No announcement yet.

Official 2011-2012 Minnesota State University, Mankato Maverick Hockey Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Official 2011-2012 Minnesota State University, Mankato Maverick Hockey Thread

Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
    You are the one equating effort with money. I'm more wondering why a coach with an eleven year record like ours has is still behind the bench, and the answer that I see is that the university is simply non-committal about the program. I certainly could be wrong, but I've seen no evidence of concern.
    With two years left on his contract, the cost of buying him out alone is way more than the university could afford to spend. When Western Michigan wanted to show they were serious about their hockey program this summer with an eye towards the NCHC, that meant paying their head coach a little more than twice what Jutting makes, and paying both assistant coaches close to what Jutting makes. So yes, that commitment would have a price tag somewhere around $300k-$500k
    Originally posted by dicaslover
    Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
    Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Re: Official 2011-2012 Minnesota State University, Mankato Maverick Hockey Thread

I really think that this idea that the administration doesn't care is a lot of conjecture and of little substance. I have criticized Jutting more than my fair share, but the reality of his situation is that he's had really good (some might say lucky) timing. If you take a look at what he's done it makes sense as to why he's still here even though his record has been less than stellar.

He started here before the 2000 season. From there, he took us to the NCAAs in his third season (2002-2003). That was a very good team that got hot and won him the coach of the year. I think we can all agree that it made sense to sign him back. In June 2003 he signed a new 4- year contract. That takes us through 2007. Now, the administration has a decision to make. Sign him to a 2 year contract or go another direction. Jutting had a good recruiting class that came in 2006-2007 (the Harrison, Kalinski class). They could choose to allow Jutting to work with them for another 2 years or cut ties. It really does make sense that he gets the chance to work with that class past their freshmen year. So they sign him to a 2-year contract (the minimum allowable by MnSCU standards). He goes out and has the run with his recruiting class as juniors in 2007-2008, wins COY and has most of his big recruiting class coming back for their senior year. The next year does NOT go well, but, really, it's only one year removed from a pretty impressive run and a COY award. Again, it's decision time for the administration on Jutting. This time they are required by MnSCU rules to either let him go or sign him to a 4-year contract. I know this one was a tough one for the administration, but realistically, how do you get rid of a guy that just won a COY a year ago. So it's time to sign him for 4 years.

Now, we're 2 years into that contract and have had 3 bad, bad years. What do we do? Can MSU truly make the argument that they can eat just over $150K per year on a coach that isn't there (plus assistant coaches salaries) and sign a new high profile coach for $250K year and pay the assistants $150K per year. So, realistically you're adding just over a half million dollars of extra expense. Can this program really absorb that kind of a hit? Probably not with the fact that we're D2 in other sports, we have a bad lease with the arena and a historically weak region for hockey relative to the rest of the state.

I know it's not what we want to hear, but these are the facts. Analyze them how you will, but at least understand the reasons that go into the decisions. Also, realize the administration does care. They just have a lot of variables involved.
      Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

My negativity about the whole thing is probably a drag, so I'm going to drop it. My last statement will be to point out that winning COY for a 4th place finish just shows how low the expectations are for the program.
        My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

My negativity about the whole thing is probably a drag, so I'm going to drop it. My last statement will be to point out that winning COY for a 4th place finish just shows how low the expectations are for the program.
          very interesting point here...
          AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

You're right. That is point. Winning it for that is a pretty low bar to hit. I won't disagree with that. It should have been the next step, not the high point.

Trust me, I understand your negativity. I was there for a long time and still am to a degree. I just refuse to let the negative past affect my outlook on things. If I didn't, I would really hate my college hockey cheering life.

Comment

Originally posted by Bale View Post
              You're right. That is point. Winning it for that is a pretty low bar to hit. I won't disagree with that. It should have been the next step, not the high point.

Trust me, I understand your negativity. I was there for a long time and still am to a degree. I just refuse to let the negative past affect my outlook on things. If I didn't, I would really hate my college hockey cheering life.
              It's basically the same as being a Vikings fan. You never truly expect them to be awesome, do you?
              AF 99

Comment

Good luck this season guys

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                  Good luck this season guys
                  Thanks fine sir. Go Mavs!
                  AF 99

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                    It's basically the same as being a Vikings fan. You never truly expect them to be awesome, do you?
                    Ugh....gut punch. True, but painful

Comment

Originally posted by Bale View Post
                      Ugh....gut punch. True, but painful
                      trust me, it hurts, cause i'm as big a vikes fan as there is..
                      AF 99

Comment

It's gameday everyone! Love it! Enjoy it! Let's GO MAVERICKS!

Lines for tonight's game:http://rpiathletics.com/documents/20..._I.pdf?id=1073
                        (Courtesy of Ralph Baer)
                        AF 99

Comment

Just heard that freshman forward #8Max Gaede has a seperated shoulder. Could be a big loss for our offense as we couldn't generate much of anything anyways last night, and Gaede is a highly skilled young forward.
                          AF 99

Comment

Tyler Elbrecht out with a broken arm as well. That's a fairly big loss for an already inexperienced defensive corps.
                            AF 99

Comment

Will Corey Leivermann see the ice this weekend?

Mavs NEED two wins this weekend if they want to make any noise this year.

The Mavericks are among teams receiving votes in the polls this week, with two.

Puck drops at 7:37 friday for the Regular Season Opener!
                              AF 99

Comment

Tyler Elbrecht and Max Gaede are out this weekend, both still injured from last weekend.

It's so dead on this forum from a Maverick fan stand point.
                                AF 99

Comment

Working...
                                X