2011-2012 UNH Wildcats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2011-2012 UNH Wildcats

LOL Gaudreau did wind up at the best academic school in Hockey East.

Comment

Maybe they didn't look at his transcript because they saw a pic of him and thought he was a 12 year old

Might be the youngest looking freshman I've ever seen at BC.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
        You mean like the team that made the tournament in each and every one of those years, like the team that defeated Miami in Manchester last year. Not sure how you can take a lot from one game. I vividly recall a game at Agganis last year where we outplayed BU for half the game, then the d went to sleep and BU scored five straight against us. And that team, as noted, defeated Miami. Umile has a track record, it may fall short of your lofty standards, but he has one that indicates that things will get better as the season goes along. Starting three freshmen (basically thats what Agosta and Knodle are) is a recipe for early season troubles. My guess is that they will get better. If I were you, I'd worry about where the offense is going to come from. The first line, as constituted, doesn't exactly send me.

Yes that team. The team that always makes it to the post season on little more than it's winning streaks early in the year (November, December) and then blows the big games due to breakdowns on defense and an obvious lack of discipline. But who knows I may have a more positive outlook in February just in time to have my hopes shattered in March.
        What else is a Canadian farm boy to do?
        Go Big Red!
        Go UNH!

Comment

• initial eligibility

irishefan85 - in "the good old days" (before the NCAA Clearinghouse) several D1 hockey schools had ways of admitting boarderline (or worse) student/athletes. I'm aware of a few schools whose head coach was give one or two admits with less than their minimum admission standards. Many/most/all of these closely monitored
          those student/athletes and reviewed how they did in thier Freshman year. That is why some could gain admission and some couldn't. That was supposed to have changed when the NCAA Clearinghouse started up several years ago. Now, theoretically anyway, a student applies to the NCAA Clearinghouse and his/her initial eligibility is ruled on. Once certified as eligible to play as a Freshman, any D1 school can check to confirm that they have been ruled eligible. That is supposed to take the subjectivity out of the process while taking the burden off of high schoola and prep schools from being bombarded with transcript requests.

If a student/athlete is ruled ineligible, they can seek out a private school who amits a few "post-graduate" or "grade 13" applicants. In many cases, if applying as an undergrad, it may be recommended that they repeat a grade. The transition from public to private school can be a challenge, even for a good student. Learning to live away from home for the first time, learning good study habits, etc. are just a few reasons that justify such a move. Another option is going to a Junior College and playing a season or two with a Tier II Junior A team. Whatever path is chosen, the two pronged approach of bolstering grades to not only increase a low GPA, but also continue to enhance hockey skills and get bigger & stronger can be accomplished. OK? Any questions?

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
            I didn't go to any school in HE. Went to a non-hockey playing school in another part of the country, but have lived in New England my whole life. As much as I am anti-BC, I would have to believe if Gaudrea got into BC, he sure as heck could get into UNH. The one thing that interests me is a few people from my high school went to (I believe) the Thompson school or some other program that was offered for borderline admitted students who had to get their grades up or something to that realm. Is that not available for student-athletes?

When I was at UNH (2000-2004), the Thompson school was a two year program so not offered for student athletes.
            Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by UNH09 View Post
              Shockingly it looks like the same UNH team has shown up for the past 8 seasons has shown up again... Dickie U is at least admitting it in post game pressers now, that our team defense sucks. I know they are starting three kids on defense, but that means the forward have to help to prevent embarrassing games like this one...
              Originally posted by CU@UNH09 View Post
              Yes that team. The team that always makes it to the post season on little more than it's winning streaks early in the year (November, December) and then blows the big games due to breakdowns on defense and an obvious lack of discipline.
              Is it March already? I thought it was October. Isn't the "typical" UNH team "champions of October"? Or, was "same UNH team [as] the past 8 seasons" supposed to refer to the way UNH has had porous defense and no scoring touch? Because that isn't exactly true, either.
              Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
              -Fred Shero

Comment

Originally posted by bomberhockey View Post
                Respectfully but strongly disagree with you, but now we will never know.
                So... You think Gaudreau would have picked UNH over BC if he had the choice?
                Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                  So... You think Gaudreau would have picked UNH over BC if he had the choice?
                  Never know now because admissions never got into the game but YES!

