Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UW-Milwaukee exploring adding D-1 hockey

http://www.mib.org/~lennier/hockey/att.cgi

Last season, Milwaukee averaged 5,796 people for every game, bettering the AHL league average of 5,380. Good for 11th in the AHL for attendance. Most nights the upper bowl isn't open, forcing everyone into the lower bowl (with some awful sight lines in the corners). The only time the upper bowl is on sale is if there is a concert or some special event tied to the hockey game. During their Calder Cup game six against Hershey (2006), there were maybe 500 people watching. For a league Championship.

It's always been a fickle sports town.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by mariucci View Post
      I think the Admirals are on the low end of that average (The Aeros draw a pretty decent crowd in Houston, maybe thats because it really is a niche sport there)
      Houston's average attendance is good for 9th in the league. Better than such hockey hotbeds like AHL Toronto (17) and AHL Rochester (25).

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
        Houston's average attendance is good for 9th in the league. Better than such hockey hotbeds like AHL Toronto (17) and AHL Rochester (25).
        Rochester had really bad teams in recent years. The average will come up.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
          I'd love to see this happen and would go to games for sure (when I'm not in Madison), but this one is definitely seeing is believing. I mean if Penn State needed $80million to start-up, I just don't see where a school like UWM gets that kind of money for hockey.
          Who is CRAIG LEIPOLD?
          Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
          dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
          wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

FWIW, the Admirals used to average over 8k in the mid to late 90's. Ironically, perhaps becoming a Preds affiliate happened at the same time as the decline in attendance.
            Randy Schmidt should be / has been fired.
            Exhibit A | Exhibit B

Help Cure MS
            sigpic
            Donate

Wisconsin Hockey: "When you say WISCONSIN, you've said it all!"
            1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, 2006

Circle, circle, dot, dot, dot...

Comment

Originally posted by icebadger View Post
              FWIW, the Admirals used to average over 8k in the mid to late 90's. Ironically, perhaps becoming a Preds affiliate happened at the same time as the decline in attendance.
              There is some of that I've noticed with the Chicago Wolves too. A few of the long term season ticket holders still hold a grudge against the AHL, and lament for the "Good ole IHL days," where the washed up veterans could roam freely and there wasn't so many new kids playing every year.

Increased prices may have a bit to do with it too. The economy sucks, operating costs are up, and attendance has been slipping. Quad City and Rockford both saw a steep attendance decline when an NHL team came in and "stripped away all that was good with the UHL" and made them AHL affiliates.

I'm surprised with how good the Admirals have been (made the post season for at last the last five years straight), the fan support isn't bigger. I guess it's because its "minor league" hockey, which will never be "NHL hockey."

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                Who is CRAIG LEIPOLD?
                A worthless POS who married into money. He also let his father-in-law close down the only sheet of ice the city of Racine has every had so he can have a nice penthouse office.
                Originally posted by Skeeterman
                Lady Wore Black is a hottie.
                "I love hockey, it is such a great sport. I love how the outfielders use their baseball bats to hit the ball across the ice field, pass the punter for nothing but net shot from downtown." - Unknown

"No matter what happens in college hockey tournament, the Yankees will not win the World Series this year." - Mr. wore Black

Comment

I find the "lack of interest in hockey in Milwaukee" some what laughable. While it's not the hotbed of other areas around the state, I'm surprised at the negative outlook that most have in terms of fan base. Sure, they aren't going to average 10,000 a night like the Badgers but I don't see why they can't draw 3,000. If you look at the attendance figures around the country that puts them middle of the pack, by teams like Michigan Tech, Vermont, and Miami.

There are already some nice youth programs in the SE part of the state, but adding a D-1 hockey team in the area would give it a HUGE boost.

