X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ExileOnDaytonStreet
    replied
    Re: UW-Milwaukee exploring adding D-1 hockey

Can't say I disagree with anything you just said.

Leave a comment:

• UpNorthHockey
    replied

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    Milwaukee is indeed a lousy hockey town. As much as I hate to agree with a certain jagbag-not-to-be-named, there are maybe three places to skate in the winter, only one of them has nets that I know of and they're usually locked up until late in the day. This is not the same town that once drew huge numbers for the Admirals and should have gotten an NHL franchise.

On the other hand- and this is more important- Chuck is right that it is changing. There are more kids playing each year there, so the future is bright(er). Granted, that's comparable to saying that Tim Tebow will be having more sex after he gets married, but still...
    As a UW-Milwaukee alum from the UP, I can tell you that Wisconsin isn't a strong enough hockey state to support two D1 teams in the southern part of the State. Wisconsin ranks 13th in the US, behind Wyoming in per capita hockey players.
    See http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/20...tate-by-state/
    USA Hockey puts Michigan, Minnesota and New York in their own regions, but groups Wisconsin with Illinois, Iowa and a few other states.
    Hockey was never even a big deal in Madison before the inception of modern Badger hockey in the 1970s....it's a fairly recent cultural acquisition.
    In short, despite being sandwiched on three sides by two hockey states, Wisconsin just isn't.

As much as I'd love to see UW-Milwaukee have a D1 hockey team, it's just not in the cards. UWM is primarily a commuter campus with only a modest student involvement in sports. I went there for two degrees and 8 years and never really saw much of a sports presence on campus compared to Michigan Tech, where I also went. The Milwaukee hockey community is growing but is still very small. I played adult hockey there for ten years and I've coached Jr hockey in the area. I just don't see it being a wise investment for UWM at this time. UW-Superior, UWEC or UWGB would have higher chances of success investing in building a D1 hockey community.

Leave a comment:

• JDUBBS1280
    replied
    Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    Milwaukee is indeed a lousy hockey town. As much as I hate to agree with a certain jagbag-not-to-be-named, there are maybe three places to skate in the winter, only one of them has nets that I know of and they're usually locked up until late in the day. This is not the same town that once drew huge numbers for the Admirals and should have gotten an NHL franchise.

On the other hand- and this is more important- Chuck is right that it is changing. There are more kids playing each year there, so the future is bright(er). Granted, that's comparable to saying that Tim Tebow will be having more sex after he gets married, but still...
    I just call it like it is. If that bruises egos, then people need to toughen up. If Gopher fans are arrogant, Badger hockey fans are ultra defensive. And anyone who disagrees that Milwaukee is a **** poor hockey town, or thinks that is changing significantly, is fooling no one.
    Last edited by JDUBBS1280; 11-29-2011, 11:50 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ExileOnDaytonStreet
    replied

Leave a comment:

• davyd83
    replied

Milwaukee does have a solid hockey community. BUT does UWM have enough drawing power? Would a matchup between UWM and Northern Michigan or Ferris or Bemidji state be compelling enough to get 3000 hockey fans out to the games? MSOE has had a solid D-III program, tied for first place in the MCHA and they are lucky to get 500 fans into their rink. The Admirals are a solid draw and have been since their USHL days. The NCAA Frozen Four has always done well in Milwaulee. The WCHA tourney did pretty well also. But if Wisconsin wasn't playing, attendance suffered. As a former Milwaukee resident who lived within walking distance of the Bradley Center, I do believe there is a decent hockey market in the city. But I'm not sure there is a UWM hockey market, especially when you consider competing with the Admirals for ticket sales.

Leave a comment:

• solovsfett
    replied

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
    I disagree...it's still Wisconsin which is still a hockey strong state. Like I said earlier, they don't have to draw 10,000 to be successful. If they can get 3,000 to come out on a nightly basis that would put them in the middle of the pack in the country.

Hockey in Milwaukee continues to grow and I'm not sure it's fair to write something off just because of the opinion that hockey isn't strong in that part of the state. Actually programs like the Milwaukee Jr. Admirals are starting to churn out some players and some of the high school programs are really strong (USM has won two state titles recently).
    I very much want to agree with your sentiment but no-one in milwaukee except the few hockey fans there are (and only a fraction of them) would know University School won a State title. but virtually everyone in milwaukee that's a sports fan can name last year's HS BB champion.

and that's the problem w/hockey in general in southeast wisconsin. until the homestead/brookfield/hartland/waukesha/new berlin etc., schools start producing great players that can compete regularly w/Wausau/Superior/Eagle River/Hudson we'll be at this impass were hockey is marginally popular.

