Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kendall Classic UAA, Clarkson, St.Cloud & UAF

Game Day Lets go Seawolves
    Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
      Headed down for the games in the morning. Without any freezing rain or snow should only take 7 hours or so. Hope the boys are ready. Good luck to SCSU and Clarkson, should be a great weekend of hockey. I'll try to post a few pics of Friday night's action sometime Saturday. But of course...

*****http://i130.***********.com/albums/p248/mmffbks/UAFPuckwithAurora.gif******

...GO NOOKS!
      7 hrs......... what Grandma's driving again or you taking the bus?
      Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
      UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
        And why did the NCHA decide to let SCSU in...... well one of 2 reasons
        1. Didn't want them to dominate the WCHA.
        Did someone say "Dominate"?

I talked to Mike Lee on Saturday. He looked ready and confident.

Huskeys sweep and take home the Seal Blubber trophy.

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
          7 hrs......... what Grandma's driving again or you taking the bus?
          Yeah, really. When I drive up to Bearflanks, it usually takes about 5.5 hours or less. You must be taking the scenic route or something?

Drive safe & watch out for moose!

Comment

Originally posted by husckey domi nation View Post
            huskeys sweep and take home the seal clubber trophy.
            fyp
            tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Just back in from the coaches luncheon (peppercorn steak and salmon ... delish btw ...) and tonight for UAA the following players are out injured; Scott Allen, Eric Scheid, Kory Roy, Andrew Pickering and Chris Crowell. All were originally pegged for tonight's Clarkson game but came up hurt during yesterday's practice.

The UAA/Clarkson stream will be available at this link. As will the UAA/SCSU game tomorrow. Don't ask me about links for the UAF games cos I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                Just back in from the coaches luncheon (peppercorn steak and salmon ... delish btw ...) and tonight for UAA the following players are out injured; Scott Allen, Eric Scheid, Kory Roy, Andrew Pickering and Chris Crowell. All were originally pegged for tonight's Clarkson game but came up hurt during yesterday's practice.

The UAA/Clarkson stream will be available at this link. As will the UAA/SCSU game tomorrow. Don't ask me about links for the UAF games cos I don't know.

Thanks for the link, game airs at 12:07 AM here in NY....LET'S GO TECH!
                Cheers!
                Drew

Comment

First game, not pretty but goals from some usual suspects and sounds like solid play from the D and Lee.
                  I'll take that win.
                  "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                  -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                  Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                  Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                  Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                  Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Better team won game 1. Other than some penalty killing brilliance, the Nooks looked about like a team that has nine freshmen, except the vets were the ones filling up the penalty box. Lee was great for SCSU.

Sullivan was so dead you could hear St. Cloud's coach yelling at Eddy to "sit down in the box" after taking a penalty.
                    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                      Better team won game 1. Other than some penalty killing brilliance, the Nooks looked about like a team that has nine freshmen, except the vets were the ones filling up the penalty box. Lee was great for SCSU.

Sullivan was so dead you could hear St. Cloud's coach yelling at Eddy to "sit down in the box" after taking a penalty.
                      The Sully was dead because people were still at work when the game started. Folks in Anchorage want to watch UAA, not UA_. The same thing happened last year at UA_'s tourney, the Carlson was empty for the first game.

For the record, I thought the Nanooks out played the Huskies tonight, despite their inability to stay out of the penalty box. They outshot them 2-1 and Lee stole the game for SCSU, who otherwise did not look very sharp at all.
                      Originally Posted by aparch
                      I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                        Boy you like beating dead horses don't you?
                        I don't think he has any horses, certainly not any dead ones. Remember "a stitch in time is worth 2 in the bush".
                        Bob is making me concerned
                        I am the voice of reason

Comment

SCSU fans, is #28 Andrew Prochno a freshman? Because the name doesn't sound familiar, and he played really, really bad last night.
                          Originally Posted by aparch
                          I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                            SCSU fans, is #28 Andrew Prochno a freshman? Because the name doesn't sound familiar, and he played really, really bad last night.
                            Yes, he's a freshman. Any other observations? I am very interested to hear from someone who saw the game in person.

