2011-2012 UNH Wildcats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2011-2012 UNH Wildcats

While it hurt to have happen in overtime I thought the call against Goumas was a no brainer. I had much more of a problem with the interference call against Block on Friday night. The play was hardly smooth or clean but watching it live I thought he still made a partial play on the puck.

Comment

Originally posted by smitre View Post
      While it hurt to have happen in overtime I thought the call against Goumas was a no brainer. I had much more of a problem with the interference call against Block on Friday night. The play was hardly smooth or clean but watching it live I thought he still made a partial play on the puck.
      The call against Block Friday night was legit. He leg checked the guy at center ice. The fact that Block did not play last night leads me to believe that Umile thought it was a penalty as well. As for Goumas, this weekend I saw traits in his game that made me frown. Too much one-on-one stuff, trying to stick handle through the whole BC team. He took a stupid hooking penalty in the second period Friday night and had the penalty in OT last night. And this comes a week after his penalty which negated a UNH goal vs. Merrimack. Not good.

I am encouraged by the way UNH has stepped up the D since the first of the year. But I am beyond frustrated with the penalties. Listen Wildcats, you are not good enough to withstand multiple trips to the penalty box and expect to win. It cost you against Merrimack and it cost you in both games this weekend. Most penalties to me are selfish plays triggered by laziness on the part of the player. Sure, there are times when you have to haul or hook a guy down because he is breaking away, but on both of Goumas' penalties and the one by Block there was really no need for what they did because it wasn't going to impact the play in front of them. Their actions wound up costing them at a time of the season when they can least afford it.

Comment

The Cats really could use 3 or 4 points this weekend, and could tie up PC for 6th in HE with a sweep (hard to believe, given three losses in a row). They probably would need 8 or 9 wins to get home ice in the HE tourney, but at this point I would settle for 5th or 6th and a visit somewhere other than Orono.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
          The Cats really could use 3 or 4 points this weekend, and could tie up PC for 6th in HE with a sweep (hard to believe, given three losses in a row). They probably would need 8 or 9 wins to get home ice in the HE tourney, but at this point I would settle for 5th or 6th and a visit somewhere other than Orono.
          If they show up like they did last saturday I dont see why they cant get 3 or 4 points, would love 4 and moving up the standings, I am really looking at 6th in HE and who knows in the first round. If thier play keeps getting better like it has the last couple of weeks and find some scoring I don't see why they couldnt pull the upset in the playoffs, their is no one out there that is that scary. Seems like it has gone in spurts in HE this year as who the best team is, and if they finally get hot in March I wil take my chances

Comment

I want Lowell in the quarterfinals.

Comment

Originally posted by WildShawn View Post
              Let me assure you, that feeling is mutual.
              Lowell Forever
              Forever Lowell

Comment

Originally posted by WildShawn View Post
                Don't blame you. Not sure if I've ever seen a pretender like this that high up in the PWR at any point after Dec 1st in the past 5 years at least.

But I think it's an unlikely matchup given where the two will likely finish.
                Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                  Don't blame you. Not sure if I've ever seen a pretender like this that high up in the PWR at any point after Dec 1st in the past 5 years at least.

But I think it's an unlikely matchup given where the two will likely finish.
                  I'm curious as to why you think UML is a "pretender". Excellent goaltending (if Carr were going to falter, wouldn't it have happened by now?), 3rd in HE in offense, they stay out of the box (last in penalty minutes) and a new coach who seems to have instilled a significantly improved attitude. Where is the smoke and mirrors?
                  Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Originally posted by RENCEB View Post
                    I'm curious as to why you think UML is a "pretender".
                    - 21st strength of schedule (including horrible NC slate of Uconn twice, UAH, Mankato twice, RPI)
                    - Struggles with Uconn (L and OT win)
                    - Big wins mostly vs struggling teams at the time (vs. BU when they were struggling - BU had lost to HC and got blown out by PC around the same time and wins, 2 wins @ Maine when Maine was struggling, W vs. BC in the middle of their struggles).

It is what it is. We'll know more after they battle Merrimack 3 times, BU twice, and Maine once in a 6 straight stretch (not in that order).

Then again, they might do well, Maine is in WAY over their heads, BU might be fading here and has injury issues (plus you never know when someone might leave the program, get kicked off randomly by Jacko, or get arrested), and Merrimack might be fading a bit as well.
                    Last edited by Nick Papagiorgio; 02-02-2012, 01:58 PM. Reason: Looks like the win vs. BC was during a long bad stretch for them as well
                    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                      - 21st strength of schedule (including horrible NC slate of Uconn twice, UAH, Mankato twice, RPI)
                      - Struggles with Uconn (L and OT win)
                      - Big wins mostly vs struggling teams at the time (vs. BU when they were struggling - BU had lost to HC and got blown out by PC around the same time and wins, 2 wins @ Maine when Maine was struggling, W vs. BC... an admittedly decent win when BC was playing well early in the season).

It is what it is. We'll know more after they battle Merrimack 3 times, BU twice, and Maine once in a 6 straight stretch (not in that order).

Then again, they might do well, Maine is in WAY over their heads, BU might be fading here and has injury issues (plus you never know when someone might leave the program, get kicked off randomly by Jacko, or get arrested), and Merrimack's might be fading a bit as well.

When Lowell beats a good team early in the season it's because that team was struggling and it says nothing about Lowell as a team.

When Lowell looses to UConn early in the season it's because Lowell's obviously not very good and it says everything about Lowell as a team.

Ok, got it.
                      Lowell Forever
                      Forever Lowell

Comment

Good. Try not to cry too much about. I'm happy for Lowell. Better than seeing UMA in their spot.

Comment

Originally posted by Patronick View Post
                          Let me assure you, that feeling is mutual.
                          Not because UNH would be favored (they wouldn't against any of the top 4), I just want to be able to go to the games, and not in a high school gym. (But congrats, this is a historically bad season for UNH, and it's still better than the average UML season)

I think UNH will finish 6th still, though not sure where UML is standing and where they will stand. They blew out UML once, and lost twice that weekend because of their awful goaltender who is currently riding the pine.
                          Last edited by WildShawn; 02-02-2012, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Well who would have thought the biggest game of the year would be against Providence, but this weekend is bigger than the games against Merrimack and BC. 3 or 4 points this weekend would be huge for the playoff push, can’t let Providence take the points if we have want any chance of getting up to the 6th seed. I am looking for the boys to come out of the gates with everything as they should know this is do or die, as has been the question the last month where will they get the secondary scoring? Will we see anyone step up this weekend, my pick for that is Burke, liked the way he played last weekend thing he is on the cusp on playing like he was right before he went out.

Comment

Originally posted by Nifty16 View Post
                              Will we see anyone step up this weekend, my pick for that is Burke, liked the way he played last weekend thing he is on the cusp on playing like he was right before he went out.
                              I also liked the fact that that line was essentially the first line last Saturday....well, at least until overtime...Burke's line is more balanced, gitty and defensively oriented than the alleged top line...that said look for Moses to have a big weekend. UNH is playing a team in the bottom half of the league, those are the ones he feasts on...
                              UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Im looking for Sorkin to step it up this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                X