Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MSU Spartans 2011/12 - Alum in Sportcoat behind Bench

Originally posted by aygwm2 View Post
    It looks like MSU and Michigan both have very tough schedules for the remainder of the season.

Michigan has a tough schedule thru Feb 11th: @ Alaska; MSU (home & home); BC and Tech or MSU; Lake State; @ OSU; @ ND; Miami; @ MSU & @ the Joe. They finish the season hosting NMU and @ BGSU.

MSU plays UoM, then Tech, BC or UoM, Miami, NMU, LSSU, Ferris, OSU. UoM, Alaska, and ends with ND.
    Michigan State opens the GLI against BC at 4 p.m. on the 29th, which is intriguing because it's a chance for MSU to avenge the loss in the Icebreaker. Tech has been better this year, so the second-day matchup - however it plays out - ought to be good. As for the rest of the season, UAF doesn't look very good, but the rest - eek. That said, no one expected MSU to be competitive with Minnesota, and no one expected MSU to go into Kalamazoo and sweep. If they continue to play well and make good decisions, the sky is the limit.
    "It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."
    - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Arwen22266 View Post
      Michigan State opens the GLI against BC at 4 p.m. on the 29th, which is intriguing because it's a chance for MSU to avenge the loss in the Icebreaker. Tech has been better this year, so the second-day matchup - however it plays out - ought to be good. As for the rest of the season, UAF doesn't look very good, but the rest - eek. That said, no one expected MSU to be competitive with Minnesota, and no one expected MSU to go into Kalamazoo and sweep. If they continue to play well and make good decisions, the sky is the limit.
      According to MSU's schedule they play Tech on the 29th and then either UoM or BC on the 30th. See M S U SCHEDULE
      NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

Originally posted by aygwm2 View Post
        According to MSU's schedule they play Tech on the 29th and then either UoM or BC on the 30th. See M S U SCHEDULE
        I sit corrected
        "It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."
        - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Arwen22266 View Post
          I sit corrected
          Should be a good GLI this year with Tech playing better, MSU coming back around, Michigan who knows, and BC #2 right now.
          NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

Looks like we're down to two goaltenders now, with McMahon heading elsewhere.

Regarding tonight - it's a good thing MSU grabbed a two-goal lead, because that was about the most listless 1st period the Spartans have had to date. However, gotta love the way our second line played almost the whole night. Perlini, Berry and Walrod all scored. Berry amazes me with his skating ability in open ice more every time I see him - like he's possessed. And Palmisano, like Yanakeff, is making the emergence of a primary goalie impossible to predict. At first I thought the only goal tonight against him was soft, but on second look he was perfectly screened by his own teammate.

Though Leveille didn't score, I though he played his most solid, smart game to date. His third line is clicking too. So ... 5 goals, none from the top line. This is actually a good sign.

Bowling Green is talented - but raw. The score didn't indicate how much they actually beat Michigan State to the puck for much of the first oh 30 minutes of the game. MSU finally started matching their physicality late in the game.

Edit ==> did we happen to mention that Matty Crandell had a monster game?
            Last edited by owslachief; 12-03-2011, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Sweep.

Maybe it's my still negative mood from the football game, but I feel like we didn't play that well this weekend. I think we got lucky it was Bowling Green and not someone else. I hope this team plays a little smoother next week.

note: I didn't stay for the 3rd tonight, how well did we play? I see two more goals were scored. Had the first ten minutes of the 3rd on TV but missed goal #3 and wasn't really paying attention anyway.
              Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Members of the '86 team (plus Ron Mason) will be at Munn on Saturday night and will be honored for that Nat'l Championship Season.

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                  Members of the '86 team (plus Ron Mason) will be at Munn on Saturday night and will be honored for that Nat'l Championship Season.
                  I miss the freewheeling 80's. That team averaged 5.4 goals a game. The top 2 lines scored 59 more goals than last year's entire team. That was some crazy hockey.

A sweep of the Wolverines sure would be nice this weekend.

Go State!
                  Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency!

Comment

Originally posted by MCB View Post
                    I miss the freewheeling 80's. That team averaged 5.4 goals a game. The top 2 lines scored 59 more goals than last year's entire team. That was some crazy hockey.
                    I'm a gonna put on my '86 champ. DVD some time tomorrow. Who was keeping the linesmen honest from sec. V back then?

Comment

Shootout win. Nice. 2 huge conference points going into the break - that's a good thing to build on.

Comment

I'm teeing this up so somebody can knock it out of the ball park.

Apparently in the remake of Ice Castles, the hockey guy plays for MSU.

Good luck, everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                          I'm teeing this up so somebody can knock it out of the ball park.

Apparently in the remake of Ice Castles, the hockey guy plays for MSU.

Good luck, everyone.
                          Do you mean this, or is there a more recent version?
                          Ice Castles (2010)
                          http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1411276/combined

Comment

Wait.....they remade Ice Castles???? Why was I not informed????? I loved that movie!!

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                              Wait.....they remade Ice Castles???? Why was I not informed????? I loved that movie!!
                              Direct-2-DVD?

Sweet Michigan State script lettering (ah, the days) at 1:20.

Comment

It doesn't get any easier this weekend when Miami comes to town.
                                Merrifield is out, and I'm not sure Nill or Walrod will play. That could be a whole line!

But it should be a fun series nonetheless. Spartans won't be 100%, but this team has shown it can pick up the slack already this season. I believe we can take one from the Redhawks!

Comment

Working...
                                X