Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2011-2012 UNH Wildcats

Originally posted by thecomicbookguy View Post
    UNH players, shooting right into defensemen? That never happens!

The 'Cats will score tonight. They just didn't want me to miss their first goal of the season.
    Then start going to some games Matt!
    UNH

"Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it call for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do." -Patton

Comment

'71 - Some of the higher end recruit loses(admissions & Canadian MJ) have really stung- perhaps this period of time- when at least 3 of them would be well seasoned and higly contributing Jr's, is having an impact- However, I do believe that collectively the Team can produce once it finds it's way and the right combo's. They have not played typical UNH hockey- transition, passing, aggressively going to the net. It simply may take a while with a series of adjustments accross all lines-
      D- not much you can do there- when you have 50% of the Dmen out there skating D1 for the first time- there will be growing pains. I think once they learn to play as a unit and really know the system, it will work. It always has.

Regardless- however the past few games have been, these kids have not 'thrown in the towel' during any stretch of time and it would have been easy to do so. Especially being down 3 goals last night in fitst 9 1/2 min. All of them are competitors and I would expect that they would keep at it until they find success. No doubts.

Go Cats's - keep working!!
      Last edited by i'zonprize; 10-15-2011, 11:59 AM.
      GSP.. Get Some!!

Comment

Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
        Well that's just great, you guys are saving all the dang goals for tomorrow night, right?
        I'll be happy with just 1 at this point. Plus my daughter will be ****ed if she doesnt see the fish! BC looked real good last night. I'll be surprised if you lose 5 games this season.

Comment

Originally posted by wildcat View Post
          An inauspicious start for the Wildcats; 0-9 in scoring over the first two games.

Maybe Lassonde was more important to the team's success than everyone thought.
          You're onto something, Denver is undefeated upsetting the #1 team in the country and UNH 0-fer. I thought it might have been
          because they were starting 3 D that have never played college hockey before. Although that doesn't speak into being shutout for the season. Gaudreau looked good for BC, if only Admissions let him in, he'd have looked really good in Blue!!

Comment

Originally posted by GoUNH View Post
            I'll be happy with just 1 at this point. Plus my daughter will be ****ed if she doesnt see the fish! BC looked real good last night. I'll be surprised if you lose 5 games this season.
            BC looked alright last night. They got lazy at times and paid the price. They'll lose 8-12 games again this season.

Take your daughter to the aquarium if she wants to see a fish!

Still not sure if I'll be coming up.
            Originally posted by reBlur
            the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by bomberhockey View Post
              Gaudreau looked good for BC, if only Admissions let him in, he'd have looked really good in Blue!!
              Hahahahhahhahaha.
              Originally posted by reBlur
              the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

One other comment about last night -- no one was going to the net. We had no net-front presence. Rawlings bounced out a few hefty rebounds, but no one was near the net at the time OR the many times the puck was passed there.

Will Umile shake up the lines tonight or keep the lines together hoping the glue starts to set?

Possible (not probable) lines

27-18-16
                28-14-22
                10-21-23
                19-17-3

Comment

For years I've always said to myself that "this is the year where UNH can't replace their Senior scorers". Whether it was Butler, Thompson, Saviano, etc, UNH always seemed to be able to find someone that would step up their game and provide the offense that made them so dangerous. Sure it's early, but am starting to think that this may be the year where that magic has finally run out...

Comment

It seems to me that the UNH program reached its high water mark with Umile at the helm a few seasons back now. Just don't see the same talent/depth they had with those great teams in the late 90's and early/mid 2000's, nor do I see the excitement. As good a coach as Umile has been, I think his time has come and gone and the program is on the downhill side of his tenure.

Comment

On a side-note, does anybody have knowledge about the quality of the St. Cloud online stream? $30 for both games split amongst a few people seems reasonable, but if the video quality is awful then I might just stick to the radio broadcast.

Comment

Originally posted by carltonbarrett View Post
                        It seems to me that the UNH program reached its high water mark with Umile at the helm a few seasons back now. Just don't see the same talent/depth they had with those great teams in the late 90's and early/mid 2000's, nor do I see the excitement. As good a coach as Umile has been, I think his time has come and gone and the program is on the downhill side of his tenure.
                        But if we were able to keep the players we recruited don't you think things would be different? I think the college game has changed since the late 90s/early 2000s. People are leaving much more frequently or taking different routes. Not trying to make excuses but it's something to think about.
                        UNH

"Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it call for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do." -Patton

Comment

JVR and Butler are 2 examples of how the talent has dropped, and Butler not heavily recruited to D1, granted he made himself the player he is now through hard work while at unh. K Yandle and Bourque?

Comment

All good programs lose players to the pros, not just UNH. Back in the day, UNH went 3 scoring lines deep. For the past few years, it's been one strong line and then three 3rd/4th type lines. Just go back and look at those old rosters and you will see what I mean.

Comment

All good programs lose players to the pros, not just UNH. Back in the day, UNH went 3 scoring lines deep. For the past few years, it's been one strong line and then three 3rd/4th type lines. Just go back and look at those old rosters and you will see what I mean.
                              When you look at those rosters are you looking at their cumulative scoring or year over year. Thompson wasn't a prolific scorer or even dress alot when an underclassman, then late junior and really senior year became "the guy". Same with Butler to a lesser extent. The 2nd liners usually become "the guys" as upperclassmen. It's a marathon, let the D settle in and the 1st liners will start breaking out along with the "the guys" of the future.

Comment

For the past several years UNH has consistently started each season fast and raced to the front of the pack, ahead of other teams struggling to find first gear, and then ran out of gas as those same teams continued to accelerate past them by season's end. Perhaps it's the rose-(or blue-)colored glasses I'm wearing, but I think the 'Cats will eventually overcome their difficulties and will find their groove.

It's way too early to believe that this will be a season to forget. Pre-season concerns (where is the scoring going to come from? the defense is very young...) were, and still are, valid, but the more they play, I believe the better they'll get. I also think that, along with the above concerns, the combination of playing just one exhibition game, and then facing 3 consecutive HE teams in BU, NU and BC (with the 1st two games away) has been a tremendous challenge for this young team.

Last night's game against BC was the first I've seen this season, and despite the score, it was at least somewhat heartening that UNH got stronger as the game went along. They didn't give up, and that's an important sign. I'm optimistic that they will have a good weekend by traveling to SCSU -- with only future pairwise considerations at risk, not points in Hockey East.
                                We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found ourselves than by those which have occurred to others.
                                ---Blaise Pascal

When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.
                                --Richard Dawkins

UNH Wildcats: Winners, 20XX NCAA Men's Hockey National Championship

Comment

Working...
                                X