3,000 a game would be great but that's what the Admirals are drawing I thought? If that's true (on non-concert nights) that's ugly and doesn't portend well to good college hockey attendance.

we can't even get regular articles on the UW team, though I guess the JS would HAVE to cover a milwaukee team if it transpired.

I don't know. I'd fully support UWM if this happens. I'd go to as many games as I could (with Madison still being my #1 so I guess I'd split my tickets), but I just don't see a clamor for hockey in milwaukee like there *could* be if this was say UW-GB seeking info instead

Leave a comment:

• JDUBBS1280
    replied
    Originally posted by Almington View Post
    That's not what he said at all. I think that Chuck is skeptical that it could ever compete attendance wise with Madison and that you can't expect 10k attendance per game. The question that the UWM needs to answer is can they average the ~3k that they'd need to be in the new WCHA?
    My comment had nothing to do with attendance. I even said in my post that an average attendance of 1,000-3,000 would be fine. And I think a hockey program at UW-Milwaukee would flourish. I just think they have their eyes set more on football and hockey was an after thought comment.

My comment was in response to his statement that hockey is growing in the Milwaukee area and what I perceived to be an underlining sentiment in his post that Milwaukee is anything other than a poor hockey town.

That said, I will admit my perception is based only on what people I know who have lived in the area have told me. And if I misinterpreted what Chuck was saying, then I apologize.

Though I do think not having a single outdoor hockey rink in the entire Milwaukee metro area (if still true) is incredibly sad. That needs to change if hockey is going to grow in that area.

Leave a comment:

• Almington
    replied

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
    You didn't come right out and say it, no. But we both know you think Milwaukee is more than a poor hockey city, which it is.
    That's not what he said at all. I think that Chuck is skeptical that it could ever compete attendance wise with Madison and that you can't expect 10k attendance per game. The question that the UWM needs to answer is can they average the ~3k that they'd need to be in the new WCHA?

Leave a comment:

• JDUBBS1280
    replied
    I never said anything close to that. Reading comprehension...work on it.
    You didn't come right out and say it, no. But we both know you think Milwaukee is more than a poor hockey city, which it is.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Schwartz
    replied

Milwaukee is not a good hockey town, despite how bad Chuck wants it to be.
    I never said anything close to that. Reading comprehension...work on it.

Leave a comment:

• JDUBBS1280
    replied
    Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
    There are no out door rinks in Alabama and they made it work for 30 years. ;')
    And no one would label any city in Alabama a great hockey town, which, if you re-read my post, was the point of that comment

Leave a comment:

• 4four4
    replied

Milwaukee is not a good hockey town, despite how bad Chuck wants it to be. There isn't a single outdoor hockey rink in the entire Milwaukee metro area. That's pathetic IMHO.

However, I do agree with Chuck that you don't need to draw 10,000 people to games to make it work. If they can get 1,000-3,000 people to show up, that would be more than sufficient.

Still doubt they add a hockey program, but it would be cool if they did.
    There are no out door rinks in Alabama and they made it work for 30 years. ;')

Leave a comment:

• GopherBigGuy911
    replied

If MSU-Moorhead and UW-Milwaukee both add D-1 hockey it seems to me that the WCHA will be just fine when the B1G forms.

Leave a comment:

• JDUBBS1280
    replied
    Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
    We'll agree to disagree; I respect your opinions and appreciate your insight. I HOPE it happens being the hockey honk that I am, but I don't see it. We'll see what shakes out.
    Milwaukee is not a good hockey town, despite how bad Chuck wants it to be. There isn't a single outdoor hockey rink in the entire Milwaukee metro area. That's pathetic IMHO.

However, I do agree with Chuck that you don't need to draw 10,000 people to games to make it work. If they can get 1,000-3,000 people to show up, that would be more than sufficient.

Still doubt they add a hockey program, but it would be cool if they did.

Leave a comment:

• MadCityRich
    replied

I disagree...it's still Wisconsin which is still a hockey strong state. Like I said earlier, they don't have to draw 10,000 to be successful. If they can get 3,000 to come out on a nightly basis that would put them in the middle of the pack in the country.

Hockey in Milwaukee continues to grow and I'm not sure it's fair to write something off just because of the opinion that hockey isn't strong in that part of the state. Actually programs like the Milwaukee Jr. Admirals are starting to churn out some players and some of the high school programs are really strong (USM has won two state titles recently).
    We'll agree to disagree; I respect your opinions and appreciate your insight. I HOPE it happens being the hockey honk that I am, but I don't see it. We'll see what shakes out.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X