Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2011-12 Vermont Season Thread (Vezina & Conn Smyth trophy edition)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2011-12 Vermont Season Thread (Vezina & Conn Smyth trophy edition)

The SHG by Schaller was straight up hustle by him and pure laziness by the Catamounts. The PC forward took a 170 foot shot on goal from his end. It took a funny bounce on the ice that handcuffed Madore. Schaller was digging hard from the get go on the shot while the UVM defender was gliding until the shot took the bad bounce. It was too late as Schaller had the head of steam and beat him to it.

PC is a grinder type team that has been playing more offensive this year. Schaller had eight goals in his career coming into last night so he wasn't a scoring machine but the kid has been playing well all season under Coach Leaman getting first line time and being a big force in front of the net.
    Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

I would love to know which one of the UVM D was dogging it back on the SHG, they should sit tonight (even though UVM's depth on D is weak as noted versus Merrimack)

Comment

Originally posted by snwbrdr View Post
        I would love to know which one of the UVM D was dogging it back on the SHG, they should sit tonight (even though UVM's depth on D is weak as noted versus Merrimack)
        I don't recall...it was a simple clear by PC that looked like it was going wide, took a weird bounce and that was when showed that the guy was gliding.
        Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

This team is way better then they are playing. There is no need for these results and no excuse.
          Originally posted by Hokydad
          Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

• Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
            This team is way better then they are playing. There is no need for these results and no excuse.
            Agreed. 100% on point. One new concern is I saw McCarthy in the stands in the third with his arm in a sling. He was with his dad and they both looked concerned. Hope it's nothing serious..

Friday Madore was brutal. Saturday Vazzano was in a shooting gallery. He made some nice saves. Doesn't seem like defensively guys are clearing their man out or the puck and I don't just mean the defenseman.

The two calls that put us on a 5-3 PK were brutal. Stalberg seemed out of it this weekend. Brickley is playing really hard. The PP could finish the year behind Wayne State and they dropped hockey years ago.

Well hopefully they can flush this and get back to the team that played with passion against Minnesota.

Comment

Getting outscored 10 to 3 by one of the (other) weakest teams in the country pretty much sums it up. As did losing to the high school kids after two weeks of practice. My initial instinct after seeing them in that exhibition was right on, and that 2nd game at Minnesotta was clearly an aberration.

Despite having significant talent on this team I do not see any chance of this team making the playoffs and I think winning 8 games is probably beyond reach given how they are getting worse by the week.

Fundamentally I think the recruiting has been ok (this freshmen class was considered a top class by many) but the sum of the parts is way less than the individual talents. Sneddon has to start taking blame.

The power play is embarrasing and has been for years. I am thinking of making a donation to the athletic dept specifically to hire a PP consultant. Anyone want to contribute to the cause?

The upside - no lines exiting the parking lot this season. We are the new UML!! Ugh!

Comment

Originally posted by snwbrdr View Post
                We are the new UML!! Ugh!
                I know what you were trying to say, but we're more like the "old" UML--you know, the one the sucked. The "new" UML plays hard and is actually pretty good.

Agree that Sneddon's part of the problem. How can the team be so consistently unprepared to play good hockey? Or to play with effort?

Comment

I was at both games this weekend; they gave up too many easy goals and went 0-15 on the power play that includes a 5 minute major. The Cats had many opportunities and could not finish. I was really disappointed in their effort. Providence has improved but having said that, you can’t come away from a 2 game set with these guys and have anything less than 2 points. Providence plays in that tiny rink and they build their team to fit, they can be tough at home and have improved this season but losing 2 games to Providence is just plain unacceptable. I think somebody said it earlier but giving up a hat trick to Schaller is ridiculous, it was really sad to see the Cats just let opposing players stand in front of their net and not pay a price. I had a little hope after the first 4 games against good opponents but this weekend was a real eye opener, it’s gonna be a long season folks!

Comment

Have seen 10+ games so far this season. UVM is easily the worst team I have seen play, including Lowell and U Mass.
                    Zero leadership, to many stupid penalties and no consistant goal scorers
                    Scaller is a very good player, better than any F on UVM and will play pro hockey. Was at Blackhawks dev camp and they liked him a lot.

Comment

I gotta agree, I have seen about 10 games and we are the worst team I have seen play so far this year too. This weekend put it into perspective for me dropping two to Providence. I thought both teams played very undisciplined and took stupid penalties, but you can do that against us, we won’t take advantage of a power play, saying our power play is horrible is an understatement. Nice to see Providence playing a better brand of hockey this season, the new coach is doing a nice job. We will have to disagree on Scaller, he improved a lot from last year but to me Brickley looked like the best player on the ice, solid on both ends, Scaller made a few bad defensive plays, especially Friday but no worries, we won’t turn them into goals!

Comment

• Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                        Have seen 10+ games so far this season. UVM is easily the worst team I have seen play, including Lowell and U Mass.
                        Zero leadership, to many stupid penalties and no consistant goal scorers
                        Scaller is a very good player, better than any F on UVM and will play pro hockey. Was at Blackhawks dev camp and they liked him a lot.
                        Hokydad is a moron. Did the Blackhawks inform you of their love. You are an idiot. You lose all credibility with asinine comments.

Comment

First off, FO

Second, since you asked, Ronnie Anderson, who is the Chicago college/amateur scout for this region told me that after the Duluth series. Said it again after last nights game.
                          Better than any UVM forward all weekend. You dont get points for telling people you are good, you get them for produing and winning

Comment

• Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                            First off, FO

Second, since you asked, Ronnie Anderson, who is the Chicago college/amateur scout for this region told me that after the Duluth series. Said it again after last nights game.
                            Better than any UVM forward all weekend. You dont get points for telling people you are good, you get them for produing and winning
                            Thin skin eh. You right you get points for produing whatever that is.

Comment

Not to kick anyone while they're down but... It's apparent right now that PC is nowhere near the worst team in Hockey East. Sorry, Everyone Who Knows More Than Jon About College Hockey (including Jon, BTW).

Also, we take no responsibility for Hokydad. In fact, it's in our best interest to think that UVM is thiiisssss close to turning things around.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                              -Blackadder
                              "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                              -Casablanca
                              "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                              -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by HOCKEYGUY23 View Post
                                Thin skin eh. You right you get points for produing whatever that is.
                                true, that is what uvm did, not produce, they spell it produing. schaller spells it producing. little hat trickplus another goal and ast for a 6 pt weekend. more than the uvm team combined

Comment

Working...
                                X