2011-2012 UNH Wildcats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2011-2012 UNH Wildcats

So, Northeastern at home tonight and at Merrimack tomorrow... what are the thoughts for the weekend? I think if UNH gets off to another quick start tonight, Northeastern, coming off of a thrashing in the snoozepot on Monday, might be fragile enough to mail it in, but if NU gets ahead early, it might be tough as they're good with a lead, and on the road... I'll predict a win at home and a 2-1, 3-2 loss at the Mack, though they've shown they're good enough to win down there against a solid team. Both games are on TV (WBIN tonight and NESN tomorrow) so it'll be nice to be able to catch them both....

Man, it's quiet around here...

Comment

Originally posted by WildShawn View Post
      ..Man, it's quiet around here...
      ..kinda like the Husky locker room.. you guys will do fine.
      GO NU HOCKEY
      Always bullish on the future.
      We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Wow, NOTHING here? I thought we played well, got some breaks off hard work, nice fun flowing game to watch, the 'cats gradually turned the game around. DeSmith should have had a star. I feel for Digi, but DeSmith made several saves that earlier in the year would have been 50/50 with Matt. The heck with the official score, I am crediting the 3rd goal to Thrush. An inch X 3 and this is a blowout and a hat trick for Henrion.
        I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
          Wow, NOTHING here? I thought we played well, got some breaks off hard work, nice fun flowing game to watch, the 'cats gradually turned the game around. DeSmith should have had a star. I feel for Digi, but DeSmith made several saves that earlier in the year would have been 50/50 with Matt. The heck with the official score, I am crediting the 3rd goal to Thrush. An inch X 3 and this is a blowout and a hat trick for Henrion.
          It was a good win, no doubt. It seems to me we have been good at blocking shots and passes in our defensive zone for much of the season, which has helped DeSmith out (and he has been good when he's needed to make the stops -- the save he made on Tuckerman, who received an excellent pass in the neutral zone, lit the afterburners and went in alone, was outstanding.)

Still, I wish we played a more physical game -- there are always plenty of opportunities to play the body legally, even on the larger sheet, and we rarely follow through. I've always thought we play better when we hit (and I'm not talking about stupidly blatant penalties) because we're moving the feet. I hope to see more of that style tonight in Merrimack on the smaller surface.

Hey, 3 wins in a row -- not bad.
          We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found ourselves than by those which have occurred to others.
          ---Blaise Pascal

When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.
          --Richard Dawkins

UNH Wildcats: Winners, 20XX NCAA Men's Hockey National Championship

Comment

Originally posted by goblue View Post
            Still, I wish we played a more physical game -- there are always plenty of opportunities to play the body legally, even on the larger sheet, and we rarely follow through. I've always thought we play better when we hit (and I'm not talking about stupidly blatant penalties) because we're moving the feet. I hope to see more of that style tonight in Merrimack on the smaller surface.
            For sure. I can't count how many times, especially early I thought or yelled, "Hit him".

Comment

Happy with the win, like was mentioined 4 hit post away from being a blow out. Like the way the protected the puck and had very few turnovers and didn't take any stupid penalties. A few more hits would have been nice, but didn't decide the game. Do think they will have to be more aggresive at the Mack tonight. If they can do that and Heniron can get his shot 2 more inches over will have a chance tonight, and a win at the Mack would be 2 huge points as Maine and BU did us no favors last night. Is Lowell really #1 in the pairwise? Who would have thought we would ever see Lowell and Merrimack have a time at the top in the same year and the Cats still under 500 on Feb 11th, how times have changed

Comment

Those first two goals were absolute gifts by Rawlings who is terrible. NU dominated the first 1/2 of the game, thankfully UNH had the lead and were able to ease their way into taking over the last half of the game, but the first half, they were getting beat to every puck. The defense did a decent job to keeping the puck to the outside and clearing rebounds, so that's a positive, and they did get better as the game went on.

That said, I hope someone knocks Bitetto's block off next time he's on the ice for the cheap shot elbow to the back of Moses' head in the UNH crease as time was expiring.

Comment

UNH Men's Ice Hockey: Matt Di Girolamo interview on WBIN-TV:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-u43V6PPYM

Comment

Well, a win tonight would be huge. With the next 4 against Vermont and UMass, UNH could build some pretty strong momentum heading into the post season. The standings are so tight, who knows what will happen, but all thIngs considered, things stack up for a strong finish to the season and then hope to salvage things in the post season.

