Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2011-2012 UNH Wildcats

Originally posted by carltonbarrett View Post
    It seems to me that the UNH program reached its high water mark with Umile at the helm a few seasons back now. Just don't see the same talent/depth they had with those great teams in the late 90's and early/mid 2000's, nor do I see the excitement. As good a coach as Umile has been, I think his time has come and gone and the program is on the downhill side of his tenure.
    So yeah... Starting the season this way isn't a lot of fun. Before the game I thought, "I hope at least we score a goal." It feels strange to have that sort of hope or expectation. At the same time, I'm not ready to suggest that Umile is on the downhill side of his tenure. The extent to which he moves forward with this group of kids will be, in my opinion, a much better measure of his value to the program. A 3 game skid mid-season isn't quite as angst ridden as the last couple weeks. Not yet time to panic.

Comment

UNH will obviously get better going forward, but so will everyone else and I'm just not so sure a team that gets outscored what, 14-1 in its first 3 games, is going to have a strong season. I guess time will tell, but we're not talking about a few bad bounces here folks, UNH has been terrible this year.

Comment

As UNH fans, I'm sure that we all remember 2 years ago when we started out 1-6, right? Umile likes to start the season against the better teams as it gives him a true measure of where we need to end up, so while I know it's just yapping, I think we'll be okay when March comes around....I know the journey is bumpy for now but we still need to enjoy it.....yes it ruins my weekend as well when the Wildcats have this bad a 2 game set!

Comment

I have two themes rolling around in my head this morning. First is the comparison of this team with the those of the immediate past. Two years ago I looked at the roster and felt that there were a few players who had the capability of elevating their game and help make UNH competitive. The one who came to the fore, of course, was Bobby Butler. As mentioned before, through talent and extremely hard work he became one of the best players in college hockey that year. Last year, it was the same, the team needed one or two guys to elevate their games. I felt that Paul Thompson was the guy (more so than DeSimone & Sislo) and sure enough, he had an outstanding season. This year I am still wondering who THE guy is going to be. Our senior forwards all work very hard but I don't see any one of them taking charge and carrying the team on their back like Butler and Thompson did. I guess this is proof positive of what Watcher asserts as the decline in talent at UNH over the last 5-6 years.

This leads me to the larger question as to why this is happening. First, UNH has had somewhat of a problem the last few years getting targeted recruits into school. Reid and White are two prime examples, as well as BC's Gaudreau who was second star last night. I was told that admissions, instead of turning him down, didn't even bother to look at his transcript. This tougher attitude at admissions is puzzling to me because UNH Hockey has always had a graduation rate of well over 90%, with more than a few of their players having outstanding academic records (Flashians, Regan, Butler come to mind). Why is this happening to the signature sport at UNH and what can be done to rectify it? This issue has to be weighing on both Umile and Scarano.

Watcher correctly notes that our talent pool has gotten thinner over the years and, beyond the admissions issue, I wonder if the current state of college hockey will prevent UNH from reversing this trend. The overall pool, for all schools, continues to get thinner with so many top level players opting for Major Juniors. The ones that remain will surely gravitate to the signature programs - UND, Denver, Notre Dame, BC, BU - leaving schools like UNH which have always been what I would call "high second tier" scrambling a bit more to find those diamonds in the rough. UNH has always done a good job of getting those guys and Umile has always done a fantastic job molding them into highly competitive teams, but you have to wonder what it is going to be like in the future. I don't want to be a gloom and doomer because UNH has bounced back in the past. But the landscape for college hockey is so different now - the Big Ten, the National Hockey Conference, Notre Dame joining Hockey East - I just wonder if a school like UNH, which is not cash rich, can continue to compete the way they have in the past.

