Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MSU Spartans 2011/12 - Alum in Sportcoat behind Bench

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
    Gotta love modern medicine and treatment. Even if the doctor is probably a sparty.
    You're a funny guy. Stick to your day job, OK?
    "It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."
    - Mark Twain

Comment

Interesting little nugget in the athletics email that just popped into my inbox: Everyone who attends the Tuesday Skate with the Spartans session will also receive a pair of free tickets to the Saturday game against Minnesota.

So, get to the rink on Tuesday so you can get to the rink on Saturday.
      Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
      66 - 86 - 07
      59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
      59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

Please come Skate with the Spartans ... no excuses the rink had better be packed Friday night - student visits home notwithstanding.

BTW Minnesota is a very legitimate No. #1. They have 4 lines with household names (of sorts) in the top 2 and kids who can absolutely make life miserable for goalies. I was in awe watching them spend about 1:45 in St. Cloud's zone and on the attack while on the penalty kill Friday night.

With Krug out for Friday, things (especially our power play) are going to be very interesting. Let's hope Chelios is ready to go and we can move some forwards one spot to the right - because Wolfe has to sit as well.
        Last edited by owslachief; 11-20-2011, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Proud of the team's performance last night. Played a very disciplined game defensively and did a great job generating offensive chances. We were badly outshot but i would wager that scoring chances were pretty even. We did good things in the offensive zone. Great job by Anastos preparing the team. The first 15 minutes of the first period were fantastic and then things really got away from us in the last 5. The first couple shifts of the second period were the same and I figured we would be hanging on for dear life for the rest of the game but we recovered nicely.

Getting the win without Krug and Wolfe is awesome and unexpected.

Also, way bigger crowd than the announced 5200...I bet it was at least 6000. No idea why it was announced so low.

Comment

Really proud of the men in green and white this weekend, handing Minnesota their first Saturday blemish this season. Great, tenacious play on both nights, and pretty solid resiliency tonight after briefly trailing. A very entertaining series.

Also, I never want to hear Anthony Lapanta again. That FSN-N telecast was a disgrace at best.
            Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
            66 - 86 - 07
            59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
            59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
              Also, I never want to hear Anthony Lapanta again. That FSN-N telecast was a disgrace at best.
              Almost as disgraceful as the officiating.

That said, it didn't decide the outcome. Good job, now win out please.
              the state of hockey is good

Comment

Really proud of the men in green and white this weekend, handing Minnesota their first Saturday blemish this season. Great, tenacious play on both nights, and pretty solid resiliency tonight after briefly trailing. A very entertaining series.

I don't know why you hated him so much. He was way more excited when the Spartans scored.
                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

I was really interested to see how the second game would play out, knowing how Minnesota has responded to Friday losses so far this year, but at the same time - facing a confident team in Michigan State with two difference-makers returning. I saw far fewer giveaways from the defensive end tonight for State, and Wolfe gave us a more dangerous rush than we could muster last night. That 2nd goal with Wolfe feeding the low slot was a playmaker's play.

That third period turned obviously because of Leveille's breakaway (with a pursuer all over him) - but I think MSU did a great job finishing checks tonight. That kind of actually started taking both a mental and physical toll on the Gophers. I believe you can chalk this weekend up to hard work and conditioning; this sort of thing couldn't happen last season. Seemed Minnesota was getting a little frustrated because they couldn't put this team away ... maybe we metaphorically bloodied their noses a little bit.

So from a 1-3 start, the Spartans have gone 7-2-1 - including 3 of the last 4 weekends undefeated. Kind of satisfying after reading the - OK - somewhat expected ridicule for the coaching change. 7-2-1, 2 sweeps, a split and another undefeated weekend. Hey, that's also a 3-1-1 record against top 5 opponents on the year, too.

Let's see what December brings. Time to earn some conference points.

Comment

Went to the game tonight after skipping out on last night. Couldn't see making the drive back to campus three times on a five day break. The seats they gave me for this series were on the opposite end of the rink from the Slapshots, and some of my friends had seats away from them as well, so I don't really know how the rest of the Slapshots all got tickets in that section for the game. Anyway, sitting at the other end made me realize how quiet we actually are. I thought we were a lot louder. I'm not really sure how we can get much louder outside from adding more students, because most of the time we're cheering best we can. Best way to make Munn loud would be to fill the arena with 6000 ten year olds and just flash "scream" on the video board. I think my ear drums burst from the five kids three rows behind me every time they showed that on the screen tonight. But nonetheless great atmosphere and usually something we don't see outside of UM. I'm hoping this becomes the norm come B1G Conference time.

