• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bomberhockey
    replied
    Re: 2011-2012 UNH Wildcats

Originally posted by fanboy View Post
    Rumors has it that the starting players and senior leadership would like Tyler Scott to start in net. Unfortunately Scott is a walk on recruit and Umile doesn't play
    walk ons.
    Scott should 'have realized that after his freshman year after Digi ( 2008-09 freshman year) let in 16 goals in two games and Umile didn't pull Digi and putScott in. Umile has invested money into Digi, Wyer and DeSmith and not Scott. As a UNH fan I would rather see a goalie in net who could get it done whether he was on scholarship or not. The team knows who should be in net and its not Digi or DeSmith. Here's an article from 2008 putting Scott in the same paragraph as James van Riemsdyk http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3...-of-usa-hockey. Maybe Umile should have read the article to see what kind of goalie he really got. The author of on the article thought Scott was headed for stardom.
    They play a lot of recruited walk ons. Very very few are full boats, and you'd be shocked at the number and who have been recruited walk ons.

Leave a comment:

• fanboy
    replied

Originally posted by Maine Event View Post
    I guess this old article was written in error?

http://howardhuskies.org/news2.php?news_id=87273

Scott committed to UNH in March of 2008 as a recruited walk-on. No NCAA National Letter of Intent ever signed. NO scholarship ever given. Probably the biggest mistake in his life to believe Umile would ever give him a chance.

Leave a comment:

• Maine Event
    replied

Rumors has it that the starting players and senior leadership would like Tyler Scott to start in net. Unfortunately Scott is a walk on recruit and Umile doesn't play walk ons. .
    I guess this old article was written in error?

http://howardhuskies.org/news2.php?news_id=87273

Leave a comment:

• UNHhockey29
    replied

Originally posted by Saetia22 View Post
    As for jersey's - I heard that UNH was not wearing special jersey's (elsewhere outside of this thread). Kind of a bummer - probably not in the "budget"?
    Probably not as the program took a hit with the cutbacks going around the university. I was also told that they would have to have the jersey design in pretty early to get it done.

Leave a comment:

• Saetia22
    replied

Rumors has it that the starting players and senior leadership would like Tyler Scott to start in net. Unfortunately Scott is a walk on recruit and Umile doesn't play
    walk ons. Scott should 'have realized that after his freshman year after Digi ( 2008-09 freshman year) let in 16 goals in two games and Umile didn't pull Digi and putScott in. Umile has invested money into Digi, Wyer and DeSmith and not Scott. As a UNH fan I would rather see a goalie in net who could get it done whether he was on scholarship or not. The team knows who should be in net and its not Digi or DeSmith. Here's an article from 2008 putting Scott in the same paragraph as James van Riemsdyk http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3...-of-usa-hockey. Maybe Umile should have read the article to see what kind of goalie he really got. The author of on the article thought Scott was headed for stardom.
    Well, I'd like to see Scott too.. hopefully UNH can get up by 4 or so goals so Umile will play him.

As for jerseys - I heard that UNH was not wearing special jersey's (elsewhere outside of this thread). Kind of a bummer - probably not in the "budget"?
    Last edited by Saetia22; 01-03-2012, 07:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• fanboy
    replied

walk ons. Scott should 'have realized that after his freshman year after Digi ( 2008-09 freshman year) let in 16 goals in two games and Umile didn't pull Digi and putScott in. Umile has invested money into Digi, Wyer and DeSmith and not Scott. As a UNH fan I would rather see a goalie in net who could get it done whether he was on scholarship or not. The team knows who should be in net and its not Digi or DeSmith. Here's an article from 2008 putting Scott in the same paragraph as James van Riemsdyk http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3...-of-usa-hockey. Maybe Umile should have read the article to see what kind of goalie he really got. The author of on the article thought Scott was headed for stardom.

Leave a comment:

• C-H-C
    replied

RePost of "UNH to Play in Frozen Fenway 2012"

Leave a comment:

• WildShawn
    replied

Originally posted by unhpuckfan2001 View Post
    Throughout the first period, when I have a front row view of Digi, he looked off. The thing I noticed most about him last year was that his rebound control was always sharp, always directing the puck to a clear area away from an attacker. Friday, not the case.