BTW Watcher, re: your last sentence on Tortorella? I had the same thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
            I have two themes rolling around in my head this morning. First is the comparison of this team with the those of the immediate past. Two years ago I looked at the roster and felt that there were a few players who had the capability of elevating their game and help make UNH competitive. The one who came to the fore, of course, was Bobby Butler. As mentioned before, through talent and extremely hard work he became one of the best players in college hockey that year. Last year, it was the same, the team needed one or two guys to elevate their games. I felt that Paul Thompson was the guy (more so than DeSimone & Sislo) and sure enough, he had an outstanding season. This year I am still wondering who THE guy is going to be.
            I figured it would be Henrion and to a lesser extent Moses. These guys could step up and carry the team to some degree but that could be a far cry from the usual 30 goal/Hobey consideration type of performances that guys like Butler and Thompson provided. If that's the case, UNH could be in trouble.
            Originally posted by reBlur
            the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

I have two themes rolling around in my head this morning. First is the comparison of this team with the those of the immediate past. Two years ago I looked at the roster and felt that there were a few players who had the capability of elevating their game and help make UNH competitive. The one who came to the fore, of course, was Bobby Butler. As mentioned before, through talent and extremely hard work he became one of the best players in college hockey that year. Last year, it was the same, the team needed one or two guys to elevate their games. I felt that Paul Thompson was the guy (more so than DeSimone & Sislo) and sure enough, he had an outstanding season. This year I am still wondering who THE guy is going to be. Our senior forwards all work very hard but I don't see any one of them taking charge and carrying the team on their back like Butler and Thompson did. I guess this is proof positive of what Watcher asserts as the decline in talent at UNH over the last 5-6 years.

This leads me to the larger question as to why this is happening. First, UNH has had somewhat of a problem the last few years getting targeted recruits into school. Reid and White are two prime examples, as well as BC's Gaudreau who was second star last night. I was told that admissions, instead of turning him down, didn't even bother to look at his transcript. This tougher attitude at admissions is puzzling to me because UNH Hockey has always had a graduation rate of well over 90%, with more than a few of their players having outstanding academic records (Flashians, Regan, Butler come to mind). Why is this happening to the signature sport at UNH and what can be done to rectify it? This issue has to be weighing on both Umile and Scarano.

Watcher correctly notes that our talent pool has gotten thinner over the years and, beyond the admissions issue, I wonder if the current state of college hockey will prevent UNH from reversing this trend. The overall pool, for all schools, continues to get thinner with so many top level players opting for Major Juniors. The ones that remain will surely gravitate to the signature programs - UND, Denver, Notre Dame, BC, BU - leaving schools like UNH which have always been what I would call "high second tier" scrambling a bit more to find those diamonds in the rough. UNH has always done a good job of getting those guys and Umile has always done a fantastic job molding them into highly competitive teams, but you have to wonder what it is going to be like in the future. I don't want to be a gloom and doomer because UNH has bounced back in the past. But the landscape for college hockey is so different now - the Big Ten, the National Hockey Conference, Notre Dame joining Hockey East - I just wonder if a school like UNH, which is not cash rich, can continue to compete the way they have in the past.

BTW Watcher, re: your last sentence on Tortorella? I had the same thought.
              This issue has to be weighing on both Umile and Scarano.
              And it should on Huddleston, too. You have few profit centers in this money starved State U, the last thing you should allow to happen is let Admissions ignore a student, that could contribute to that profit center, and a student eligible to get into the best academic school in Hockey East, seems like it warrants going to the top if needed. I commend Admissions for holding to standards, but do your job if the kid is at those standards!

Comment

Originally posted by bomberhockey View Post
                This issue has to be weighing on both Umile and Scarano.
                And it should on Huddleston, too. You have few profit centers in this money starved State U, the last thing you should allow to happen is let Admissions ignore a student, that could contribute to that profit center, and a student eligible to get into the best academic school in Hockey East, seems like it warrants going to the top if needed. I commend Admissions for holding to standards, but do your job if the kid is at those standards!
                Well we don't know if this latest recruit Gaudreau would have me the academic standards at UNH, but he had been accepted at Northeastern (his first choice before Cronin left) and now, of course, at BC. BTW, better not describe UNH as the best academic school in Hockey East. There are a few others that a pretty darn good as well.

