Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official 2011-2012 Minnesota State University, Mankato Maverick Hockey Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Re: Official 2011-2012 Minnesota State University, Mankato Maverick Hockey Thread

    So much despair in Maverick land right now. I'm kinda scared to see how "un-lively" it's going to be this weekend.
    Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

    Comment


    • #32
      Re: Official 2011-2012 Minnesota State University, Mankato Maverick Hockey Thread

      Originally posted by Bale View Post
      So much despair in Maverick land right now. I'm kinda scared to see how "un-lively" it's going to be this weekend.
      I hope we can hit 3500 Saturday..maybe I'm just too optimistic about this season? I think we have a chance to surprise a lot of people?
      AF 99

      M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

      Comment


      • #33
        Re: Official 2011-2012 Minnesota State University, Mankato Maverick Hockey Thread

        Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
        I hope we can hit 3500 Saturday..maybe I'm just too optimistic about this season? I think we have a chance to surprise a lot of people?
        I think we've got a shot as well. I wasn't as high on our senior D last year as most people were. I thought they gave up too many turnovers and odd man rushes that made their scoring prowess irrelevant. This team seems to be a little bit better at being responsible and taking chances when warranted. I'm also looking for our sophomore forwards to take a big step. I know it's a step down, but we have the cream of the crop from the Fargo Force team that was very good a couple of years ago. I'm impressed with the leaders on the team and think that could play a bigger role than anyone thinks. We are missing one very huge part though....a consistent scorer. It's been missing since Kalinski left and an argument could be made that it goes back as far as Backes. I have high hopes for Grant this year, but he's still young and hasn't proven anything on this level.
        Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

        Comment


        • #34
          Re: Official 2011-2012 Minnesota State University, Mankato Maverick Hockey Thread

          Originally posted by Bale View Post
          I think we've got a shot as well. I wasn't as high on our senior D last year as most people were. I thought they gave up too many turnovers and odd man rushes that made their scoring prowess irrelevant. This team seems to be a little bit better at being responsible and taking chances when warranted. I'm also looking for our sophomore forwards to take a big step. I know it's a step down, but we have the cream of the crop from the Fargo Force team that was very good a couple of years ago. I'm impressed with the leaders on the team and think that could play a bigger role than anyone thinks. We are missing one very huge part though....a consistent scorer. It's been missing since Kalinski left and an argument could be made that it goes back as far as Backes. I have high hopes for Grant this year, but he's still young and hasn't proven anything on this level.
          The guy who could potentially become this guy, is Matt Leitner. Leitner is our most skilled player, but he needs to play on the top 2 lines to be relevant and effective. He dominated in the USHL, and is a year bigger and stronger after working out last year. That kid is going to be real, real good, if the coaches put him where he should be.

          I think it hurts a lot the Elbrecht broke his elbow. That's the captain and a solid defenseman, the guy who makes sure everyone is working hard, and is a prime example of the work ethic the entire team needs.

          This weekend the team, and the fans should expect a sweep, and anything less will be very, very disappointing.
          AF 99

          M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

          Comment


          • #35
            Re: Official 2011-2012 Minnesota State University, Mankato Maverick Hockey Thread

            "The guy" is clearly Jean-Paul Lafontaine, because you can't help but cheer for a guy with a name like that
            '59, '63, '80, '82, '87, '97, '00, [BANNER PENDING]

            Fighting Sioux Forever

            Comment


            • #36
              Re: Official 2011-2012 Minnesota State University, Mankato Maverick Hockey Thread

              That IS a great hockey name!
              My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by icelund View Post
                "The guy" is clearly Jean-Paul Lafontaine, because you can't help but cheer for a guy with a name like that
                Gotta love having guys with great hockey names! Hopefully he can impact the team, too

                MavsFan..that's a positive comment towards the team?!
                AF 99

                M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

                Comment


                • #38
                  Re: Official 2011-2012 Minnesota State University, Mankato Maverick Hockey Thread

