X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WILD E WOLVERINE
    replied
    Re: 2011-2012 UNH Wildcats

Well, a win tonight would be huge. With the next 4 against Vermont and UMass, UNH could build some pretty strong momentum heading into the post season. The standings are so tight, who knows what will happen, but all thIngs considered, things stack up for a strong finish to the season and then hope to salvage things in the post season.

Leave a comment:

• Darius
    replied

UNH Men's Ice Hockey: Matt Di Girolamo interview on WBIN-TV:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-u43V6PPYM

Leave a comment:

• WildShawn
    replied

Those first two goals were absolute gifts by Rawlings who is terrible. NU dominated the first 1/2 of the game, thankfully UNH had the lead and were able to ease their way into taking over the last half of the game, but the first half, they were getting beat to every puck. The defense did a decent job to keeping the puck to the outside and clearing rebounds, so that's a positive, and they did get better as the game went on.

That said, I hope someone knocks Bitetto's block off next time he's on the ice for the cheap shot elbow to the back of Moses' head in the UNH crease as time was expiring.

Leave a comment:

• Nifty16
    replied

Happy with the win, like was mentioined 4 hit post away from being a blow out. Like the way the protected the puck and had very few turnovers and didn't take any stupid penalties. A few more hits would have been nice, but didn't decide the game. Do think they will have to be more aggresive at the Mack tonight. If they can do that and Heniron can get his shot 2 more inches over will have a chance tonight, and a win at the Mack would be 2 huge points as Maine and BU did us no favors last night. Is Lowell really #1 in the pairwise? Who would have thought we would ever see Lowell and Merrimack have a time at the top in the same year and the Cats still under 500 on Feb 11th, how times have changed

Leave a comment:

• Darius
    replied

Originally posted by goblue View Post
    Still, I wish we played a more physical game -- there are always plenty of opportunities to play the body legally, even on the larger sheet, and we rarely follow through. I've always thought we play better when we hit (and I'm not talking about stupidly blatant penalties) because we're moving the feet. I hope to see more of that style tonight in Merrimack on the smaller surface.
    For sure. I can't count how many times, especially early I thought or yelled, "Hit him".

Leave a comment:

• goblue
    replied

Originally posted by Darius View Post
    Wow, NOTHING here? I thought we played well, got some breaks off hard work, nice fun flowing game to watch, the 'cats gradually turned the game around. DeSmith should have had a star. I feel for Digi, but DeSmith made several saves that earlier in the year would have been 50/50 with Matt. The heck with the official score, I am crediting the 3rd goal to Thrush. An inch X 3 and this is a blowout and a hat trick for Henrion.
    It was a good win, no doubt. It seems to me we have been good at blocking shots and passes in our defensive zone for much of the season, which has helped DeSmith out (and he has been good when he's needed to make the stops -- the save he made on Tuckerman, who received an excellent pass in the neutral zone, lit the afterburners and went in alone, was outstanding.)

Still, I wish we played a more physical game -- there are always plenty of opportunities to play the body legally, even on the larger sheet, and we rarely follow through. I've always thought we play better when we hit (and I'm not talking about stupidly blatant penalties) because we're moving the feet. I hope to see more of that style tonight in Merrimack on the smaller surface.

Hey, 3 wins in a row -- not bad.

Leave a comment:

• Darius
    replied

Wow, NOTHING here? I thought we played well, got some breaks off hard work, nice fun flowing game to watch, the 'cats gradually turned the game around. DeSmith should have had a star. I feel for Digi, but DeSmith made several saves that earlier in the year would have been 50/50 with Matt. The heck with the official score, I am crediting the 3rd goal to Thrush. An inch X 3 and this is a blowout and a hat trick for Henrion.

Leave a comment:

• northeastern
    replied

Originally posted by WildShawn View Post
    ..Man, it's quiet around here...
    ..kinda like the Husky locker room.. you guys will do fine.

Leave a comment:

• WildShawn
    replied

So, Northeastern at home tonight and at Merrimack tomorrow... what are the thoughts for the weekend? I think if UNH gets off to another quick start tonight, Northeastern, coming off of a thrashing in the snoozepot on Monday, might be fragile enough to mail it in, but if NU gets ahead early, it might be tough as they're good with a lead, and on the road... I'll predict a win at home and a 2-1, 3-2 loss at the Mack, though they've shown they're good enough to win down there against a solid team. Both games are on TV (WBIN tonight and NESN tomorrow) so it'll be nice to be able to catch them both....

Man, it's quiet around here...

Leave a comment:

• Nifty16
    replied

As they say in Major League “Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do” : Win the whole f’ing thing.” Not counting on it thought but would be nice.
    But on to this weekend looking forward to a good weekend of hockey, hopefully the team is up for it and realizes what is on the line Friday night. Do have to say I have been impressed with the students this year, would think with a down year that they would not be into as much but they have been pretty good, hopefully will be really loud Friday night and really give the home ice advantage.

Leave a comment:

• C-H-C
    replied

"UNH Hockey: Weekend Preview"

Leave a comment:

• goblue
    replied

Originally posted by JB View Post
    I haven't done any math but my gut says to get to the NCAAs this year it is via winning the HE Championship. Could be wrong but i don't think even winning out would do it. Particularly when you look at the "favorable" schedule - the 5 against NU, UMass, VT, (8,9,10) aren't going to help. Now Maine and Merrimack will along with 1st and 2nd round HE (5 good games) but the whole is deep.
    Well, the idealist in me says "Sure, we can make it again to the NCAAs -- by winning 2 out of 3 in the HE quarters on the road (home ice isn't in the cards this year), and then winning both games at the Garden. It could happen" The realist says "What are you talking about? Winning on the road? It's been hard enough to win at home. And if you think the Cats could win 2 at the Garden, you're drunker than I thought."

I'm going with the realist -- there will be no playoff swoon this year (Though I'd love to see us play the spoiler as UVM did against us last year -- in which case we're at the Garden and playing with the house's money.)

Leave a comment:

• WILD E WOLVERINE
    replied
    Originally posted by JB View Post
    I haven't done any math but my gut says to get to the NCAAs this year it is via winning the HE Championship. Could be wrong but i don't think even winning out would do it. Particularly when you look at the "favorable" schedule - the 5 against NU, UMass, VT, (8,9,10) aren't going to help. Now Maine and Merrimack will along with 1st and 2nd round HE (5 good games) but the whole is deep.
    Yep - auto qualify or bust at this point.

Leave a comment:

• JB
    replied

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
    If they could win out the regular season, including big pwr point opportuntities with Mac and Maine, could they perhaps receive a NCAA bid by getting into the championship HE tourney game?

Leave a comment:

• WildShawn
    replied

So, um, anything to discuss? Back up in 6th place, is that best case scenario for the Cats? Couple of big games this weekend, what are the thoughts?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X