I'm certainly not counting my chickens, and don't think this is realistic, but I really hope it is...because it could be great for the growth of hockey in this state.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                    I find the "lack of interest in hockey in Milwaukee" some what laughable. While it's not the hotbed of other areas around the state, I'm surprised at the negative outlook that most have in terms of fan base. Sure, they aren't going to average 10,000 a night like the Badgers but I don't see why they can't draw 3,000. If you look at the attendance figures around the country that puts them middle of the pack, by teams like Michigan Tech, Vermont, and Miami.

There are already some nice youth programs in the SE part of the state, but adding a D-1 hockey team in the area would give it a HUGE boost.

I'm certainly not counting my chickens, and don't think this is realistic, but I really hope it is...because it could be great for the growth of hockey in this state.
                    It wouldn't be huge for youth hockey in Wisconsin. It would be gigantic.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                      I agree, I don't think attendance would be the biggest concern (although it's a concern). Getting the funding and startup costs covered, and getting an arena is more of a challenge. They already have venue issues with basketball and baseball (and probably other sports). Money is not exactly flowing into the UWM athletic department, and hockey is not really going to help the revenue problems they already have.

honestly... and I can't believe I'm saying this... if they're going to add a "big" sport, it's probably smarter to add football instead of hockey. UWM football would be the ONLY outdoor football team in town. There's more choices for hockey. I don't really get a sense of community among UWM alums, and having a football team would help that - moreso than hockey. Football could be used to fund other programs, and maybe hockey or other sports can be added later. There are a lot of alums in town - and football is more popular, by far, and would get more financial support and benefit the entire Athletic Department. I would be concerned about the long-term feasability, though. UWM had football until 1974, although I'm not sure of the details that killed the program. Hockey is an afterthought right now - and probably should be until they solve their financial difficulties.

Comment

Wether it be Milwaukee or elsewhere I think it would be a great move to add another D1 to WI...

Hell even some of the smaller schools could make the transition from D3 to D1 and draw a decent crowd.. Ie Superior, River Falls (just an off the cuff idea, so dont blast me to much for those ideas)..

You folk would know the particulars better than I as far as which schools/programs, I just like the idea and hope it happes for ya..

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
                          I agree, I don't think attendance would be the biggest concern (although it's a concern). Getting the funding and startup costs covered, and getting an arena is more of a challenge. They already have venue issues with basketball and baseball (and probably other sports). Money is not exactly flowing into the UWM athletic department, and hockey is not really going to help the revenue problems they already have.

honestly... and I can't believe I'm saying this... if they're going to add a "big" sport, it's probably smarter to add football instead of hockey. UWM football would be the ONLY outdoor football team in town. There's more choices for hockey. I don't really get a sense of community among UWM alums, and having a football team would help that - moreso than hockey. Football could be used to fund other programs, and maybe hockey or other sports can be added later. There are a lot of alums in town - and football is more popular, by far, and would get more financial support and benefit the entire Athletic Department. I would be concerned about the long-term feasability, though. UWM had football until 1974, although I'm not sure of the details that killed the program. Hockey is an afterthought right now - and probably should be until they solve their financial difficulties.
                          I tried bringing this up earlier. Why doesn't Marquette move their club team to D1 if there is enough support in Milwaukee?

- They have a history in the sport
                          - They have alumni with deeper pockets
                          - Most importantly, they already have a club team
                          Last edited by JDUBBS1280; 11-03-2011, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Has college hockey ever worked at commuter schools in large urban cities? I am thinking about UIC and Wayne State. I always think of Milwaukee as a hoops town. Maybe that is just Marquette.

Comment

Anyone know how Title IX would play into this, if at all? I imagine the boatload of scholarships that football would bring along (assuming D1 obviously) might complicate things a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by AVFC View Post
                                Has college hockey ever worked at commuter schools in large urban cities? I am thinking about UIC and Wayne State. I always think of Milwaukee as a hoops town. Maybe that is just Marquette.
                                Minnesota is a big commuter school. It has certainly worked there.

Comment

Working...
                                X