Comment

Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
                    4-1 record. HE title.

0-1 when it mattered. In the end we were disappointed. You guys would have thrown a parade/bonfire for a RS title and a HE title. That's the difference between the two programs. Well that and 4 national titles...

Thanks for playing.

Speaking of the postseason, with York getting closer to the end of his career (and Umile too, especially if he doesn't bring home some RS titles soon!) I'm wondering if Umile will ever beat York again in the postseason. Last time it happened I was a senior in high school I believe. I've been out of college for 10 years. Do the hillbilly math. It's been a while.
                    not to worry. after seeing the game saturday i'm pretty sure bc will do better than one and done in the nc2a's next april. unh on the other hand worries me a bit although it's too early to panic right now. the early season swoon for unh is atypical though.eh? does the equation change so that unh finishes strong? we'll see. but i think this could be a bumpy ride for unh fans. something we are not used to.
                    Last edited by e.cat; 10-17-2011, 09:14 AM.
                    UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                      BTW, better not describe UNH as the best academic school in Hockey East. There are a few others that a pretty darn good as well.
                      I think you misunderstood his point. He wasn't calling UNH the best academic school in HEA. He's saying that if the kid can contribute to some much needed revenue, and is also capable of getting into there best academic school in HEA (ie BC), then Admissions should have given him a look.
                      113-162-27 .419

252-113-40 .672

Comment

Originally posted by bomberhockey View Post
                        Never know now because admissions never got into the game but YES!
                        At least one UNH fan has disputed that, so I guess we'll never know that either.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                          At least one UNH fan has disputed that, so I guess we'll never know that either.
                          Curious where that UNH fan got his/her info. Gaudreau DID choose UNH, but given the lateness of the situation needed a firm commitment back from UNH. Admissions was apparently off sunning somewhere and couldn't be roused to make a quick approval. Gaudreau took the bird in the hand and Umile was bull-bleep.
                          Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Originally posted by WIrinkrat View Post
                            Surprised there hasn't been much talk about this game, even though it's only an exhibition...

Here are my completely irrelevant observations, comments, and player grades (which are more relative to each player and their own abilities/potential rather than comparing them to each other):

2. Hardowa: Typical Hardowa game...not going to notice him much, which is a good thing. Reminds me of Jamie Fritsch. B

3. Block: Was decent on faceoffs...an area UNH needs to be better in this season. Still not convinced he's a top 6 forward offensively. C+

4. Kipp: His penalty 7 seconds into the game (a pretty marginal call I thought) turned out to be a spark. Would like to see his physical presence a little more consistently. Got beat to the front of the net a few times. C+

5. Knodel: Scary, scary first period. Got caught flatfooted in transition a few times and let guys get behind him for quick outlets. Used his reach to make a nice recovery on one and was bailed out by DiGi on the other. Has a pretty big shot from the point, but was not able to get it on target. Footspeed probably an issue. D+

6. van Riemsdyk: Didn't see much of the offensive upside today, but for his first time out that's something I'm okay with. Didn't see him make too many big mistakes in his own end and he had a few nice plays in transition. B-

9. Willows: Rough debut for him. Definitely quick with speed to burn, but was not playing with any confidence with the puck on his stick. Lots of throwaways and turnovers. Tried to hit everything that moved...which for a skilled scorer is usually a sign that he's pressing to make a contribution knowing that he's lacking confidence in the rest of his game. D

10. Speelman: Picked up a couple helpers but was not a huge factor overall I didn't think. A few bad turnovers and at times tried to beat 1 too many guys in the offensive zone. He needs to be better next weekend. C

