• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ralph Baer
    replied
    Re: UW-Milwaukee exploring adding D-1 hockey

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    This thread was dead when it started, but it's the off season so we'll keep it going. The Frozen Four is going to be well attended regardless of where you put it because it has national draw like the Super Bowl. You can move the location but the fans will always show up. Unless you are saying that UWM will have one home game every 6 years and it will be sold out, I don't see the logic in the comparison. Most of the folks that fill the seats for those Frozen Fours were not from Milwaukee or WI in my estimation. They are the same people that fill them every year and they go city to city to follow the championships.

I think the UWM D-I hockey discussion is pretty much dead. But on the upside I heard MATC is going D-I in hockey... discuss.
    Ryan J
    MATC? Mass-Amherst at Twin Cities? I didn't know that they had a branch there.

Leave a comment:

• JohnsonsJerseys
    replied

Originally posted by illwauk View Post
    it's not like Milwaukee's support of collegiate hockey is completely unheard of... the Bradley Center has hosted the Frozen Four three times now (1993, 1997 and 2006) and every single game for all three years was sold out.
    This thread was dead when it started, but it's the off season so we'll keep it going. The Frozen Four is going to be well attended regardless of where you put it because it has national draw like the Super Bowl. You can move the location but the fans will always show up. Unless you are saying that UWM will have one home game every 6 years and it will be sold out, I don't see the logic in the comparison. Most of the folks that fill the seats for those Frozen Fours were not from Milwaukee or WI in my estimation. They are the same people that fill them every year and they go city to city to follow the championships.

I think the UWM D-I hockey discussion is pretty much dead. But on the upside I heard MATC is going D-I in hockey... discuss.
    Ryan J

Leave a comment:

• illwauk
    replied

Originally posted by Lady wore Black View Post
    You are either A) one of the many burbs of the Milwaukee area and are oblivious or B) not from the area at all. Mind you all the "student housing" is being built a mile south of the campus. IMO, that is not really student housing. It is off-campus housing that is ridiculously jacked up because the UWM owns it. It also doesn't help that UWM did not renew the contract with Milwaukee County for parking at McKinley Park, so it is forcing students to find housing close to campus because of the lack of parking. Now go back to the Klotsche Center and mope.
    Actually, I've been on the east since I started high school, but I'm sure you know the cliche about what happens when you assume.

Regardless of whether or not you think the North Ave and Kenilwoth Square dorms qualify as "on-campus," they're no further away than the Kohl Center is from the west end of UW-Madison's campus. What matters is... whether in school-sponsored housing or private rentals... 15,000 of UWM's students live in the campus area. That puts us on par with North Dakota and UNO, and even gives us an edge on schools like UMD and St. Cloud.

Could a UWM hockey team expect to see support similar to any of those schools? Who knows? But right now our baseball team is playing in Glendale at a venue that's barely adequate for a D3 school. Common sense dictates that if we're going to spend $60 Million on an on-campus arena, we may as well drop baseball... which is dying at the collegiate level in this part of the country, anyway... and use those scholarships for another sport that could use the arena. Besides, it's not like Milwaukee's support of collegiate hockey is completely unheard of... the Bradley Center has hosted the Frozen Four three times now (1993, 1997 and 2006) and every single game for all three years was sold out.
    Last edited by illwauk; 08-10-2012, 01:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Lady wore Black
    replied

Originally posted by jen View Post
    It's unfortunate if students think they have to move because they can't park at the marina. That seems pretty ridiculous to me. I assume that means they aren't aware of their other, also free, options. Parking and space have always been and always will be a problem at UWM, unless they pick up the school and move it. I think UWM has done a relatively good job with the amount of public transportation and park and ride lots that are available, as well as expanding the campus with a limited amount of space. IMO, the Kenilworth apartments are reasonably priced for the area, considering what they include and the number of amenities, and my understanding is the residence hall prices are on par with the prices at Sandburg.

