Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UW-Milwaukee exploring adding D-1 hockey

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • UW-Milwaukee exploring adding D-1 hockey

    The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel is reporting today that UW-Milwaukee has hired a consulting firm to explore the option of adding football and men's and women's hockey along with some other minor sports.

    U.S. Cellular Arena, where UW-M plays bball now used to be where the AHL's Milwaukee Admirals played before the Bradley Center. That would be a possibility for an arena situation.

    We'll see...

  • #2
    Re: UW-Milwaukee exploring adding D-1 hockey

    Go Panthers!
    Originally posted by Skeeterman
    Lady Wore Black is a hottie.
    "I love hockey, it is such a great sport. I love how the outfielders use their baseball bats to hit the ball across the ice field, pass the punter for nothing but net shot from downtown." - Unknown

    "No matter what happens in college hockey tournament, the Yankees will not win the World Series this year." - Mr. wore Black

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: UW-Milwaukee exploring adding D-1 hockey

      Would anyone show up?
      the state of hockey is good

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: UW-Milwaukee exploring adding D-1 hockey

        Doesn't say in the article that they would be D1. Anyone able to confirm it would be D1, or would it be D3 like some of the other UW institutions?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
          Would anyone show up?
          No. They would be at Major's.

          Hockey is not really popular in SE Wisconsin. Unless you live in Waukesha or Kenosha.
          Originally posted by Skeeterman
          Lady Wore Black is a hottie.
          "I love hockey, it is such a great sport. I love how the outfielders use their baseball bats to hit the ball across the ice field, pass the punter for nothing but net shot from downtown." - Unknown

          "No matter what happens in college hockey tournament, the Yankees will not win the World Series this year." - Mr. wore Black

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: UW-Milwaukee exploring adding D-1 hockey

            Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
            Doesn't say in the article that they would be D1. Anyone able to confirm it would be D1, or would it be D3 like some of the other UW institutions?
            UW-Milwaukee is D-1 in all sports.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
              UW-Milwaukee is D-1 in all sports.
              You mean basketball? UMD, SCSU, MSU-M are D1 in hockey, but not in everything else. So, it isn't unheard of to be D1 in some sports, but not others. I was just curious that they didn't specify the level in the article.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: UW-Milwaukee exploring adding D-1 hockey

                Would be great if they do add a program.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: UW-Milwaukee exploring adding D-1 hockey

                  Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                  You mean basketball? UMD, SCSU, MSU-M are D1 in hockey, but not in everything else. So, it isn't unheard of to be D1 in some sports, but not others. I was just curious that they didn't specify the level in the article.
                  UW-Milwaukee is a D-1 athletic department. D-1 basketball, baseball, soccer, ect, ect.

                  It would be D-1 hockey if they went through with it.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                    UW-Milwaukee is a D-1 athletic department. D-1 basketball, baseball, soccer, ect, ect.

                    It would be D-1 hockey if they went through with it.
                    Thanks. Good to know.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: UW-Milwaukee exploring adding D-1 hockey

                      Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                      Would anyone show up?
                      Admirals get 6000 or so a game. Don't know if that's a ceiling, or a floor, or something that's barely relevant whatsoever. Think it might be the latter.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                        Would be great if they do add a program.
                        Surprisingly, I agree with you finally..
                        AF 99

                        M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: UW-Milwaukee exploring adding D-1 hockey

                          Originally posted by WeWantMore View Post
                          Admirals get 6000 or so a game. Don't know if that's a ceiling, or a floor, or something that's barely relevant whatsoever. Think it might be the latter.
                          As a soon-to-be-former resident of the Milwaukee area, I'd like to say that it's barely relevant. I personally never went to an Admirals game. Minor league hockey in a rink where I'll be bombarded with an endless parade of Jock Jams? No thank you.

                          Honestly, I've always thought that UWM was the least likely of the other Wisconsin D-I schools (the other two being Marquette and UW-Green Bay) to go after hockey. I'd be shocked if anything came of it, but I'd sure be excited for Milwaukee if it did happen.

                          From the Wisconsin thread:
                          Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                          Marquette had a D1 program in the past.
                          Yeah... but how long ago was that? The 1930s?
                          Last edited by ExileOnDaytonStreet; 11-02-2011, 10:47 PM.
                          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

                          BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!


                          At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

                          Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                            As a soon-to-be-former resident of the Milwaukee area, I'd like to say that it's barely relevant. I personally never went to an Admirals game. Minor league hockey in a rink where I'll be bombarded with an endless parade of Jock Jams? No thank you.

                            Honestly, I've always thought that UWM was the least likely of the other Wisconsin D-I schools (the other two being Marquette and UW-Green Bay) to go after hockey. I'd be shocked if anything came of it, but I'd sure be excited for Milwaukee if it did happen.
                            Marquette had a D1 program long ago. There is record of them playing Minnesota from 1923-1931. Granted, long ago, but they do have a history with the sport.
                            Last edited by JDUBBS1280; 11-02-2011, 10:51 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: UW-Milwaukee exploring adding D-1 hockey

                              There was some chatter on Twitter that there was big support (read: $) behind this program idea. Not sure if that's just talk talking, but I can't say I'd be surprised. The Pettit/Bradley family has always been incredibly supportive of hockey in Milwaukee. I'd have to imagine that if this program got off the ground, they'd be involved.

                              It's interesting - the JS story mentions hockey in the same breath as lacrosse and rugby, but the hockey part is the thing that seems to be drawing all the attention.

                              The story leaked earlier this week about the consulting firm - the leak included the $87,000 price tag - but it only talked about football. The hockey news seems incredibly secondary at this point.
                              It's a great day for hockey!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X