Comment

Not to beat the dead horse- but those 3 key recuits (Reid,White, Bourque) were all pretty late scratches on the same incoming class-(white and reid played 1 additional yr in Jr's) not to mention they could make up a first line at most schools- as well the 2yr self impossed recruiting sanction began at the very same time- tough pill to swallow. (lets not forget BC was ranked #1 coming into the weekend as well)

Regardless, UNH has stayed very competitive coming within a game of the Frozen 4, in each of the last 3 seasons. So they haven't shown much yet, this yr- I have no doubt they will they may not have that TOP end guy, but they have team players, all with good skills, proven track records. What could make this team dangerous is that just that- not knowing who to key in on. St. Cloud is 1-3 -- Hope they can take mr. Reid and his mates to school- yes, pun indended!

Go 'Cats-
                  Last edited by i'zonprize; 10-16-2011, 03:43 PM.
                  GSP.. Get Some!!

Comment

Didn't see any mention of UNH when Gaudreau decided on BC. Anyway, I find it hard to believe BC would accept him and UNH wouldn't, but whatever...

Originally posted by zoofer View Post
                    As UNH fans, I'm sure that we all remember 2 years ago when we started out 1-6, right? Umile likes to start the season against the better teams as it gives him a true measure of where we need to end up, so while I know it's just yapping, I think we'll be okay when March comes around....I know the journey is bumpy for now but we still need to enjoy it.....yes it ruins my weekend as well when the Wildcats have this bad a 2 game set!
                    Umm when did UNH start 1-6? Also, he has no control over what Hockey East opponents he starts the season with, but I do see that the next three games for UNH are no walk in the park either.

Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
                    I figured it would be Henrion and to a lesser extent Moses. These guys could step up and carry the team to some degree but that could be a far cry from the usual 30 goal/Hobey consideration type of performances that guys like Butler and Thompson provided. If that's the case, UNH could be in trouble.
                    Hokydad definitely thinks it will be Henrion...

Comment

• Re: 2011-2012 UNH Wildcats

After the Gaudreau brothers decomitted from NU in the spring, they visited Vermont, UNH, BU, BC and NU along with an ECAC team or two. Whoever insinuated that they would have gone to UNH if not for academics is mistaken.
                      "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by RockTheWhit View Post
                        After the Gaudreau brothers decomitted from NU in the spring, they visited Vermont, UNH, BU, BC and NU along with an ECAC team or two. Whoever insinuated that they would have gone to UNH if not for academics is mistaken.
                        Thanks for clearing that up.

Comment

I didn't go to any school in HE. Went to a non-hockey playing school in another part of the country, but have lived in New England my whole life. As much as I am anti-BC, I would have to believe if Gaudrea got into BC, he sure as heck could get into UNH. The one thing that interests me is a few people from my high school went to (I believe) the Thompson school or some other program that was offered for borderline admitted students who had to get their grades up or something to that realm. Is that not available for student-athletes?

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                            Umm when did UNH start 1-6?
                            Wasn't 1-6, but after ten games, UNH was 2-6-2 with an OT loss to UMA, and 4 losses by 3 or more goals (including getting stomped on by Wisconsin twice). Link

I agree with the point he's trying to make, though - it's too early to start panicking.
                            Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
                            -Fred Shero

Comment

FWIW, the men's hockey team isn't the only one with this problem, the women's team has also had some trouble clearing potential recruits with admissions the last few seasons.
                              Last edited by ClOuD 9; 10-16-2011, 05:31 PM.
                              "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
                              Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
                              NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
                              EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
                              AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
                              1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Respectfully but strongly disagree with you, but now we will never know.

Comment

Working...
                                X