MSU Spartans 2011/12 - Alum in Sportcoat behind Bench

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MSU Spartans 2011/12 - Alum in Sportcoat behind Bench

There seems to be an extremely amplified ECHO in here.

= = = = = = = = =

So that one will be tomorrow, right? This is probably not an ideal team to have to face right away to open the second half, given where the health of the team is concerned. There's a good reason we got out-shot 23-2 in the third period last Friday. We were basically playing 3 lines. Tonight we were fortunate to get Walrod and Nill back (and Walrod played great), but when you're down to five d-men for the last 20 minutes, bad things are going to happen.

It also doesn't help when your team leaders (or is that singular?) inexcusably give the puck away in the defensive zone with a lazy pass to the middle of the ice. Happened twice. Same guy. Could have been worse on the scoreboard.

I cannot explain the one-timer opportunities on the 5-3 that WEREN'T taken, but Knapp's teammates collapsed down low on defense and with good backchecking thwarted most dangerous scoring chances on the night. We had maybe 2 or 3 odd-man rushes that continued all the way to the net.

So it's going to be a tough stretch here, and it isn't going to get any easier with an equally large Lake Superior team visiting soon.

On the other hand, we get our 2nd-leading goal scorer back (Merrifield), and get everyone else back to 100%, we can get that winning mentality (not to mention goalscoring) back.
    Last edited by owslachief; 01-06-2012, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
      There seems to be an extremely amplified ECHO in here.

= = = = = = = = =

So that one will be tomorrow, right? This is probably not an ideal team to have to face right away to open the second half, given where the health of the team is concerned. There's a good reason we got out-shot 23-2 in the third period last Friday. We were basically playing 3 lines. Tonight we were fortunate to get Walrod and Nill back (and Walrod played great), but when you're down to five d-men for the last 20 minutes, bad things are going to happen.

It also doesn't help when your team leaders (or is that singular?) inexcusably give the puck away in the defensive zone with a lazy pass to the middle of the ice. Happened twice. Same guy. Could have been worse on the scoreboard.

I cannot explain the one-timer opportunities on the 5-3 that WEREN'T taken, but Knapp's teammates collapsed down low on defense and with good backchecking thwarted most dangerous scoring chances on the night. We had maybe 2 or 3 odd-man rushes that continued all the way to the net.

So it's going to be a tough stretch here, and it isn't going to get any easier with an equally large Lake Superior team visiting soon.

On the other hand, we get our 2nd-leading goal scorer back (Merrifield), and get everyone else back to 100%, we can get that winning mentality (not to mention goalscoring) back.
      Friday i thought we played well, given the short bench. Miami played quite well i thought and we had plenty of opportunities to put more than 1 goal up. Knapp made some good saves.

However, i was not able to go to the saturday game and by all accounts it was very disappointing. Looks like Miami took it to us not unlike all our losses(and some wins) against them the last few years under Comley.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaurus View Post
        Friday i thought we played well, given the short bench. Miami played quite well i thought and we had plenty of opportunities to put more than 1 goal up. Knapp made some good saves.

However, i was not able to go to the saturday game and by all accounts it was very disappointing. Looks like Miami took it to us not unlike all our losses(and some wins) against them the last few years under Comley.
        MSU played 5 good periods. But you could see the defeated look and body language speak volumes after Miami got that second goal on Saturday. When you don't score on numerous power play opportunities - takes a lot of starch out of a team. We had our best-looking power play of the weekend near the end of the second period, but that behemoth of a goalie was up to the task.

Comment

Spartan hockey on a boat?
          Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
          66 - 86 - 07
          59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
          59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
            I'm on a boat.

Comment

http://www.ccha.com/miami_player_sus...two_games.aspx.

Grassi's assailant has been hit with a two-game suspension. Now can we get Friday's 3rd period over again?
              At least overtime?

Also, I notice in the below article that Nick Gatt WILL transfer to MSU after all. Unknown whether he's eligible to play next Fall.

Comment

USCHO published an article today saying that Gatt will be able to play next year (as will be the case for the other UAH transfers). You can read that article rightchere.
                66 - 86 - 07
                59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Comment

It appears Merrifield has been practicing this week and will play Friday. Hoomaian is iffy, and Grassi is definitely out. With a week of practice, I'm looking for an improved A.J. Sturges this weekend. Obviously, he was "thrown into the fire" last Saturday, but it was good for him to get those minutes.

Comment

Good series. Started out slow both games but didn't stop playing and fought back. 30 seconds from a full six points, but five ain't all bad. I'm thinking we need to get all six next week with the road trip coming up after that.

Also, does anyone know how to contact the Munn DJ? I have a request...
                    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Here's Tunes by T's website, and they have a contact page. I'm pretty sure T has an official Twitter account too, but I can't seem to find that at this time.
                      66 - 86 - 07

Comment

Here's Tunes by T's website, and they have a contact page. I'm pretty sure T has an official Twitter account too, but I can't seem to find that at this time.
                        Thanks AA.

Big series coming up this weekend. There's a giant log jam in the middle seven teams in the conference. Completely disregarding the other games, a sweep puts us in 3rd. We still have those two games in hand also, but so do five other teams.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

I'm thinking about the Pairwise a bit more. (Yeah, I know, still a little early.)

We still need to recover from getting smacked around by Miami and a straight-up loss to LSSU this weekend would not be good for MSU going forward. I want six, but I think we need five points, especially when you consider the murderer's row on the schedule that's ahead.
                          66 - 86 - 07

Comment

Oh yeah, I agree Pairwise is important too, but actually getting a home playoff series for once will also help toward Pairwise.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

I'm thinking about the Pairwise a bit more. (Yeah, I know, still a little early.)

We still need to recover from getting smacked around by Miami and a straight-up loss to LSSU this weekend would not be good for MSU going forward. I want six, but I think we need five points, especially when you consider the murderer's row on the schedule that's ahead.
                              Consider where we'd be if this team had converted on one more power play a game this Month. I like our chances against Lake State this weekend. We're getting healthier - nobody banged up from the Northern series, Grassi is 50/50 coming back for Friday but I think he'll be ready for Saturday. Despite the near-panic from the crowd in that almost-6-minute power play on Saturday in which we got off 4 shots. But they were 4 really good shots, set up by some pretty good work down low. The bikeophile was simply up to the task. For the first time this month MSU's not facing a behemoth in net.

I believe is sweep is not crazy talk.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                                Oh yeah, I agree Pairwise is important too, but actually getting a home playoff series for once will also help toward Pairwise.
                                Didn't you have a home playoff series two seasons ago???

Owslachief: I wouldn't discount Kapalka, either.
                                Last edited by streaker; 01-17-2012, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X