Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2011-2012 UNH Wildcats

Originally posted by Rover View Post
    While this is none of my business, I'm curious about something. IMO, you UNH fans have to want to see Umile fired at this point, right? I mean the team hasn't gotten any better over the last decade. If anything they've gotten worse, and now despite a nice effort its still a first round HE playoff loss. Believe it or not, I happen to like the UNH fans that I've met despite my well documented antipathy for the state itself. Do any of you see things getting better with him still at the helm? If so, why?
    I'm a BU fan, as you know, Rover, but that has never stopped me from chiming in. The thing is, and I think the UNH fans will tell you this; it's not a fair assessment. (and I know where you're going with this) It's not like the situation at BU. We get top talent. UNH doesn't get quite as much, so you can't necessarily blame the coach. You can only "coach up" people so far (just ask Bill Belichick - it's not easy, is it?) At some point you just have to have the talent. The true test would be to give Umile BU's team and see what he does with this. Of course, you could say, "well then he gets off the hook because we will never be able to find out." Or, you could say, "But recruiting is part of the job too."

Personally, I've always used the Fenway Park analogy. Why would you build an Olympic size rink when no other schools in the country have one? It puts you at a severe disadvantage away from home. And don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that's the reason. The Red Sox hit like crazy at Fenway but it's a false indication of how good they are because of the dimensions of the park. So UNH is more free-wheeling and offensive-minded. But on the "regulation" size rink, they can't play that game.

UNH has also never gotten any post-season breaks. I can go all the way back to 1977 when they lost in the (then called) Final Four to Wisconsin on a shot that beat Cap Raeder off the faceoff (of course, that was Charlie Holt, but you get the point).And let's be honest, they should have beaten us in 2009 in Manchester. When you get that far, it's hard to "blame" anybody. What it SHOULD do is make us all understand how fortunate you have to be (as well as good) to go all the way. It's not easy, especially in hockey where every score is magnified (it's not like basketball where you get 100 shots a game).

And I haven't seen that level of animosity on this thread (unlike the Maine thread, where they've been saying "Fire Timmay" for years...)
    Last edited by chickod; 03-12-2012, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Sat behind Mr. Agosta (and next to two other UNH guys). It was clear that Mr. Agosta doesn't like the coach (probably because his son didn't play at all last year).

Comment

UNH Hockey = Red Sox (pre 2004), they rip the heart right out of your chest.........'Cats played great, what can you say? Millan was just incredible. Looks like there are some good pieces there and with DeSmith you should be right back next year...........

Comment

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
          UNH Hockey = Red Sox (pre 2004), they rip the heart right out of your chest.........'Cats played great, what can you say? Millan was just incredible. Looks like there are some good pieces there and with DeSmith you should be right back next year...........
          I know this is probably controversial (not that I seek out controversy or anything ), but I didn't see that game as UNH "blowing" it. What I saw was a BU team that looked like they were on Pluto for the first 30 minutes and then cranked up the intensity after Parker lit into them. There is as much "parity" in the league as ever, so effort makes a huge difference in all of these games. If you look at the scores of all of these quarterfinal games, there were a ridiculous amount of one goal games (even BC had TWO one-goal games with UMass). BU has a lot of talent, and when they come to play they are tough to beat. Problem is, they don't always come to play. This is taking NOTHING away from UNH. But BU DID win four out of five against them this year. And I'm not saying that it was "inevitable," but BU does have a little more talent this year. They have always played in "spurts," and this game was no different. I'm not sure why it is, except that it's difficult to maintain 100% intensity the entire game.

There are some things you just have to attribute to fate. Look at your own example. The 2003 Red Sox were probably a BETTER team than either of the teams that won. The 1978 Red Sox were better than the Yankees but couldn't win the one game that counted. The 2006 (or whenever it was) Maine team got screwed against Denver and never recovered. Even the UNH team that lost to Michigan in '98 (when Marty Turco - funny to see him on the Bruins yesterday - just absolutely stoned them) probably could have won that game. It's hockey - probably the sport where the "better" team wins less often than in other sports because there is so little scoring and every play is so magnified. When you DO finally break through, all I can say is it's a good thing the Old Man in the Mountain is already down...because it would have come down anyway after the ensuing celebration!