Comment

Originally posted by Pump It Up View Post
                              Yes, he's a freshman. Any other observations? I am very interested to hear from someone who saw the game in person.
                              I just finished the post for my blog this morning. You can check it out here.

For once, I think I'd actually have to agree with Suze. Towards the end of that game, the Nanooks were skating circles around St. Cloud, but couldn't buy a goal off of Mike Lee. With another night like that, he'll be the tourney MVP, that's an easy vote to make. The Nanooks held St. Cloud to just two shots on goal through 7 power play chances, but two key turnovers to skilled forwards were the nails in the coffin. But those turnovers were caused by an aggressive forecheck that our freshmen defensemen weren't ready for. I won't call them out, and yes its unfortunate, but you can't make those kind of mistakes at this level without paying for it. Hopefully its lesson learned early, and stuff like that can be avoided.

As far as SCSU goes, I don't think I need to say it, but Drew LeBlanc is a beast. He was 13-7 in faceoffs, and his backchecking set up the outlet feed to Nic Dowd for the first goal of the game. Jared Festler will easily be a strong playmaker this year, and had two key feeds for two SCSU goals (the first and last). I was not impressed by either Prochno, or Milan. I would be pleasantly surprised if Prochno makes the lineup tonight, it was that bad. As for Milan, he got turned inside out, and passed it to our team one too many times that if my last name was Motzko, I would think long and hard about which shifts he plays tonight.

Just my 2 cents
                              Visit the Alaska Nanooks Hockey Blog at http://nanookhockey.blogspot.com

Comment

Congratulations SCSU. For the Nooks that was a disappointing loss. Strange game and some uncharacteristic play by the Nooks. The only thing that stayed true to form was that we couldn’t find the back of the net even though we controlled play for exteneded periods. Deja vu all over again.

I thought we were a bit faster, a little more physical, and generally outworked them in the corners. I thought their skill players took it to the net better than ours, that the Nook turnovers were total breakdowns and too frequent, and that Greenham didn’t make the stops he needs to make. I hope we continue to stay aggressive, but cut back on the unnecessary stuff. A tough balancing act I know. I like the aggressive PK that we have shown the last couple of games.

All-in-all it was a case of the good, the bad, and the ugly. We will be fine. Lots of things to be pleased about among the crap. A few pics from last night from a biased Nook fan…

Overall I thought we were a little quicker to puck…
                                *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2011-12-Season/SCSU-vs-UAF-Oct-7-2011/i-NLH3Tj9/0/L/20111007-123-L.jpg******

And generally with stronger play in the corners…
                                *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2011-12-Season/SCSU-vs-UAF-Oct-7-2011/i-LP8KWnn/0/L/20111007-40-L.jpg******

We were able to control play for extended periods…
                                *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2011-12-Season/SCSU-vs-UAF-Oct-7-2011/i-54crf2S/0/L/20111007-76-L.jpg******

But to no avail, because Lee played a very good game for SCSU…
                                *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2011-12-Season/SCSU-vs-UAF-Oct-7-2011/i-5CqgNZR/0/L/20111007-167-L.jpg******

He was there when they needed them…
                                *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2011-12-Season/SCSU-vs-UAF-Oct-7-2011/i-cLZ39Vw/0/L/20111007-70-L.jpg******

Especially when traffic got heavy…
                                *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2011-12-Season/SCSU-vs-UAF-Oct-7-2011/i-fPLgTQX/0/L/20111007-194-L.jpg******

73-This pp goal by Kunyk was the only blemish against Lee.
                                *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2011-12-Season/SCSU-vs-UAF-Oct-7-2011/i-3kVdhfd/0/L/20111007-73-L.jpg******

The pressure is on the Nooks tonight.

Go Nooks!

Comment

Working...
                                X