Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UW-Milwaukee exploring adding D-1 hockey

Originally posted by Star2City View Post

Like you state, maybe UWM and Iowa State can get in the nWCHA, but their aim would be the NCHC, much like BGSU and MSU-Mankato's desire.
    I seriously doubt anyone wants to be in the nchc. And as time goes by even less so. Maybe the reverse though.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Like you state, maybe UWM and Iowa State can get in the nWCHA, but their aim would be the NCHC, much like BGSU and MSU-Mankato's desire.
      BGSU has no such desire to join the nchc.
      If we're indulging fantasies about adding new DI programs...the best of all would be upgrading programs @Buffalo, Kent, and OU, thus creating a MAC hockey conference. let's think big.
      Bowling Green St. Univ. '88 • SUNY Potsdam '79

Comment

Leipold can go * himself.
        Originally posted by Skeeterman
        Lady Wore Black is a hottie.
        "I love hockey, it is such a great sport. I love how the outfielders use their baseball bats to hit the ball across the ice field, pass the punter for nothing but net shot from downtown." - Unknown

"No matter what happens in college hockey tournament, the Yankees will not win the World Series this year." - Mr. wore Black

Comment

UWM has a new athletic director, so things could change, but I would think rght now the impending explosion of the Horizon League is the problem du jour.

Butler left last year. Now, depending on which reports you believe, every team in the league but UWM and UWGB have had talks with other conferences (Missouri Valley, Ohio Valley, A10, CAA, others) about leaving. Teams maybe coming in are Denver (since the Pios can't seem to find a non-hockey home), Oakland, Mich. and UM-Kansas City.

UWM played hoops last year in an on-campus 3,500-seat glorified HS gym. And it didn't help attendance any. There's a big push by many to get them to return to the U.S. Cellular Arena in downtown (what you may remember as the MECCA when the Bucks and Marquette played there). It used to have ice (the Admirals played there, too) but I don't know if that still works.

Upshot is, UWM will look at arena options at some point, including something in the 8-10k range on campus. At that point, it will talk if hockey fits into the mix. But an arena is years away, unless someone shows up with a check. And in the meantime, UWM is likely going to have to deal with simply having a conference to play in as a priority. Don't look for anything soon.
          St. Norbert College Green Knights
          NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
          NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
          NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
          ---
          SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

Like the Big Ten and Penn St. The golden but naive era of college hockey has passed away. Understand the mourning, but markets and money to operate a program at a high level matter.

Nobody that I am aware of, either from the University or fan base, either publically or privately has ever stated that Minnesota State's aim is to get into the NCHC.

From my personal standpoint, why would we want in the NCHC? We should be playing in the NCAA on a regular basis in the future.

Comment

Not that there was a strong chance of UWM adding it, but some news yesterday might be another weight on the "not going to happen" side...

UWM obtained the naming rights for what was most recently the US Cellular Arena, the former MECCA, in downtown. After an ill-fated trip back on campus, UWM moved back to the arena for the D1 men's basketball team last year. As part of the new deal, the Journal-Sentinel story today has this line:

"With the new agreement, talk of a new arena on the UWM campus is dead. UWM Athletic Director Amanda Braun said building on campus did not make sense for the institution."

The little chitter-chatter I had heard about hockey was that if they built a new on-campus facility, they might put in ice and add a team to help maximize its use. I don't get any sense that they'd do hockey downtown. They have a hard enough time attracting fans for Panther hoops.

So, I'd move the UWM hockey chances from an optimistic 5% to almost zero. (Just my two cents...)

FYI - UWM release:
              http://www5.uwm.edu/news/2014/06/26/arena/#.U61ttp0o6M8
              Last edited by GB Puck Fan; 06-27-2014, 08:03 AM.
              St. Norbert College Green Knights
              NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
              NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
              NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
              ---
              SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

Not a surprise at all, really. I was highly skeptical that they'd be able to afford a new arena.
                If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Working...
                X