The 3rd goal, in the second, period, was at the other end of the ice. But I saw a sequence that was the exact opposite of DiGi from last year. As the Brown skater came down the ice (and they've got some decently quick forwards there) with the puck, the UNH defender (can't remember who) couldn't keep up with him. It looked to me that DiGiralamo was expecting the defense to push the puck carrier towards the boards, as I saw him keep checking who else was coming through center ice, watching for a pass. The defender couldn't keep pace, the Brown attacker got around him, and DiGiralamo was so far back in his net, he had absolutely no angle, and the attacker had an easy shot over Matt's shoulder. I'm not an NCAA goalie, but I've played a little pickup here and there, and not taking that angle away, but at least coming out to the top of his crease, was a failure to execute fundamentals. Last year, DiGi was as fundamentally sound as any goalie in the country. Perhaps this example speaks to the breakdown in his game this year? I don't know, just my two cents.

I've liked everything I've seen from DeSmith this year. My gut tells me Coach U will start DiGiralamo at Fenway, because he's a senior and it's special . . . but at the moment, both from the play of the netminder and the play of the team in front of him, I think DeSmith is the best option. Perhaps an extended stay on the bench will allow Digiralamo to get his head straight.

Fenway will be well attended; temps slated to be above average.

Patriots game, 8pm, Saturday the 14th; Verizon Attendance lower and lower each year . . .
    I remember the last time the Patriots playoffs were the same night as the Verizon game, I think 2005, when the Pats lost at Denver. Only missed the first quarter and a half of that one and was home in time to see the ref's brutally screw the Patriots in that one...

Leave a comment:

• unhpuckfan2001
    replied

Originally posted by WildShawn View Post
    The team in front of him is weaker/more inexperienced, so it's not ALL his fault, or maybe the stronger team last year masked something but there were times he looked spectacular last year, and it's simply not there this year.
    Throughout the first period, when I have a front row view of Digi, he looked off. The thing I noticed most about him last year was that his rebound control was always sharp, always directing the puck to a clear area away from an attacker. Friday, not the case.

The 3rd goal, in the second, period, was at the other end of the ice. But I saw a sequence that was the exact opposite of DiGi from last year. As the Brown skater came down the ice (and they've got some decently quick forwards there) with the puck, the UNH defender (can't remember who) couldn't keep up with him. It looked to me that DiGiralamo was expecting the defense to push the puck carrier towards the boards, as I saw him keep checking who else was coming through center ice, watching for a pass. The defender couldn't keep pace, the Brown attacker got around him, and DiGiralamo was so far back in his net, he had absolutely no angle, and the attacker had an easy shot over Matt's shoulder. I'm not an NCAA goalie, but I've played a little pickup here and there, and not taking that angle away, but at least coming out to the top of his crease, was a failure to execute fundamentals. Last year, DiGi was as fundamentally sound as any goalie in the country. Perhaps this example speaks to the breakdown in his game this year? I don't know, just my two cents.

I've liked everything I've seen from DeSmith this year. My gut tells me Coach U will start DiGiralamo at Fenway, because he's a senior and it's special . . . but at the moment, both from the play of the netminder and the play of the team in front of him, I think DeSmith is the best option. Perhaps an extended stay on the bench will allow Digiralamo to get his head straight.

Fenway will be well attended; temps slated to be above average.

Patriots game, 8pm, Saturday the 14th; Verizon Attendance lower and lower each year . . .

Leave a comment:

• WildShawn
    replied

Originally posted by goblue View Post
    Well, Wyer just had knee surgery, Scott is a senior and has played 2 mins. 16 secs. in his entire UNH career and DeSmith, although he's looked pretty good so far, is a freshman, and he could stumble or get hurt. If so, then who? Are you still sure we don't need Digi? As I've said, we need him, but we need the '10/'11 version, when he made up for the team's ineptitude/lackadaisical play on so many occasions. For someone (granted, not you) to say he should sit until Senior Night is a bit hasty, with, what, 15 regular season games to play before then. I, for one, hope that he works himself (in practice) out of this funk he's been in all season, and finds his game. If you disagree, then so be it.
    I get what you're saying in an ideal world, it would be nice to have the '10-'11 version of Digi, but he's had more than half of the season to prove it, and he simply hasn't gotten it done. The team in front of him is weaker/more inexperienced, so it's not ALL his fault, or maybe the stronger team last year masked something but there were times he looked spectacular last year, and it's simply not there this year. I feel bad for the kid, by all accounts a good kid, but it's time to move on. DeSmith may not be the answer, but there's no reason not to give him a few games in a row to see what we have. He looked really good in the BU game and if not for an all of a sudden inept offense (due to injuries I imagine), they could have won that game. I also think it would have been cruel if UNH scored a late goal and made it 5-3, DeSmith would have gotten the loss (much like Wyer did in the first SCSU game), but anyway....