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie
            J.D.ope Did Mr. Agosta ask you to speak for him??? Didn't think so. Keep your opinions to your self. None of your business.
            So JD should keep his opinions to himself (though they weren't really his opinions, aside from possibly why the parent was unhappy) because it's none of his business...even though we are on a message board where we debate pretty much nothing but opinion all day long...but it's cool for a parent to voice his opinions about the coaching staff to anyone within earshot at a hockey game with thousands of fans.

Or, perhaps a better lesson is that if you don't want your opinions getting brought out on the internet, keep them to yourself rather than spouting off in a public venue.

Comment

what happens in the locker room should stay in the locker room and what's said in the stands should stay in the stands. Don't be an a## and report every little conversation you eavesdrop on. Be an adult.
              In a locker room amongst your team members? Sure. At home amongst your family? Absolutely.

In the stands of a sporting event amongst thousands of strangers? Watch what you say unless you want it to possibly get put out there for people to see. You don't have to agree with it, and that's fine..it's probably not something I'd have put out there either, but at the same time there is absolutely no expectation of privacy in that kind of a situation and if you're "being an adult" you should understand that you need to be careful in those situations.

Comment

Originally posted by WIrinkrat View Post
                In a locker room amongst your team members? Sure. At home amongst your family? Absolutely.

In the stands of a sporting event amongst thousands of strangers? Watch what you say unless you want it to possibly get put out there for people to see. You don't have to agree with it, and that's fine..it's probably not something I'd have put out there either, but at the same time there is absolutely no expectation of privacy in that kind of a situation and if you're "being an adult" you should understand that you need to be careful in those situations.
                I'm with Goldie on this one. Its pretty sleazy to post the guy's name. A simple "I was sitting next to a parent who wasn't happy with Umile" gets the point across.
                Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

• Re: 2011-2012 UNH Wildcatsg

I am a UNH fan and with Umile when he has talent they don't have enough grit which is what has pained this team since 1999. Several times in the early 2000 UNH had the better team but came out flat, tight, no grit (fill in the blank). This year tons of grit, I am proud this team didn't quit and it certainly could have, but no talent to put the puck in the net. Even Moses wasn't really a “goal scorer”, he scored goals because he could generate a ton of opportunities not because he is a natural scorer (in other words his conversion rate is way below say Bulter or Thompson).

Umile however is in charge of getting the groceries and UNH had better quality ingredients when he had McCloskey looking at the produce. I have heard that Borek is in charge of managing the 18 scholarships. I have also heard that in general the talent out a Canada needs money (full for 4) to afford school. UNH is way down on Canadian talent; McCloskey had a pipeline of talented forwards that put the puck in the net. I have also been told that in recent year UNH is not high on giving full 4’s to anyone. This looks to be a practice that needs to change.

At the end of the day for me with Umile it is, be careful what you wish for. When was the last 1st time champ? I think Maine 92-93. There is a clear organizational stress to getting to the top, regardless of the team. Miami couldn't hold off BU in 2009. So to measure it all in National Titles is tough, not getting to the top sucks but there are worse places you could be, I remember the mid 80's between Holt and Umile. Ask Michigan Tech how the last 30 years have been. Etc.

As much as everybody want to win it all with every fiber of their being (players, coaches, fans) there is more to college athletics then National Titles. Umile's players all seem to love him, they stay in touch post UNH and there is something to growing good people too.

Just me...
                  "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

I'm with Goldie on this one. Its pretty sleazy to post the guy's name. A simple "I was sitting next to a parent who wasn't happy with Umile" gets the point across.
                    I would agree with that too, if that was the point that was being made.

Regardless of whether or not the name should have been attached, you have to expect that when you put your grievances out in a public venue in earshot of potentially thousands of people that there is a great opportunity that they could become public and be attributed to you.