Comment

Originally posted by Nifty16 View Post
                      Happy with the win, like was mentioined 4 hit post away from being a blow out. Like the way the protected the puck and had very few turnovers and didn't take any stupid penalties. A few more hits would have been nice, but didn't decide the game. Do think they will have to be more aggresive at the Mack tonight. If they can do that and Heniron can get his shot 2 more inches over will have a chance tonight, and a win at the Mack would be 2 huge points as Maine and BU did us no favors last night. Is Lowell really #1 in the pairwise? Who would have thought we would ever see Lowell and Merrimack have a time at the top in the same year and the Cats still under 500 on Feb 11th, how times have changed

Who would have thought
                      It's a sign of the times, and the new recruitment process. It is called Recruitment by promotion or "the BUZZ". Mack and Lowell have been left recruiting all the kids who can play that were left behind the last couple of years due to the new listen and don't believe what you see recruitment processes. You have folks on the Maine board arguing whatever or not it is an acceptable level of play for a Hockey East Dman to not be able to handle the puck reliably in their own zone. One poster went so far to say that coughing the puck up over and over in the zone doesn't not give anyone the right to call the dman awful. He is probably a really nice kid an all but.... Puck control must not be a skill high on the recruiting checklist anymore for D1 dmen. As long as everyone around says and promotes that what you are witnessing is good , it must be good. "Perception becomes reality" that may be true, but that kind of reality unfortunately doesn not translate into wins.

Comment

Pretty entertaining game tonight with both teams controlling play for good stretches of the game including UNH having the better of the play in overtime. Still trying to figure out how that's not a penalty on Cannata taking out the forward with his stick like that and negating a scoring chance. I get that its overtime, but there's no excuse for not making that call. Oh well...

Comment

• Originally posted by WildShawn View Post
                          Pretty entertaining game tonight with both teams controlling play for good stretches of the game including UNH having the better of the play in overtime. Still trying to figure out how that's not a penalty on Cannata taking out the forward with his stick like that and negating a scoring chance. I get that its overtime, but there's no excuse for not making that call. Oh well...
                          Well, I was satisfied with the point, and I'd bet Merrimack was happy too, based upon the numerous chances we had. Of course, 2 points would have been more helpful -- but Cannata made some great stops. I was also happy to see a good effort by the 'Cats.

It's been a few years since I've been to the Lawlor, and the first since the renovation. Good to see their student fans support the team --thats' a big change since my last visit. Otherwise, it's still a high school rink, but now with middle school-sized seats (man, they're small.) Also, I guess I'm surprised that glass height isn't a standard in the NCAA. Pucks that stay in play in other rinks are either in the netting or in the stands in Merrimack.

Let's pick up 4 points next weekend against the Cantamounts!
                          Last edited by goblue; 02-12-2012, 08:58 AM.
                          We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found ourselves than by those which have occurred to others.
                          ---Blaise Pascal

When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.
                          --Richard Dawkins

UNH Wildcats: Winners, 20XX NCAA Men's Hockey National Championship

Comment

"Wildcat Wrapup: UNH Beats Northeastern; Ties Merrimack"
                            The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by goblue View Post
                              Well, I was satisfied with the point, and I'd bet Merrimack was happy too, based upon the numerous chances we had. Of course, 2 points would have been more helpful -- but Cannata made some great stops. I was also happy to see a good effort by the 'Cats.

It's been a few years since I've been to the Lawlor, and the first since the renovation. Good to see their student fans support the team --thats' a big change since my last visit. Otherwise, it's still a high school rink, but now with middle school-sized seats (man, they're small.) Also, I guess I'm surprised that glass height isn't a standard in the NCAA. Pucks that stay in play in other rinks are either in the netting or in the stands in Merrimack.

Let's pick up 4 points next weekend against the Cantamounts!
                              MC really could have used more than 1 point this weekend, we're in rough shape for home ice now and the prospect of a first round series at BC or Maine is daunting.

And really, what are you expecting, Yankee Stadium luxury seating?

Comment

at this point a 3 point weekend is a huge weekend, really happy with the effort down at the Mack, they threw everything they could at one of the top goalies in the country, though the guy at the other end isn't to shabby either. They have really seemed to step it up against the top teams, which is a good sign for the playoffs. But cant sit back and take Vermont lightly next weekend, need to come out and put the foot down on the peddle all weekend and cant afford to drop any points. Hopefully will be a good weekend to get some more scoring from the 2nd and 3rd line, would love to see Willows break through he really has played well and deserves to get on the score sheet, hopefully we play well enough so Tyler Scott can make an appearance on Saturday night

Comment

Working...
                                X