Leave a comment:

• New Hampshire 'Cats Fan
    replied

Originally posted by Mosrite View Post
    DeSmith looked great tonight, especially on the Brown penalty shot.
    I was bummed that I didn't get to see the penalty shot. I was watching the game online and the camera guy just had the camera pointed at center ice (asleep on the job, perhaps?). I had no idea what happened until I heard the cheer from the UNH fans. Anyway, glad to see DeSmith playing well in the net.

Leave a comment:

• GoUNH
    replied
    Originally posted by Felger View Post
    You claim to have been at the Whitt last night so I'll cut you some slack, but I really wonder what game you were watching. There was ZERO passion, ZERO intensity, in the whole building during the first two periods. Part of the reason that the 'Cats didn't get called for a penalty during the first 50 minutes was that they couldn't be bothered to commit one. It would have taken http://www.attaccarealty.com/realestate/detailview/80//4029107 much effort. You rarely get a second chance to make a first impression, but they had a chance to jump start a thus far disappointing season last night and failed to show up. It wasn't until the third period, following the goalie change, that there was any sense of life either on the ice or in the stands. When DeSmith stopped the penalty shot I thought for sure UNH would rally for the win and, perhaps foolishly, thought it might be a defining moment in an otherwise forgettable season. Unfortunately Digorlamo has become UNH's version of John Lackey, putting the Cats in situations that demoralize the entire team and fanbase. (Note the body language both on the ice and in the stands.) I think the fan reaction would have been interesting last night if Francona, I mean Umile, had pulled Digorlamo immediately after the third goal rather than doing it quietly between periods. Probably did the kid another favor.
    I was screaming for the change after the 2nd goal.

Leave a comment:

• goblue
    replied

My apologies for not being clearer, I was disagreeing with your continued assertions that UNH "needs" Digorlamo. At this point, fair or otherwise, I contend that he is doing a disservice to his team. He dug another hole last night.

That said, reasonable minds can differ.
    Well, Wyer just had knee surgery, Scott is a senior and has played 2 mins. 16 secs. in his entire UNH career and DeSmith, although he's looked pretty good so far, is a freshman, and he could stumble or get hurt. If so, then who? Are you still sure we don't need Digi? As I've said, we need him, but we need the '10/'11 version, when he made up for the team's ineptitude/lackadaisical play on so many occasions. For someone (granted, not you) to say he should sit until Senior Night is a bit hasty, with, what, 15 regular season games to play before then. I, for one, hope that he works himself (in practice) out of this funk he's been in all season, and finds his game. If you disagree, then so be it.

Leave a comment:

• Felger
    replied

Originally posted by goblue View Post
    ??? Your post is a complete non sequitor to what I wrote in either of my last 2 posts. If you disagree, please provide proof. If you can't, and I'm really not trying to be snarky here, please try to comprehend what you are reading before posting.

That said, apart from your first sentence, I basically agree with you.
    My apologies for not being clearer, I was disagreeing with your continued assertions that UNH "needs" Digorlamo. At this point, fair or otherwise, I contend that he is doing a disservice to his team. He dug another hole last night.

That said, reasonable minds can differ.

Leave a comment:

• goblue
    replied

You claim to have been at the Whitt last night so I'll cut you some slack, but I really wonder what game you were watching. There was ZERO passion, ZERO intensity, in the whole building during the first two periods. Part of the reason that the 'Cats didn't get called for a penalty during the first 50 minutes was that they couldn't be bothered to commit one. It would have taken too much effort. You rarely get a second chance to make a first impression, but they had a chance to jump start a thus far disappointing season last night and failed to show up. It wasn't until the third period, following the goalie change, that there was any sense of life either on the ice or in the stands. When DeSmith stopped the penalty shot I thought for sure UNH would rally for the win and, perhaps foolishly, thought it might be a defining moment in an otherwise forgettable season. Unfortunately Digorlamo has become UNH's version of John Lackey, putting the Cats in situations that demoralize the entire team and fanbase. (Note the body language both on the ice and in the stands.) I think the fan reaction would have been interesting last night if Francona, I mean Umile, had pulled Digorlamo immediately after the third goal rather than doing it quietly between periods. Probably did the kid another favor.
    ??? Your post is a complete non sequitor to what I wrote in either of my last 2 posts. If you disagree, please provide proof. If you can't, and I'm really not trying to be snarky here, please try to comprehend what you are reading before posting.

That said, apart from your first sentence, I basically agree with you.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X