

At the last Admirals game I went to, the hockey game was entirely incidental to the pageantry and theatrics....half the audience didn't seem to understand the game.
                            That is not unique to Milwaukee, but rather a necessary evil for most minor league teams. I've had the same experience in every minor league arena I've visited. I'm not saying that Milwaukee will support more hockey (obviously, since we already agreed ), but the atmosphere at minor league games shouldn't really be used as evidence against them. In the big picture, Milwaukee actually has average-ish attendance for minor league hockey.

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                            I think if they were smart, they'd just use the Bradley Center and coordinate their schedule around the Admirals. Then it would cost, what, maybe just a couple million for start up?
                            Renting the Cell has got to be cheaper than the Bradley Center, and that's too expensive for the BASKETBALL program, which is a much bigger deal. There's no way they should have an NBA arena that seats 18,000 for a startup hockey program. I don't think they should even have one that seats 6,000.
                            Last edited by jen; 11-03-2011, 09:02 AM.

Comment

UWM CANNOT add DIII hockey... UWM is a full DI institution and as such must sponsor sports ONLY at the DI level. That's why institutions like UConn had to pull their programs up to DI or jettison them.
                              BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                              Skating Friar Jersey
                              AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                              UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                              Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
                                That is not unique to Milwaukee, but rather a necessary evil for most minor league teams. I've had the same expereince in every minor league arena I've visited. I'm not saying that Milwaukee will support more hockey (obviously, since we already agreed ), but the atmosphere at minor league games shouldn't really be used as evidence against them. In the big picture, Milwaukee actually has average-ish attendance for minor league hockey.
                                I think the Admirals are on the low end of that average (The Aeros draw a pretty decent crowd in Houston, maybe thats because it really is a niche sport there)
                                Either way I agree with you, its not indicative of what the draws would be in Milwaukee, College Hockey is a different animal all together. Theres the alum factor, the local factor etc to consider.

Comment

Working...
                                X