Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2011-12 Vermont Season Thread (Vezina & Conn Smyth trophy edition)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2011-12 Vermont Season Thread (Vezina & Conn Smyth trophy edition)

At the start of the season truthfully I thought we were a .500 team if the freshman came in and provided some scoring.

Then we lost mcCarthy and the freshman D were having more trouble adjusting to D1 than the Medvec/Miller/Lawson group did and
    thus a .500 team was not very likely considering the league we play in.

Then Brickley went down and even thou the team is playing better and the scores are close we lack the scoring touch to finish and
    thus we keep coming up just short game after game.

After Stalberg the next 3 best forwards right now are freshman which is good for next year, if the freshman were not scoring and
    we were losing close games than I would be really worried.

Umass is undefeated at home and we played them right down to the end, better than BC did in losing a few days before 4-0.

#1 thing for the last month should be NO BAD INJURYS and NO PLAYER DEFECTIONS...we get that and maybe next year we can
    stop talking about moral victorys.
    New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

Originally posted by Martin St. Louis Fan View Post
      I just don't understand why they ride a sr goalie into the ground while a goalie who is SUPPOSE to be the mix next year does not even get a period in a non league game. I just feel having a experienced goalie in net at the start of next year could help out with the freshmen just getting a taste of HE play. I really like Sneddon, lets just hope this plays out well.
      I think it has to Sneddon's belief that "until someone tells me we're mathematically eliminated, we're still fighting for a playoff spot this year." If things continue as they have been, that might change after this weekend.

Comment

I'm happy Thomas did what he did. It needed to be done and he made a point. And not everyone that went to UVM in that era is brainwashed liberal (although many are)

We suck this year for the following reasons:
        1. We are VERY VERY young (look at UML last year versus this year).
        2. Our young D did not adjust well. Below expectations.
        3. We lost our best playmaker early - McCarthy.
        4. Goaltending has ranged between horrible and average, with most of it being closer to horrible than average. Addition by subtraction next year.

The positive:
        Markinson is going to be a monster if he continues to improve his finish. The kid can fly.
        Reynolds has a lot of potential and should continue to develop. he has some finish to him.
        Montagna shows positive signs.

For 12/13 - we need Stalburg to stay, Brickley to stay, McCarthy back as planned from injury, Fallon to be a TEAM player and not a distraction AND be more of a skilled addition than B. Bruneteau has been this year, the new goalie recruit to be an average HE goalie (which is an upgrade from Madore 2011.2012), and Girgensons to show up. If that all happens and you combine it with Markinson, Reynolds and Montagna we have a viable team that can compete for mid pack or better finish.

I think all that happens except possibly Girgensons. He is the biggest risk, followed by Fallon being a big addition to the team and not a distraction.

It's too bad that McCarthy, Brickley and Lukkoo are each losing the better part of a season or a half a season each of development. McCarthy was going to be a .75/point per game player and would have helped Stalburg be better. Brickley was coming on very strong before being injured.

Next year I'm hoping to see Girgensons play with Brickley and Markinson and McCarthy with Stalburg and Reynolds. Those are both nearly as good as any lines in HE I believe. There is a big drop off from there but next year our fourth line should be as good as our 3rd this year and our 3rd line as good as our second this year. The question is at D. I have no idea what to expect. Could be some high scoring games.

I'm also looking forward to seeing Deluca play with Markinson and Reynolds in 13/14 and 14/15.

THIS WEATHER SUCKS. WE NEED SOME SNOW

Comment

Originally posted by snwbrdr View Post
          I'm happy Thomas did what he did. It needed to be done and he made a point. And not everyone that went to UVM in that era is brainwashed liberal (although many are)

We suck this year for the following reasons:
          1. We are VERY VERY young (look at UML last year versus this year).
          2. Our young D did not adjust well. Below expectations.
          3. We lost our best playmaker early - McCarthy.
          4. Goaltending has ranged between horrible and average, with most of it being closer to horrible than average. Addition by subtraction next year.

The positive:
          Markinson is going to be a monster if he continues to improve his finish. The kid can fly.
          Reynolds has a lot of potential and should continue to develop. he has some finish to him.
          Montagna shows positive signs.

For 12/13 - we need Stalburg to stay, Brickley to stay, McCarthy back as planned from injury, Fallon to be a TEAM player and not a distraction AND be more of a skilled addition than B. Bruneteau has been this year, the new goalie recruit to be an average HE goalie (which is an upgrade from Madore 2011.2012), and Girgensons to show up. If that all happens and you combine it with Markinson, Reynolds and Montagna we have a viable team that can compete for mid pack or better finish.

