• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lady wore Black
    replied
    Re: UW-Milwaukee exploring adding D-1 hockey

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
    Who is CRAIG LEIPOLD?
    A worthless POS who married into money. He also let his father-in-law close down the only sheet of ice the city of Racine has every had so he can have a nice penthouse office.

Leave a comment:

• aparch
    replied

Originally posted by icebadger View Post
    FWIW, the Admirals used to average over 8k in the mid to late 90's. Ironically, perhaps becoming a Preds affiliate happened at the same time as the decline in attendance.
    There is some of that I've noticed with the Chicago Wolves too. A few of the long term season ticket holders still hold a grudge against the AHL, and lament for the "Good ole IHL days," where the washed up veterans could roam freely and there wasn't so many new kids playing every year.

Increased prices may have a bit to do with it too. The economy sucks, operating costs are up, and attendance has been slipping. Quad City and Rockford both saw a steep attendance decline when an NHL team came in and "stripped away all that was good with the UHL" and made them AHL affiliates.

I'm surprised with how good the Admirals have been (made the post season for at last the last five years straight), the fan support isn't bigger. I guess it's because its "minor league" hockey, which will never be "NHL hockey."

Leave a comment:

• icebadger
    replied

FWIW, the Admirals used to average over 8k in the mid to late 90's. Ironically, perhaps becoming a Preds affiliate happened at the same time as the decline in attendance.

Leave a comment:

• 4four4
    replied

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
    I'd love to see this happen and would go to games for sure (when I'm not in Madison), but this one is definitely seeing is believing. I mean if Penn State needed $80million to start-up, I just don't see where a school like UWM gets that kind of money for hockey.
    Who is CRAIG LEIPOLD?

Leave a comment:

• LtPowers
    replied

Originally posted by aparch View Post
    Houston's average attendance is good for 9th in the league. Better than such hockey hotbeds like AHL Toronto (17) and AHL Rochester (25).
    Rochester had really bad teams in recent years. The average will come up.

Powers &8^]

Leave a comment:

• aparch
    replied

Originally posted by mariucci View Post
    I think the Admirals are on the low end of that average (The Aeros draw a pretty decent crowd in Houston, maybe thats because it really is a niche sport there)
    Houston's average attendance is good for 9th in the league. Better than such hockey hotbeds like AHL Toronto (17) and AHL Rochester (25).

Leave a comment:

• aparch
    replied

http://www.mib.org/~lennier/hockey/att.cgi

Last season, Milwaukee averaged 5,796 people for every game, bettering the AHL league average of 5,380. Good for 11th in the AHL for attendance. Most nights the upper bowl isn't open, forcing everyone into the lower bowl (with some awful sight lines in the corners). The only time the upper bowl is on sale is if there is a concert or some special event tied to the hockey game. During their Calder Cup game six against Hershey (2006), there were maybe 500 people watching. For a league Championship.

It's always been a fickle sports town.

Leave a comment:

• mariucci
    replied

Originally posted by jen View Post
    That is not unique to Milwaukee, but rather a necessary evil for most minor league teams. I've had the same expereince in every minor league arena I've visited. I'm not saying that Milwaukee will support more hockey (obviously, since we already agreed ), but the atmosphere at minor league games shouldn't really be used as evidence against them. In the big picture, Milwaukee actually has average-ish attendance for minor league hockey.
    I think the Admirals are on the low end of that average (The Aeros draw a pretty decent crowd in Houston, maybe thats because it really is a niche sport there)
    Either way I agree with you, its not indicative of what the draws would be in Milwaukee, College Hockey is a different animal all together. Theres the alum factor, the local factor etc to consider.

Leave a comment:

• Patman
    replied

Originally posted by UpNorthHockey View Post
    I can echo Jen's thoughts.....as an MTU and UWM alum (go black and gold) I don't see UWM adding D1 hockey. More likely, they add DIII hockey (which they could do) in order to setup rivalires with MSOE, Concordia and other UW DIII schools. Keeps the price low and the scope local. UWM's bread and butter is basketball and we all know that Milwaukee is not hockey country. At the last Admirals game I went to, the hockey game was entirely incidental to the pageantry and theatrics....half the audience didn't seem to understand the game. I'm pretty sure the news quote about hockey at UWM was just the AD thinking out loud. I do think UWM is interested in expanding sports, but DI hockey would be low on the totem pole and outside the school's financial reach unless there was a major donor driving the effort specifically for hockey.
    UWM CANNOT add DIII hockey... UWM is a full DI institution and as such must sponsor sports ONLY at the DI level. That's why institutions like UConn had to pull their programs up to DI or jettison them.

Leave a comment:

• jen
    replied

At the last Admirals game I went to, the hockey game was entirely incidental to the pageantry and theatrics....half the audience didn't seem to understand the game.
    That is not unique to Milwaukee, but rather a necessary evil for most minor league teams. I've had the same experience in every minor league arena I've visited. I'm not saying that Milwaukee will support more hockey (obviously, since we already agreed ), but the atmosphere at minor league games shouldn't really be used as evidence against them. In the big picture, Milwaukee actually has average-ish attendance for minor league hockey.

