Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pay for Play is approved: The Rich get Richer. Too Costly for non BCS schools?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dggoddard
    replied
    Re: Pay for Play is approved: The Rich get Richer. Too Costly for non BCS schools?

Leave a comment:

• SCSU Euro
    replied
    Re: Pay for Play is approved: The Rich get Richer. Too Costly for non BCS schools?

Oh good, I was just thinking that as if the top teams weren't stacked enough in the college game, now let's let them throw in more $. Now when a kid is trying to decide between being a 3rd stringer at LSU or starting at Northern Appalachain Valley Community College, there's just one more reason for him to join the big dog in hopes of one day actually sniffing the playing field. And lately when those two teams met LSU's only won by 60... we need to increase that spread.

Leave a comment:

• darker98
    replied

I know that $2,000 would deter me from taking $10,000 and a new car from a booster.

Leave a comment:

• ScottK
    replied

Originally posted by Cat lover View Post
    Does the NCAA think that any of these players(football mostly) really think that $2000 a year will be enough.
    Isn't that a pay cut at some football schools?

Leave a comment:

• bronconick
    replied

Entire idea was Delany looking for a way to keep killing off athletic competition to the Big Ten in particular and BCS conferences in general. $55 a week isn't keeping anyone from taking booster money and anyone that's been on campus knows it's not like the football players are the ones hitching rides on the bus and buying ramen now. People on the bus might steal their $400 smart phones and Ipods.

Leave a comment:

• SJHovey
    replied

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
    I am under the assumption it is all or nothing. It is going to be interesting what smaller schools like the BHHC do. Are they a part of it? If not it is a huge blow to them.
    You think the University of North Dakota won't find 50 grand for their 25 hockey players?

Leave a comment:

• drshoen
    replied

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
    Except I was stating what I wanted. Not what others wanted. I know my school won't cut hockey. It makes money.
    That's true, but when the 58 (no, sorry 57) schools left start looking at budgets, some of them will. Not Big Ten schools, but schools that have to "pay" for FB/BB players may find the $250K by dropping their hockey team. And in the long run, those choices aren't good for hocley as a sport.

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

2000 bucks...

College students are in session probably about maybe 35 weeks...

give or take...

I am whiting out part of my post for the benefit of the posters that constantly complain about math...

2000 / 35 = $57 1/7...

And how much do the Major Junior players get "paid", again?

Leave a comment:

• JF_Gophers
    replied

Originally posted by drshoen View Post
    The problem is that most people not on this board think hockey is one of those "crappy sports" you refer to.

This is not a good thing for most schools, especially those without football/basketball to generate the $$.
    Except I was stating what I wanted. Not what others wanted. I know my school won't cut hockey. It makes money.

Leave a comment:

• drshoen
    replied

If this helps cut crappy sports from the schools budgets, I am all for it.

Leave useless things like lacrosse, rowing, golf, cross country, etc. at the club level.
    The problem is that most people not on this board think hockey is one of those "crappy sports" you refer to.

This is not a good thing for most schools, especially those without football/basketball to generate the $$.

Leave a comment:

• LtPowers
    replied

Leave useless things like lacrosse, rowing, golf, cross country, etc. at the club level.
    What's your problem with lacrosse? And rowing has a long and storied intercollegiate history.

Powers &8^]

Leave a comment:

• Nick Papagiorgio
    replied

This is great. Let's give these kids some money to buy synethetic marijuana and coke. Or bankroll their dogfighting enterprise.

Leave a comment:

• JF_Gophers
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Cat lover
    replied

Does the NCAA think that any of these players(football mostly) really think that $2000 a year will be enough. Funny thing is this rule will probably only
    help those that follow the rules.

Leave a comment:

• Almington
    replied

Originally posted by scoreboard View Post
    I agree. This will ruin football and basketball for starters. College hockey will eventually be just the Big 10, ND and BC. Will be interesting to see how the schools allocate the money. Do football players get the money and tennis players don't? Could there be lawsuits based on distribution of the funds?
    Depends on how the conferences implement the changes, I suspect that most if not all D1 conferences will allow it for both men's and women's basketball, and that as long as the funds are distributed on title IX standards then it shouldn't be an issue to not have all sports receive the extra funding.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X