                  Ugh, Elbrecht having surgery on Friday and out until December. Tough, tough loss there. I've been following this kid on twitter for the past couple months and his leadership seems like the real thing. Teammates seem to be gravitating towards him. It's up to those guys to either give up or rally around him for the next couple months.
                  Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Re: Official 2011-2012 Minnesota State University, Mankato Maverick Hockey Thread

                    Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                    Everyone hates our jerseys...now that's why we're not in the NCHC!
                    Sorry, kinda late to this discussion but.....At least they aren't the shiny material anymore!

                    p.s. Don't tell anyone, but I think your white jerseys are kinda sharp looking Aside from that ugly cow on the front that is
                    "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

                    USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

                    Everything is Hill's fault.....

                    "Hakstol you hack!!!!"

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
                      Sorry, kinda late to this discussion but.....At least they aren't the shiny material anymore!

                      p.s. Don't tell anyone, but I think your white jerseys are kinda sharp looking Aside from that ugly cow on the front that is
                      I don't mind the shirts either. I was happy when they went to purple for the road. Black is not a school color. Now if they would just incorporate more gold.
                      the state of hockey is good

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Re: Official 2011-2012 Minnesota State University, Mankato Maverick Hockey Thread

                        Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                        I don't mind the shirts either. I was happy when they went to purple for the road. Black is not a school color. Now if they would just incorporate more gold.
                        And I don't understand why they don't. Purple and gold, if used the right way, can make some very, very sweet jerseys.

                        Gaede will probably return a little bit sooner than that with only a separated shoulder, but that's another loss of depth up front of a very talented guy.
                        AF 99

                        M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Re: Official 2011-2012 Minnesota State University, Mankato Maverick Hockey Thread

                          Well I think after MSU's sloppy play last night and Tech's win over the Badgers... looks like we might finally be able to lock up that #12 spot this year. Go Mavs! (I think it's suiting that the sad face on this site is purple)

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Re: Official 2011-2012 Minnesota State University, Mankato Maverick Hockey Thread

                            If anyone is interested... I used to live in Mankato but am down in Austin,TX now. In Cedar Park we have the Texas Stars AHL team, where Travis Morin currently plays. Went to the "Guys Night with the Stars" last year where they gave a behind the scenes tour and you can meet a few players. Unfortunately Travis Morin wasn't present, but Kael Mouillierat was suited up and on the ice. I think he was pretty surprised to see someone with a Mavs shirt there and we had a brief conversation about Mankato. Some pics here: http://***********.com/TXstars Kael was #28, unfortunately he's no longer with the Stars.

                            And a bit of news from last night's game: "Texas center Travis Morin reached his 100th career point with Texas to surpass the previous team record of 98 points set by Greg Rallo." They play the Oklahoma City Barons again on 10/15. They have some guy named Tyler Pitlick
                            Last edited by tunahead08; 10-15-2011, 04:12 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Re: Official 2011-2012 Minnesota State University, Mankato Maverick Hockey Thread

                              Well, certainly the weekend no one wanted but some expected. If we played this terrible against Lowell, I can't imagine the trainwreck known as Denver next weekend, especially with the Tech sweep.
                              Andy Sorensen, College Hockey Weekend Blogger/Host of "College Hockey Weekend Radio"

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Re: Official 2011-2012 Minnesota State University, Mankato Maverick Hockey Thread

                                Originally posted by College Hockey Weekend View Post
                                Well, certainly the weekend no one wanted but some expected. If we played this terrible against Lowell, I can't imagine the trainwreck known as Denver next weekend, especially with the Tech sweep.
                                That. Was. Atrocious.

                                I get that we had 4 guys out and one playing severely injured. That doesn't explain the lack of hustle, the lack of want and the lack of urgency. I hope these losses hit these guys pretty hard or it's going to be a ridiculously long year.
                                Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X