11. Pavelski: He is what he is, and was effective in that role. Skated hard but you're not going to get much offensive upside. C+

12. Agosta: I see where the footspeed issues were called into question last season, but this kid was my biggest surprise of the day. Showed a very good stick in the defensive zone breaking up a few shots and passes, and made some nice outlets in transition. Was very good at the offensive blueline and on the PP. Nice ability to take something off his shot and get it through traffic or into a spot where one of his guys could get a stick on it. A-

14. Borisenok: Thought he was so-so. Mishandled a few pucks but was good on PK and had a nice pass to spring Moses. Still not convinced he's the guy I want centering my top line from an offensive standpoint, but regardless he'll be a key piece this year. C+

15. Kostolansky: He's got to be the go to guy on the back end this season with Kessel gone...not necessarily in terms of carrying the load offensively, but just as the leader in general... but he didn't seem to really assert himself that way tonight. Fortunately he didn't stand out for any negative reasons either. A quietly solid game but he's capable of being a top defenseman in the league, so more should be expected. C

16. Henrion: I applaud him for his ability to grasp the facemask a facemaskless player. C

17. Camper: Didnt spend much time on the puck, but had a really nice release on his one opportunity in the first period. Has decent size and speed. A little more upside than I expected given what I had read here and in other places. C+

18. Silengo: Thought he played pretty well. Was excellent on draws and carried the puck well in open ice. Big improvement from where he was this time last season. B

19. Thrush: Considering he wasn't supposed to even be here, I thought he played very well. Quick, good size, handled the puck in traffic a few times...pretty good offensive upside. B

21. Sorkin: Looked like he took a nice step from last season and was playing with more confidence. A good candidate to step up as a secondary scorer with ~20 points this season. B+

22. Moses: Best UNH player by far. Nearly scored a highlight reel between the legs goal. Created chances nearly every time he touched the puck and probably could have had 5 goals. Still lacking finish around the net...needs to bury his chances this season for UNH to keep pace offensively. A-

23. McCarey: Kind of like Pavelski you know what you're going to get. As long as he brings his lunch pail he's a good 4th liner, but not much else. C

26. Burke: Finally looked healthy and was playing with confidence. One of UNH's best players tonight along with Moses and Goumas. Carried the puck well, played physical, was good down low in the offensive zone. If he and Sorkin play this well all season UNH may get the secondary scoring they need. A

27. Goumas: Looked really good with Moses and created a ton of chances. Should have finished a couple of chances, but looked dangerous overall. Would like to see him and Moses have a more naturally gifted offensive player between them. B+

28. Downing: Tough when you're rolling 5 lines but the few times he was on the puck he showed great instincts and generated a couple offensive chances. Showed good hockey sense and used his body well to create space several times. Was hoping he'd get some PP time...seems like a very cerebral player...definitely the real deal as he was advertised to be. Will be very disappointed if he spends most of the year on a line with McCarey and Pavelski because he has the offensive skill level to help make Goumas/Moses or Burke/Sorkin more dangerous. B+

30. DiGirolamo: Made some big saves when called upon, but UNB also squandered some pretty good chances with shots off target. He get's some credit for that because he was rarely if ever out of position. Needs to be very good this season and he was tonight. A
                            Sorry u think that way

Comment

Originally posted by Wilsonpicard View Post
                              Sorry u think that way
                              insightful

Comment

• Originally posted by Aerman View Post
                                Curious where that UNH fan got his/her info. Gaudreau DID choose UNH, but given the lateness of the situation needed a firm commitment back from UNH. Admissions was apparently off sunning somewhere and couldn't be roused to make a quick approval. Gaudreau took the bird in the hand and Umile was bull-bleep.
                                So this is the 3rd different account. Not that UNH denied him but that they couldn't be bothered to look at it. Like I said, we'll prob never know.

Comment

Working...
                                X