UMass 09-10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMass 09-10

Yeah, definitely would have wanted a more locked down game out of the guys tonight. The third goal was open net on a play where UMass was skating up ice as Madore, the UVM goalie, was coming out. Even then the minutemen almost missed that opportunity.

One thing I seemed to see a lot of was a strong UVM defense around their goal. UMass attackers were getting good penetration but were stuffed by the UVM defense when it came time to shoot. And I'm not talking fourth string guys, i'm talking about guys like Will Ortiz. UMass, alternatively, got a great game from Dainton. The defense wasnt stellar but Dainton still seemed to get in front of the shots.

Either way, great game 1 of a weekend set. I just hope UVM doesnt pounce on us early tomorrow.
    Vote Marcou for Hobey Baker

Comment

Originally posted by MinutemanFan View Post
      Yeah, definitely would have wanted a more locked down game out of the guys tonight. The third goal was open net on a play where UMass was skating up ice as Madore, the UVM goalie, was coming out. Even then the minutemen almost missed that opportunity.

One thing I seemed to see a lot of was a strong UVM defense around their goal. UMass attackers were getting good penetration but were stuffed by the UVM defense when it came time to shoot. And I'm not talking fourth string guys, i'm talking about guys like Will Ortiz. UMass, alternatively, got a great game from Dainton. The defense wasnt stellar but Dainton still seemed to get in front of the shots.

Either way, great game 1 of a weekend set. I just hope UVM doesnt pounce on us early tomorrow.
      UVM is such a different team without guys like Lenes and Stalberg. I realized that a lot tonight.
      Let the Rebuilding Begin

Comment

Well 3-0 seems a lot uglier than it was. UMass out shot the Catamounts all game but just couldnt find the back of the net the entire game. Kudos to Madore (31 Saves) and the UVM defense once again for stonewalling the boys tonight.

Where has our powerplay gone recently? 13 UVM penalties on the weekend with nothing to show for 'em. In the past four games, only 2 PP goals with opposing 28 penalties.

Comment

Originally posted by umassfan49 View Post
          UVM is such a different team without guys like Lenes and Stalberg. I realized that a lot tonight.
          Aside from Milo there is no one to really fear. Irwin has scored but there is no sense of fear/respect from the other teams (unlike you guys with Marcou and Wellman).

Comment

Originally posted by MinutemanFan View Post
            Well 3-0 seems a lot uglier than it was. UMass out shot the Catamounts all game but just couldnt find the back of the net the entire game. Kudos to Madore (31 Saves) and the UVM defense once again for stonewalling the boys tonight.

Where has our powerplay gone recently? 13 UVM penalties on the weekend with nothing to show for 'em. In the past four games, only 2 PP goals with opposing 28 penalties.
            UVM has to rely on the D staying decent. The scoring is way too hit or miss for them. Good weekend for both sides at the end of the day. Aside from the penalties it was a matter of puck bounces not complete breakdowns.

Comment

So what do you guys think? UVM is a fringe team--sitting at 10th in the PWR. Are they good enough to make the tourney? If they make it do they make it out of the regional?
              Go Pioneers!

Comment

Originally posted by MagnessMan View Post
                So what do you guys think? UVM is a fringe team--sitting at 10th in the PWR. Are they good enough to make the tourney? If they make it do they make it out of the regional?
                They split with DU in Denver, beat UMD and Yale while they still have a long way to go I am not sure 10th in PWR is fringe. UVM does reasonable well out of HE, if they can just survive and get in they will do fine in the tourney.

Comment

I would put money on them making the tourney. Didn't they make the Frozen Four last year? I think that would show strong post-season results, so they would be able to do well in the HE playoffs.

I don't think that we have a good chance on catching up to UNH, but we need some wins to keep us in second, since we couldn't pull ahead of BC

Comment

also, thats the first UMass game i have been to that we haven't scored at least one goal. does anyone know how long its been since our last shutout? (maybe i just didn't go to a recent one)

Comment

Originally posted by surferben182 View Post
                      also, thats the first UMass game i have been to that we haven't scored at least one goal. does anyone know how long its been since our last shutout? (maybe i just didn't go to a recent one)
                      UMass was shutout 3 times last season, and two were in back to back games in November. They lost to UML 2-0 at home, and then at BC 2-0. Their last shutout was Feb 6th of 2009, losing at BC again 2-0.
                      Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                      2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                      2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                      2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                      2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by umassfan49 View Post
                        UMass really never had their hearts set on Carr, as Kevin Boyle, who has committed to coming most likely after Dainton graduates will be the starter of the future.
                        UMass Blog Fear The Triangle says UMass was recruiting G Vienneau of Kingston OJHL.

Comment

Boyle is struggling a bit this year in the AtlJHL, so I think the coaching staff is keeping their recruiting options open at goaltender. But overall I think Boyle is considered to be a better goaltender than Carr. Vienneau appers to be rated higher than either of them.

Thanks for reading FTT, ecacwatcher.
                          MASSACHUSETTS HOCKEY
                          NCAA Appearance: 2007
                          1972 Division II Champions

DII Playoffs : 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974

UMass Hockey Blog:
                          http://fearthetriangle.com/

Comment

I think that they can make the tourney but its going to be in one of those lower spots. As far as making it out of the regional, I dunno. It is a typical answer but i think it really comes down to the matchups they get.

Comment

UMass has been turning more than a few heads this year. Apparently the NHL has taken note of Wellman in particular. Per Kyle Woodlief of Redline report:

"It's that time of the season when NHL clubs are starting to zone in on U.S. college free agents who will be available to sign once the college season ends in about 2½ months. We've been following a few of the top free agents, and one in particular has caught our fancy.

UMass-Amherst sniper Casey Wellman has potted 17 goals in 20 games to give him a share of the lead nationwide in goals. The 6-1, 185-pound right wing is only a sophomore (the fact that he's 22 years old and in his second year of college is another story altogether), but should be receiving plenty of offers this spring. Indications are he's ready to leave the classroom immediately if NHL clubs come calling.

The kid has excellent athletic genes as he's the son of former major league baseball infielder Brad Wellman. Casey has an NHL-caliber snap shot and slap shot with very good accuracy. He has great speed and quickness for a guy his size and uses it to beat defenders to the outside. He's also really good at finding the seams in the defense and getting open for his shot, and he's always at the ready with his stick on the ice for an immediate release."

Casey has certainly earned this notoriety - it is well earned - but as a college hockey fan I find it to be good-news / bad news.

Comment

Gallery added to recap - http://www.uscho.com/recaps/20092010/m/02/05/bc-uma.php

Help repair my camera gear before the new season starts
                                HockeyPhotography.com - use search to find images of your favorite college player and order prints
                                HockeyPhotos on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                                X