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    I think if they were smart, they'd just use the Bradley Center and coordinate their schedule around the Admirals. Then it would cost, what, maybe just a couple million for start up?
    Renting the Cell has got to be cheaper than the Bradley Center, and that's too expensive for the BASKETBALL program, which is a much bigger deal. There's no way they should have an NBA arena that seats 18,000 for a startup hockey program. I don't think they should even have one that seats 6,000.
    Last edited by jen; 11-03-2011, 09:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Timothy A
    replied

I could see someone having some cash to finance it, I don't see long term suport from the Milwaukee area being all that great. Hockey is somewhat big in the burbs of Milwaukee, but it still lags behind FB and BB. As stated the Admirals draw about 6,000 with promos up the ***, I think if the Panthers drew 1,000 per game they'd be lucky. The Milwaukee Wave outdraw the Admirals per event, granted there are a lot less home games.

I think if they were smart, they'd just use the Bradley Center and coordinate their schedule around the Admirals. Then it would cost, what, maybe just a couple million for start up?

Leave a comment:

• mariucci
    replied

I can echo Jen's thoughts.....as an MTU and UWM alum (go black and gold) I don't see UWM adding D1 hockey. More likely, they add DIII hockey (which they could do) in order to setup rivalires with MSOE, Concordia and other UW DIII schools. Keeps the price low and the scope local. UWM's bread and butter is basketball and we all know that Milwaukee is not hockey country. At the last Admirals game I went to, the hockey game was entirely incidental to the pageantry and theatrics....half the audience didn't seem to understand the game. I'm pretty sure the news quote about hockey at UWM was just the AD thinking out loud. I do think UWM is interested in expanding sports, but DI hockey would be low on the totem pole and outside the school's financial reach unless there was a major donor driving the effort specifically for hockey.
    You can keep the scope local with D1 as well. The program just needs to remain commited to it. I think if the funding is there Milwaukee should jump at the opportunity.

As for the Admirals, not sure theres an easy answer to the poor draws?? Maybe because the local fans know its an AHL team and the players rotate out rather quickly into thei NHL counterpart or via trade?

My "ole timer" thinking is Milwukee should try and commit to the local talent in Wisconsin and grow the sport. Theres nothing like it as a fan, watching the kids play their HS hockey, into their local college(s) and onto the NHL or pro elsewhere..

I hope to see it happen, I think the sport would benifit from having another D1 program in WI..

just my .02

Leave a comment:

• UpNorthHockey
    replied

Leave a comment:

• jen
    replied

Originally posted by tristarscoop View Post
    There was some chatter on Twitter that there was big support (read: $) behind this program idea. Not sure if that's just talk talking, but I can't say I'd be surprised. The Pettit/Bradley family has always been incredibly supportive of hockey in Milwaukee. I'd have to imagine that if this program got off the ground, they'd be involved.
    To what extent, who knows? The foundation's hockey involvement is not what it was when Jane was alive. They didn't want to own the Admirals because they didn't make money - that doesn't really scream out to me that they'd donate a huge sum of money to start hockey and build an arena at UWM. But I guess we don't know for sure. It must be true if someone tweeted it.
    Last edited by jen; 11-03-2011, 08:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• jen
    replied

I don't see Milwaukee supporting three college hockey programs in the area (if you can consider Concordia "supported" ). They'd have to get an on-campus arena to really make this work, otherwise the students won't go. I don't really see them adding a new basketball arena soon - they've been adding a lot of "satellite" buildings partially due to the small campus, so there's not a ton of room, unless they renovate Klotsche YET again. Not sure how the money would work out if they played at the Cell - seems like overkill for a startup. They could probably practice at Wilson Park or something, but I'd prefer they didn't play there because it's a dump (and too far off campus). The Joyce Center is nicer than that hole.

The key to this is they are also exploring FOOTBALL. Football is what will get the community's attention. You can think all you want that college hockey is popular in an insular community like USCHO, but it's not (and this is not just a Milwaukee thing - look at Madison and tell me which is more popular and gets more money). If they add football, they are not going to get money for hockey or anything else that requires significant construction. Alums and corporate donors will fork over money for football, or even basketball, but probably not hockey. "Hey, could you build us a football stadium, donate enough money to start a team, and build a new basketball arena, and oh by the way, we want to add hockey too! and improve the baseball field!" Probably not. Although Bruce Pearl isn't busy. Maybe he should start digging.

and please, it's UWM - not UMW. University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. They're the Panthers. And I bet they would have really badass all-black jerseys. As much as I would love to see my alma mater add D-I hockey - it's not going to happen. If it does, I'll be there - but it's a pipe dream.

edit: just for the record, I don't really think they're going to add football, either.
    Last edited by jen; 11-03-2011, 08:07 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X