I think all that happens except possibly Girgensons. He is the biggest risk, followed by Fallon being a big addition to the team and not a distraction.

It's too bad that McCarthy, Brickley and Lukkoo are each losing the better part of a season or a half a season each of development. McCarthy was going to be a .75/point per game player and would have helped Stalburg be better. Brickley was coming on very strong before being injured.

Next year I'm hoping to see Girgensons play with Brickley and Markinson and McCarthy with Stalburg and Reynolds. Those are both nearly as good as any lines in HE I believe. There is a big drop off from there but next year our fourth line should be as good as our 3rd this year and our 3rd line as good as our second this year. The question is at D. I have no idea what to expect. Could be some high scoring games.

I'm also looking forward to seeing Deluca play with Markinson and Reynolds in 13/14 and 14/15.

THIS WEATHER SUCKS. WE NEED SOME SNOW
          What are your thoughts on Vazzano? Has even played enough to form an opinion? One of the early televised games he did not look too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by snwbrdr View Post
            Oh, but remember, according to Thomas, it wasn't about politics.

Comment

I completely agree, but Kevin keeps focusing on how extra experience for the young kids can only be beneficial for next season.
              Everyone I guess except Alex. Maybe I just sense there is something more to it, and next year's goalie situation might be completely different than I predict. My thoughts are that Alex would at least start the season giving the freshmen a chance to
              adjust to HE.

Charter Member of the Catamount Hockey Bandwagon! GO CATS GO!

Comment

• Originally posted by Martin St. Louis Fan View Post
                I completely agree, but Kevin keeps focusing on how extra experience for the young kids can only be beneficial for next season.
                Everyone I guess except Alex. Maybe I just sense there is something more to it, and next year's goalie situation might be completely different than I predict. My thoughts are that Alex would at least start the season giving the freshmen a chance to
                adjust to HE.
                Alex is playing tomorrow. Madore was given every chance and he is just awful this year. Don't like banging on a kid, but something is going on because he has been really struggling. You can't compete as a team when your save percentage tonight was 73.3%, that's just brutal. Hopefully Alex takes it and starts to show he is capable of being a HE starting goalie.

Comment

Originally posted by HOCKEYGUY23 View Post
                  Alex is playing tomorrow. Madore was given every chance and he is just awful this year. Don't like banging on a kid, but something is going on because he has been really struggling. You can't compete as a team when your save percentage tonight was 73.3%, that's just brutal. Hopefully Alex takes it and starts to show he is capable of being a HE starting goalie.
                  Yeah, like you say, "hopefully" that'll happen. He certainly didn't show last night that he's got that capability.

Comment

John Vazzano relieved Rob last night, not Alex.

Comment

I can only hope it is because he is starting tonight. What happened last night. Based on the box it looks like it was a penalty ridden game??

Comment

adjust to HE.

Ask and you shall receive! Ted always provides us with the very latest news........The Alex Vazzano question seems to be answered at the bottom of this game recap! Lets hope he makes the most of this start! Thanks Ted!

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/a...ts-hockey-Cats

Comment

I disagree with Sneddon because I thought the 18 forwards and Defensemen played hard all night and
                          never gave up no matter how many bad goals the goalies let in. I thought they played good enough to
                          win but unfortunatly Rob let it 2 bad goals (the second on the PP I will give him a pass) and then Vaz came
                          in and gave up 5 goals on only 17 shots including 2 VERY weak goals that I still cant figure how they got in.

The goals were not off rebounds or breakaways, the goalie need to stop the first shot once in a while.

Tonight Vaz JR gets his second chance.....lets hope he runs with it because he might never get a 3rd

Comment

Not that it factored in the end results but the Refs last night were terrible and I dont just mean the dudes with the orange stripes.

There were so many missed offsides and icings for both teams, I see a lineman call offsides and he is about half way from the blueline
                            to the goalline. Must have some great vision to see from there. I watched the first goal on the UVM video recap and frooze it to prove
                            the first goal was offsides.

And half of the penalties called(again for both teams) were very weak.

Sad to say we get the same crew tonight.

Comment

Oops, sorry. I just saw "Vazzano" and assumed it was Alex. Glad to see he's getting the start tonight. Man, Madore seems to be a mere shadow of the player he was as a freshman.

Comment

A large part of being a goalie is mental. This years problems have to into your head.

Comment

Working...
                                X