Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2013 Regional sites announced

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
    UNH is 3-0 in first-round games over the past three seasons. Each of their opponents captured either the regular season or tournament championship for their conference (NoDak 08-09, Cornell 09-10, Miami 10-11).
    I'll give them their North Dakota due but let's be honest, UNH (Umile), Miami (Blasi) and any ECAC team are some of the weakest NCAA performers over the last 2 decades. When you throw them into the mix vs. each other... well, someone's gotta win!
    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Dude Love View Post
      Everything in the eastern time zone. Figures.
      I know... we're not even AWAKE when the early Eastern Time Zone games start.

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
      I'll give them their North Dakota due but let's be honest, UNH (Umile), Miami (Blasi) and any ECAC team are some of the weakest NCAA performers over the last 2 decades. When you throw them into the mix vs. each other... well, someone's gotta win!
      AHEM! I BELIEVE you're forgetting somebody...
      tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

As a Brown fan, I'm absolutely THRILLED about the regionals coming to Providence, and it seems like most of the posters here are in favor as well. Providence is a great little city, and if you absolutely need to be in a big city, you can get to Boston for $15.50 round trip on the commuter rail. The Dunk is a terrific facility now that it's been refurbished (I haven't actually been to a hockey game there since they redid it, but I attended Providence-Syracuse basketball a couple seasons ago, before it was complete, and I was very impressed).

In all seriousness, why in the WORLD has it taken so long for the NCAA to get out of Bridgeport and Worcester, two hell-holes, in favor of a really nice city with plenty to do and that is just as accessible as the other two? It defies logic, though money probably came into play in the past.

Hopefully this can generate some interest in the local community. When the NCAA basketball tournament comes here, the city is buzzing and vibrant for the whole week. Personally, I can't WAIT for this weekend! If only Brown could somehow be involved...

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
          NCAA is implementing a "neutral site preferred" policy moving forward.
          Do you have a link for that? The only reason I ask is because the Tsongas Center at UMass-Lowell would be a great venue to host regional games. Excellent arena and close to Boston.
          Let's go Lowell.

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
            Interesting. Michigan "wised up" on knowing that they weren't getting Yost bids anymore and can probably turn Van Andel into home ice against anyone else not in the state of Michigan, where it'd be neutralish and avoid having to play BC in Providence, NH in Manchester etc.
            What about playing BC in...St. Louis?

Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
            Awesome about having the regional in Providence.

This will help avoid the ugly matchup that would force HE to play UNH in virtual home games up in Manchester.
            Honest question, is this because Brown is the host and almost certain not to make it?

Comment

Originally posted by Gainzo View Post
              Do you have a link for that? The only reason I ask is because the Tsongas Center at UMass-Lowell would be a great venue to host regional games. Excellent arena and close to Boston.
              While it technically meets for the standards for capacity, in practice Tsongas would be too small.
              "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
              Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
              NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
              EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
              AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
              1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by ClOuD 9 View Post
                While it technically meets for the standards for capacity, in practice Tsongas would be too small.
                Tsongas has a capacity of 6,500 for hockey. Is that not enough?
                Let's go Lowell.

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                  Interesting. Michigan "wised up" on knowing that they weren't getting Yost bids anymore and can probably turn Van Andel into home ice against anyone else not in the state of Michigan, where it'd be neutralish and avoid having to play BC in Providence, NH in Manchester etc.
                  why not the joe? providence holds 14500. van andel only 10500. sure, if um doesn't make it you're screwed.. but i'd go ahead and bet the mortgage now that michigan will make the ncaa's in 2010
                  a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                    why not the joe?
                    Joe Louis Arena has made it clear that they have no interest in hosting an event with neither alcohol sales nor in-arena alcohol advertising. They hosted 2 regionals in the early 1990s and decided that it was more trouble than it was worth to them.

"The game of hockey, though much in vogue on the ice in New England and other parts of the United States, is not much known here."

--The Montreal Gazette, March 4, 1875.

Comment

I believe Providence stopped bidding until the Dunk was finished and the others bid right up to this year.....NCAA not the bad guys here, just timing for Providence.....hope the new leaders in Providence follow the same plans Cianci set up in the past and allow outdoor bars and walking in the area around the Dunk with a drink in hand......worked well in the past

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
                      As a Brown fan, I'm absolutely THRILLED about the regionals coming to Providence, and it seems like most of the posters here are in favor as well. Providence is a great little city, and if you absolutely need to be in a big city, you can get to Boston for $15.50 round trip on the commuter rail. The Dunk is a terrific facility now that it's been refurbished (I haven't actually been to a hockey game there since they redid it, but I attended Providence-Syracuse basketball a couple seasons ago, before it was complete, and I was very impressed).

In all seriousness, why in the WORLD has it taken so long for the NCAA to get out of Bridgeport and Worcester, two hell-holes, in favor of a really nice city with plenty to do and that is just as accessible as the other two? It defies logic, though money probably came into play in the past.

Hopefully this can generate some interest in the local community. When the NCAA basketball tournament comes here, the city is buzzing and vibrant for the whole week. Personally, I can't WAIT for this weekend! If only Brown could somehow be involved...

Comment

Originally posted by Dude Love View Post
                        Everything in the eastern time zone. Figures.
                        Yes, OH & MI are both in the Eastern Time Zone, and are a pretty long drive from the Upper Midwest. But having the two Western sites fairly close together offers a potential advantage: Attending games at both sites would be reasonably doable. One example would be to attend a pair of semis on Friday, and regional finals on both Saturday and Sunday. Pretty nice three day weekend, especially for those travelling from afar.

Obviously one's particular rooting interest(s) could result in a more complicated itinerary. But the point is that these selections create an opportunity to see more of the tournament in person. That luxury is usually available only in the New England/New York area...

Comment

Originally posted by satyking View Post
                          I believe Providence stopped bidding until the Dunk was finished and the others bid right up to this year.....NCAA not the bad guys here, just timing for Providence.
                          Gotcha! Well, hopefully Providence continues to make (and win) future bids! I can pretty much guarantee that most, if not all, fans will have a much more enjoyable experience here than they would in Bridgeport or Worcester.

Comment

Originally posted by Alton View Post
                            http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/m-hock...100511aaa.html

Northeast: Verizon Wireless Arena, Manchester, NH (hosted by New Hampshire)
                            East: Dunkin' Donuts Center, Providence, RI (hosted by Brown)
                            Midwest: Huntington Center, Toledo, OH (hosted by Bowling Green)
                            West: Van Andel Arena, Grand Rapids, MI (hosted by Michigan)
                            That sucks for us out in Minnesota.
                            AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                              That sucks for us out in Minnesota.
                              Not for those of us in Minnesota that are originally from the Ann Arbor area .

Comment

Originally posted by Gainzo View Post
                                Tsongas has a capacity of 6,500 for hockey. Is that not enough?
                                They generally go for 8k-12k seat facilities. Also, they have been trying to prioritize neutral venues, which the Tsongas is not. With so many bigger, neutral facilities bidding in the East I don't think it is likely they would pick a small, non-neutral venue. Truth be told, Portland would probably get picked before Tsongas even though it is a pigsty.
                                "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
                                Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
                                NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
                                EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
                                AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
                                1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Working...
                                X