Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2011-2012 UNH Wildcats

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: 2011-2012 UNH Wildcats

    "UNH Still Winless on the Road"
    The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

    Comment


    • Re: 2011-2012 UNH Wildcats

      **Crickets**

      No one even cares anymore, eh?

      I didn't think the game was that bad last night, and if not for Digi not being able to control rebounds (all three goals were banged in rebounds, good hard work by UML), they win that game last night, and pick up the sweep at home tonight.

      It was fun seeing that place banged out (allegedly sold out at 6800+), good atmosphere and a great arena to watch a game...

      Comment


      • Re: 2011-2012 UNH Wildcats

        Last night's game did a great job of setting up periods 7-9. In both ends of the rink, I'd like to see the boys do a lot more of one thing - loiter at the crease. At least the first 2 Lowell goals game from rebounds and an unguarded skater. No one there to block the shooter, or at lease clear the puck.

        Offensively, I lost track of how many times the setup pass went right by the front of the net with the goalie a half a moment behind in reaction. Again, nobody at the crease.

        I like the aggression that's being shown (sometimes), but they gotta figure out how to put a leash on it. This isn't the first game I've seen where they enter the second period from behind and waste the 20 minutes sitting in the waiting room. I suspect tonight will not be the night they figure that out, given the brawls we saw last night. This should be a good, scrappy, intense game.

        Furthermore, you can't cruise by to start, be reckless in the middle, scramble in the end and expect good things to automatically go your way. This is a hockey game, not a UNH undergrad course.
        Last edited by Umileated; 12-03-2011, 01:00 PM.
        Hit Somebody!

        Comment


        • Re: 2011-2012 UNH Wildcats

          Forwards:
          Speelman is missed, I hope he can make a full recovery sooner than expected.
          I'd like to see Thrush with McCarey and Borisenok again. Played as the third line perhaps?
          Sorkin and Moses should not be broken up (as they were for Harvard) - they are working well together.

          Defense:
          I am not a fan of players redshirting for reasons other than injuries. I hope this doesn't become a trend.
          TVR and Hardowa are the best pairing IMO.

          Goaltending:
          In June 2010 many were concerned with the goaltending situation for the upcoming season, Digi had only 4-5 (?) starts and limited playing time otherwise.
          How is everyone going to feel in June 2012? Wyer has 1 start, and 2 other short appearances? Of course, he hasn't looked as shakey as Digi did at times prior, but let's be real here... Wyer needs more time under his belt before taking over. When will Umile allow it? Brown?

          Team:
          Big game tonight, as they all are going forward.
          Lately, they've had trouble putting together a full 60 minute effort.

          Comment


          • Re: 2011-2012 UNH Wildcats

            How bad are Wyer and DeSmith if they're not getting any starts? I really hate to single out any one player since they are still young, especially on the blue line, but, Digiorlamo has been just plain bad. I guess if the Harvard debacle doesn't bring change, nothing will. Frustrating.
            Last edited by WildShawn; 12-03-2011, 09:13 PM.

            Comment


            • Re: 2011-2012 UNH Wildcats

              Originally posted by Saetia22 View Post
              Goaltending:
              In June 2010 many were concerned with the goaltending situation for the upcoming season, How is everyone going to feel in June 2012?
              A hell of a lot better than I feel right now
              UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

              Comment


              • Re: 2011-2012 UNH Wildcats

                All those new coaches in Hockey East are a breath of fresh air. Whether it is changing a tired goalie for a game or two, or changing coaching staffs, or even changing the atmosphere on the players bench .... anyone else notice that the Lowell players were animated and standing for the entire game while the UNH players sat throughout the game and reflected the moribund atmosphere radiating from just in back of them?

                Change can be a good thing .... although I am sure the apologists will be unsettled by this post ..............

                Comment


                • Re: 2011-2012 UNH Wildcats

                  Originally posted by sonar View Post
                  All those new coaches in Hockey East are a breath of fresh air. Whether it is changing a terrible goalie for a game or two, or changing coaching staffs, or even changing the atmosphere on the players bench .... anyone else notice that the Lowell players were animated and standing for the entire game while the UNH players sat throughout the game and reflected the moribund atmosphere radiating from just in back of them?

                  Change can be a good thing .... although I am sure the apologists will be unsettled by this post ..............
                  fyp
                  UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

                  Comment


                  • Re: 2011-2012 UNH Wildcats

                    The only positive about this season is that Maine is still worse than UNH.

                    Comment


                    • Re: 2011-2012 UNH Wildcats

                      I don't know who the other goalies on the roster are, but at this point if they're breathing they have to be better than DiGirolamo, right?
                      Lowell Forever
                      Forever Lowell

                      Comment


                      • Re: 2011-2012 UNH Wildcats

                        Originally posted by Patronick View Post
                        I don't know who the other goalies on the roster are, but at this point if they're breathing they have to be better than DiGirolamo, right?
                        This foolishness with the goaltending situation can't be doing Wyer and DeSmith any good. Each has to be wondering what they have to do to get in a game.
                        UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

                        Comment


                        • Re: 2011-2012 UNH Wildcats

                          I missed out on this weekends games. From what I've read here: Digi is struggling again (so bad, it is possible both losses might attribute to bad goaltending?) Umile needs to get Wyer some starts, what better time than against BU, who is hot and cold. He played DiGi against PC the last game before Christmas break of 09. Sadly, it seems Dicky has lost his toughness, and has become a softy for upperclassmen.

                          Comment


                          • Re: 2011-2012 UNH Wildcats

                            Originally posted by Saetia22 View Post
                            I missed out on this weekends games. From what I've read here: Digi is struggling again (so bad, it is possible both losses might attribute to bad goaltending?) Umile needs to get Wyer some starts, what better time than against BU, who is hot and cold. He played DiGi against PC the last game before Christmas break of 09. Sadly, it seems Dicky has lost his toughness, and has become a softy for upperclassmen.
                            DiGi is struggling right now, but I'm critical of the defense in front of him. Last night, and again tonight the issue was rebounds and last second passes on the charge. As soon as skater A makes a strong charge into the zone, 3 men are covering him, and ignoring skater B right behind them. Then there's either a shot rebound or a handoff at the crease that allows skater B to lob a shot that even I could have made. It's like watching a pack of dogs go for a tennis ball.

                            The second period went just like any other. The undoing in the third was letting UML get some speed under them and control the pace. I'll take the team that hits improperly and racks up penalties before the team I saw in the third tonight.
                            Hit Somebody!

                            Comment


                            • Re: 2011-2012 UNH Wildcats

                              Please start Wyer or DeSmith. If for no other reason then to shake things up. I bet Digi comes back after the break on FIRE if he sits against BU.

                              Comment


                              • Re: 2011-2012 UNH Wildcats

                                Originally posted by Umileated View Post
                                DiGi is struggling right now, but I'm critical of the defense in front of him. Last night, and again tonight the issue was rebounds and last second passes on the charge. As soon as skater A makes a strong charge into the zone, 3 men are covering him, and ignoring skater B right behind them. Then there's either a shot rebound or a handoff at the crease that allows skater B to lob a shot that even I could have made. It's like watching a pack of dogs go for a tennis ball.

                                The second period went just like any other. The undoing in the third was letting UML get some speed under them and control the pace. I'll take the team that hits improperly and racks up penalties before the team I saw in the third tonight.
                                Thanks for your input, Umile. Unfortunately, now I have two semiconflicting stories about tonights game. From what I've seen throughout the year, I can assume that both team defense and goaltending can be a weak link.
                                Nice to see Thrush score again.. it seems (so far) that this freshmen class could be pretty good offensively.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X