I don't disagree with anything illwauk said, but as far as a new on-campus arena.. I will believe it when I see it.
    There is one other free parking area, but it is half the size of the marina. It also doesn't help that it is on the north side of town and is always full. You would have to be there at 6am just to get a spot. I know several people that had to move closer to campus because of the lack of parking available. I am not complaining about the public transportation. It is great when you are in the County area. There is no public transportation from Kenosha to UWM and the park and ride is a 2 hour bus ride and only runs 2-3 times a day. Worse, it starts at College Ave.

Leave a comment:

• jen
    replied

You are either A) one of the many burbs of the Milwaukee area and are oblivious or B) not from the area at all. Mind you all the "student housing" is being built a mile south of the campus. IMO, that is not really student housing. It is off-campus housing that is ridiculously jacked up because the UWM owns it. It also doesn't help that UWM did not renew the contract with Milwaukee County for parking at McKinley Park, so it is forcing students to find housing close to campus because of the lack of parking. Now go back to the Klotsche Center and mope.
    It's unfortunate if students think they have to move because they can't park at the marina. That seems pretty ridiculous to me. I assume that means they aren't aware of their other, also free, options. Parking and space have always been and always will be a problem at UWM, unless they pick up the school and move it. I think UWM has done a relatively good job with the amount of public transportation and park and ride lots that are available, as well as expanding the campus with a limited amount of space. IMO, the Kenilworth apartments are reasonably priced for the area, considering what they include and the number of amenities, and my understanding is the residence hall prices are on par with the prices at Sandburg.

I don't disagree with anything illwauk said, but as far as a new on-campus arena.. I will believe it when I see it.

Leave a comment:

• Lady wore Black
    replied

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
    Hooya Hooya!
    Hooya Hooya!

Leave a comment:

• SCSU Euro
    replied
    Hooya Hooya!

Leave a comment:

• Lady wore Black
    replied

Originally posted by illwauk View Post
    As a current UWM student, I can assure you that while it was a commuter school for a long time, that is simply no longer the case. Milwaukee is now primarily a research institution that draws students from all over the state (not just the Milwaukee area) as well as a few from Minnesota and has seen a huge boom in student housing and on-campus facilities because of it. In fact, next year stands to be the first time that more incoming freshmen will be living on-campus than off-campus and plans are already in the works to build a new student union and an on-campus arena.

As for the second part of the sentence, while that is slightly true, it has much (if not everything) to do with two main factors that would presumably be settled by the time hockey is added... the lack of a football program, and the lack of an on-campus arena. As I alluded to before, plans are already in the works to address the latter.

In short, when comparing the UWM of 2012 to what it probably was when you attended (or what it will probably be by the time we actually field a hockey team, for that matter), you may as well be talking about two different schools.

Leave a comment:

• illwauk
    replied

Originally posted by UpNorthHockey View Post
    As a UW-Milwaukee alum from the UP, I can tell you that Wisconsin isn't a strong enough hockey state to support two D1 teams in the southern part of the State. Wisconsin ranks 13th in the US, behind Wyoming in per capita hockey players.
    See http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/20...tate-by-state/
    USA Hockey puts Michigan, Minnesota and New York in their own regions, but groups Wisconsin with Illinois, Iowa and a few other states.
    Hockey was never even a big deal in Madison before the inception of modern Badger hockey in the 1970s....it's a fairly recent cultural acquisition.
    In short, despite being sandwiched on three sides by two hockey states, Wisconsin just isn't.

As much as I'd love to see UW-Milwaukee have a D1 hockey team, it's just not in the cards. UWM is primarily a commuter campus with only a modest student involvement in sports. I went there for two degrees and 8 years and never really saw much of a sports presence on campus compared to Michigan Tech, where I also went. The Milwaukee hockey community is growing but is still very small. I played adult hockey there for ten years and I've coached Jr hockey in the area. I just don't see it being a wise investment for UWM at this time. UW-Superior, UWEC or UWGB would have higher chances of success investing in building a D1 hockey community.
    As a current UWM student, I can assure you that while it was a commuter school for a long time, that is simply no longer the case. Milwaukee is now primarily a research institution that draws students from all over the state (not just the Milwaukee area) as well as a few from Minnesota and has seen a huge boom in student housing and on-campus facilities because of it. In fact, next year stands to be the first time that more incoming freshmen will be living on-campus than off-campus and plans are already in the works to build a new student union and an on-campus arena.