Anyway onto the game. Minnesota is big. They had more fire power. We capitalized on our opportunities more, however. The only one I really remember us not getting was with about 45 seconds left in OT, open net and went a little wide. But I'll take a win and a tie from the #3 team in the nation. Strange celebrating the tie so wildly, but it went along with the trophy. I almost wish the trophy was with Wisconsin. A rivalry with Minnesota in hockey is cool, but with a basketball rivalry with Wisconsin, and a football one starting, it would be great if hockey could get in on it and have MSU/UW become rivals in everything. Who knows, maybe it will happen in a couple years.

Next week should be an easy six pointer and a good boost in the standings. There's going to be trouble Saturday with attendance though. Hollis either needs to move the start time to 4 or 5, or they need to reschedule the food pantry to Michigan the week after, probably both. One, not many will show up for BGSU anyway, so moving it to the Michigan game will get way more donations (unless this is a donation gets you entry thing, I wasn't really paying attention to the announcement, that way i can see why it's for BGSU). Two, they need to move up the start time. Football starts at 8:00, and right now a 6:00 face off is scheduled. As it stands I'll be leaving after the second period. I think I've somewhere around 220-230 MSU hockey games my lifetime, I have never seen MSU in the Rose Bowl, and no one has ever seen them in a conference championship game. Now I'm the biggest college hockey fan I know, but in this case football gets precedence, and I think for most it will be the same. I'm putting the o/u on Saturday attendance at 2,500 (actual, not paid, I'm not sure which one they report).
                    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Though we're waiting to see how the TUC's stack up, still it's intriguing to note that as of today, MSU is #9 in Pairwise.

Comment

Well, I am sure we are all enjoying the steady improvement of the team so far and the pretty wonderful weekend we just had but this next series is important. We need to take 6 points from BG this weekend and as much as i have wanted them to succeed this year, we must continue their misery for another week.

Just glancing at their game stats, i feel like the falcons have improved and are a better team than previous seasons but are not getting the wins in CCHA play. We are gonna need to continue our good play because i suspect that we will be in for 2 tougher games than most will be expecting.

Michigan's struggles are intriguing as well. It will be interesting to see how they get up for 2 games up in the frozen north. I am hoping for a downtrodden and very much lacking in confidence Wolverine squad in 2 weeks.

Comment

First off, great series for Sparty. I came away very impressed with your team. Hats off to you guys on a much deserved 3pts.

As for the broadcast, even Gopher fans hate LaPanta, but trust me, FSN's broadcast is light years better than the BTN's. We've had two games on the BTN this year so far, and commentary and camera work have been brutal.
                          Last edited by JDUBBS1280; 11-28-2011, 03:41 PM.

Comment

It looks like MSU and Michigan both have very tough schedules for the remainder of the season.

Michigan has a tough schedule thru Feb 11th: @ Alaska; MSU (home & home); BC and Tech or MSU; Lake State; @ OSU; @ ND; Miami; @ MSU & @ the Joe. They finish the season hosting NMU and @ BGSU.

MSU plays UoM, then Tech, BC or UoM, Miami, NMU, LSSU, Ferris, OSU. UoM, Alaska, and ends with ND.
                            Last edited by aygwm2; 11-28-2011, 04:35 PM.
                            NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

Originally posted by aygwm2 View Post
                              It looks like MSU and Michigan both have very tough schedules for the remainder of the season.

Michigan has a tough schedule thru Feb 11th: @ Alaska; MSU (home & home); BC and Tech or MSU; Lake State; @ OSU; @ ND; Miami; @ MSU & @ the Joe. They finish the season hosting NMU and @ BGSU.

MSU plays UoM, then Tech, BC or UoM, Miami, NMU, LSSU, Ferris, OSU. UoM, Alaska, and ends with ND.
                              It would seem that the CCHA is quite competitive this year. Only BG appears to be an easy two wins and i am somewhat convinced that even they do not actually provide that.

One thing that is in MSU's favor is long stretches of home games after christmas.

Comment

Better than expected. The best games except last weekend have been away apparently.
                                All hail the Big Ten and our Network!
                                There thou beholdest the walls of Sparta, and every man a brick. -Lycurgus , 850 B.C

Comment

Working...
                                X