CAA Football/ Hockey East Rivalry Weekends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CAA Football/ Hockey East Rivalry Weekends

Someone posted this article on the UMass message boards: http://www.gazettenet.com/node/248863

Over there, UMass fans seem to think it's a good idea. What do Maine, UNH and Northeastern fans think? Would you be more willing to go on a road trip if You could watch your school's hockey team twice and in between see the football teams play? If you already go on all the road trips with the hockey team, would you check out the football game too?
    #NewMass

Re: CAA Football/ Hockey East Rivalry Weekends

I'd go for the hockey, I don't want anything to do with our football team. Frankly, I think we should cut the program.
    Arenas Attended
    Matthews Arena
    Agganis Arena
    Tsongas Arena
    Lawler Arena
    Schneider Arena
    Mullins Center
    TD Banknorth Garden
    Conte Forum
    Whittemore Center
    Gutterson Fieldhouse
    Alfond Arena
    Compton Family Ice Arena

Comment

I think this is a great idea. I think, if nothing else, it would entice me to finally travel up to UNH or Maine to catch a game or two. I still don't see me making a weekend out of it, but I would consider taking a long day trip up if both the football and hockey games were being played.

And NUMcNeely, I think NU needs to actually invest some money and get the team to play closer to campus, not cut the program. Who are we, BU?
      Northeastern University
      Hockey East Champions: 2016, 1988 | ECAC Champions: 1982 | Beanpot Champions: 1988, 1985, 1984, 1980

Comment

Originally posted by jjmc85 View Post
        Someone posted this article on the UMass message boards: http://www.gazettenet.com/node/248863

Over there, UMass fans seem to think it's a good idea. What do Maine, UNH and Northeastern fans think? Would you be more willing to go on a road trip if You could watch your school's hockey team twice and in between see the football teams play? If you already go on all the road trips with the hockey team, would you check out the football game too?
        Im out in Michigan and follow a school that doesn't have college hockey yet, (Come On Mega Millions!!), but my school has played late regular season football games up in Marquette and I've taken the time to get up there early enough to take in the friday night game, go out for a bit, crash early, get up early to go Tailgate for the football game and watch GVSU smash Northern, and then I went over to the Berry to cheer for NMU to beat the bloody Irish.

Packaged pretty cheaply, I would have to think that the schools could probably get a bus of students that would want to do this. Clearly, the whole packaged deal, Bus, hotel room and tickets would probably need to be somewhere south of a hundred bucks ideally, but I would bet that there would be people willing to do it.
        bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

We have a football team?
          You know you go to UMaine if...

...you think Bananas is a good name for a giant bear.
          ...you would riot after hockey games but its too darn cold.
          ...you think hockey is the only sport that matters.
          ...you hate UNH.

Comment

Originally posted by NUMcNeely View Post
            I'd go for the hockey, I don't want anything to do with our football team. Frankly, I think we should cut the program.
            Kind of a shame. They were the defending conference champs when I started paying attention to A10/CAA football, and it seems like every year they've gotten worse and every year they come closer and closer to cutting the program. I think these two phenomena are related. Must be hard to recruit when more and more people are talking about cutting the program and must be hard to convince people to keep it when it keeps losing games.

Thanks for the input though. All opinions are welcome, both for and against.

Personally I think this could only help attendance for both sports. I've never been to Orono, but if I could see the football and hockey versions of the Minutemen play a combined three times in a weekend, I'd go up in a heartbeat. I think among Alum (i.e.-those who usually travel to road games), UMass football is more popular then UMass hockey. Makes senses as hockey has only been back for about 15 years. A rivalry weekend like this could convince those who go up for road football games to stick around for hockey. On the flip side, my impression is hockey is more popular at the other 3 schools. My hope is a hockey fans would be interested in checking out the football game.
            #NewMass

Comment

Originally posted by Maineiak View Post
              We have a football team?
              Yeah, and unlike the hockey team, they actually made the NCAA Division 1 playoffs last year.
              #NewMass

Comment

Originally posted by jjmc85 View Post
                Yeah, and unlike the hockey team, they actually made the NCAA Division 1 playoffs last year.
                Making D-1 FCS playoffs ain't saying much. Now making a BCS game that would be impressive.

Comment

NU did that in Maine last year...didn't notice any bump in football attendance though I was there...as others mentioned the football team at NU is terrible right now...

It's a fine idea, can't hurt any...
                  MATTHEWS ARENA

100 YEARS OF HOCKEY HISTORY

Comment

I would definitely go to some BU football road games if they traveled with the hockey team. Wait, I think I might've screwed something up here...
                    Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

BU was once in what is now the CAA for football, so in the past this might have been helpful for them too.
                      #NewMass

Comment

NU's football team is absolutely horrible. I would make the point that the school should decide in the long term viability of the program. If they are not willing to invest big money, then it should be cut. If they really want to keep the program, there needs to be a better venue for them to play at. I mean seriously our field is a joke. So please UNH, kick the crap out of us this weekend so the administration realizes they have to take some sort of action.

Comment

..the school (Northeastern), owns a good sized piece of land in Brookline. (for those of you from outside Mass, Brookline is one of the most expensive/richest.. whatever you want to call it.. places in the state). A nice town. The football field & surrounding land..sits on a residential street. In the boom real estate yrs (like up until end 2007 even).. the U. would've gotten a very nice price for the land from a developer.

Today, they would still make out okay but nowhere near the price they would've gotten a few years ago. That $ could be invested right here on campus towards helping the sports (football) program. I don't know if there are any stipulations on selling Parsons field. For now, football is stuck between a rock & a hard place.. i believe an alum will one day donate serious $ towards the plan of a stadium on campus.. let's just hope there is a football team that exists, we can put in it.
                          GO NU HOCKEY
                          Always bullish on the future.
                          We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
                            I don't know if there are any stipulations on selling Parsons field.
                            If they did sell it, where would Northeastern play its home games? White? The (mythical?) Kraft Soccer Stadium? Nickerson?
                            #NewMass

Comment

good point.. & i don't know the answer (any number of options i'm sure).

The team would gladly give up one yr of playing just road gms or playing 'home' gms in a neutral venue.. if the dream of a campus stadium ever came to fruition (sigh..)
                              GO NU HOCKEY
                              Always bullish on the future.
                              We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Working...
                              X