As for the second part of the sentence, while that is slightly true, it has much (if not everything) to do with two main factors that would presumably be settled by the time hockey is added... the lack of a football program, and the lack of an on-campus arena. As I alluded to before, plans are already in the works to address the latter.

In short, when comparing the UWM of 2012 to what it probably was when you attended (or what it will probably be by the time we actually field a hockey team, for that matter), you may as well be talking about two different schools.
    Last edited by illwauk; 03-28-2012, 04:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Red Cows
    replied

As an aside to all this, College Hockey News considers the two programs most likely to go D-1 in the near future to be...........drum roll please..............Minnesota State-Morehead or Iowa State. Not a peep about UW-Milwaukee.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...eparations.php

I concede, though, that they are talking in the context of "what potential team(s) might be added to the WCHA?".

UW-Milwaukee, if the D-1 possibility actually has some teeth to it, would, I guess, also be a potential candidate.

Leave a comment:

• Almington
    replied

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
    Based on your extensive knowledge of Wyoming?
    Would it not require an extensive knowledge of hockey in BOTH Wyoming and Wisconsin to make an informed statement comparing the two that is a subjective opinion (as opposed to the per capita number which is an objective fact)?

Leave a comment:

• SCSU Euro
    replied
    Originally posted by altazo View Post
    I don't care what the per capita numbers say, Wisconsin is a bigger hockey state than Wyoming.
    Based on your extensive knowledge of Wyoming?

Leave a comment:

• altazo
    replied

As a UW-Milwaukee alum from the UP, I can tell you that Wisconsin isn't a strong enough hockey state to support two D1 teams in the southern part of the State. Wisconsin ranks 13th in the US, behind Wyoming in per capita hockey players.
    USA Hockey puts Michigan, Minnesota and New York in their own regions, but groups Wisconsin with Illinois, Iowa and a few other states.
    Hockey was never even a big deal in Madison before the inception of modern Badger hockey in the 1970s....it's a fairly recent cultural acquisition.
    In short, despite being sandwiched on three sides by two hockey states, Wisconsin just isn't.

As much as I'd love to see UW-Milwaukee have a D1 hockey team, it's just not in the cards. UWM is primarily a commuter campus with only a modest student involvement in sports. I went there for two degrees and 8 years and never really saw much of a sports presence on campus compared to Michigan Tech, where I also went. The Milwaukee hockey community is growing but is still very small. I played adult hockey there for ten years and I've coached Jr hockey in the area. I just don't see it being a wise investment for UWM at this time. UW-Superior, UWEC or UWGB would have higher chances of success investing in building a D1 hockey community.
    I don't care what the per capita numbers say, Wisconsin is a bigger hockey state than Wyoming.

Leave a comment:

• solovsfett
    replied

I'm a UWM alum and couldn't agree more with this. Also can't argue those stats. Wisconsin in general is just not a hockey state and that's ...sad

Leave a comment:

• ExileOnDaytonStreet
    replied

An update.

http://m.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/1...phone&dc=smart

The release of a strategic plan for the future of athletics at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee has been delayed until March, according to Athletic Director Rick Costello.

Costello said Thursday that the $87,450 study by Brailsford & Dunlavey, a consulting firm in Washington, D.C., had been expected in January.

The thrust of the study itself has not changed, Costello said. The firm will look at the mission and values in the athletic program, and will study the possibility of either refurbishing the Klotsche Center or building an entirely new arena on campus.

Costello said the study will be released to students and faculty as a means of prompting discussion about the athletic program. The consulting firm will organize meetings on campus, he said.
    On one hand, the focus of the study might be a new arena in town (maybe with ice making facilities?), on another hand- lets not get our hopes up here. It's still not a good enough hockey town for anything more than the occasional Frozen Four.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X