Comment

what happens in the locker room should stay in the locker room and what's said in the stands should stay in the stands. Don't be an a## and report every little conversation you eavesdrop on. Be an adult.
                      Wow, who brought the cool kid...
                      Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Almost as bad as a college hockey coach who tells the media that his 21 year old player who got arrested was an alcoholic.
                        Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

J.D.ope Did Mr. Agosta ask you to speak for him??? Didn't think so. Keep your opinions to your self. None of your business.
                          So JD should keep his opinions to himself (though they weren't really his opinions, aside from possibly why the parent was unhappy) because it's none of his business...even though we are on a message board where we debate pretty much nothing but opinion all day long...but it's cool for a parent to voice his opinions about the coaching staff to anyone within earshot at a hockey game with thousands of fans.

Or, perhaps a better lesson is that if you don't want your opinions getting brought out on the internet, keep them to yourself rather than spouting off in a public venue.

****, couldn't have said any of this better myself. You can probably leave poor Goldie alone now though. It might even be Mr. Agosta himself.

Sleazy? LOL. Mr. Agosta introduced it to everyone around him and clearly wanted people to know. That ain't my problem. He is biased against Umile because his son didn't get any PT last year. He made it perfectly clear.

Comment

• Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
                            Almost as bad as a college hockey coach who tells the media that his 21 year old player who got arrested was an alcoholic.
                            It was public knowledge that Trivino had been in trouble for boozing multiple times before and he was in the news. This guys father is not so only an idiot would see a connection. Are you and JD dating?
                            Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Few points. First on a parent complaining about the coach. Geez, I've never heard that one before. It happens from Little League on up. I can guarantee you that as long as Umile has been coach, going back to when he was at Watertown HS, there have been parents who thought their kid deserved more playing time, or that he was too tough on him, or he was unfair. The farther up the food chain you go in organized sports, the less the coach is going to listen to that stuff. Any UNH parent is entitled to his or her opinion, and I can remember a dustup that was featured prominently in this forum several years ago where a parent came on, used his name and basically embarrassed his son. Bottom line, parents can complain all they want but Umile (and any other coach for that matter) has a job to do. He is going to put out a squad that he feels gives him the best chance to win.

Second, it's a canard that UNH fails because they play on the big sheet. First, less than half their games are played on the Olympic sheet. Their style of play is predicated on transition and speed, something that had in spades for most of this past weekend on a smaller sheet. I can agree that when they play at Merrimack now, not during their decade long dominance of the Warriors, they have trouble. But that has more to do with the better talent Merrimack has now than the fact that UNH can't skate there. They did win and tie down there this year btw. Bottom line is that UNH's successs since they moved to the Whitt has not been hindered by playing on a big sheet. Failures have had more to do with personnel not playing up to their potential, questionable coaching decisions and, of course, the talent of the teams they are playing against.

As for the games this past weekend, and especially the game last night, I came away with a "will vs. skill" mentality. Just like Friday night, BU played liked dogs for the first half of yesterday's game, mostly because UNH was outskating them and beating them to most of the pucks. After Borisenok's goal, Jack obviously gave them a tongue lashing which the team responded to. Let's face it, even missing three guys, BU's overall personnel is better than UNH's. It's the reason they had beaten UNH by a combined 15-2 or whatever during the season and it was why they're going to the NCAA's and UNH is not. So when they scored two quick ones, then tied it up in the third, it wasn't shocking. I have to give UNH credit for holding on in the third, then having a bunch of chances in the first OT. I just wish the more talented teams of the recent past (think Radja and Fornataro in the '08 playoffs or Sean Collins and Brett Hemingway before then) would have played so hard. I just hope that this grit carries over. Is it really too much to ask?

Finally, JB, how can your forget that the last first time NCAA winner was just this past year, UMD?

Comment

• Re: 2011-2012 UNH Wildcatsg

Originally posted by jb View Post
                                at the end of the day for me with umile it is, be careful what you wish for. When was the last 1st time champ? I think maine 92-93.
                                2011 umd?

edit: oops Greg beat me to it
                                Last edited by Gibber; 03-12-2012, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X