X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2011-12

Originally posted by ColSkate65 View Post
    Scuttlebutt I've read says Grosenick may go pro in addition to Welsh; this may or may not be true, who knows? In any case I would not conseed anything to any team for next season. It's way too early. (Besides I picked Yale to win the league this year

We should take some satisfaction in holding a 2-1 record against one of the Midwest Regional teams; the flip side is that we were 0-3 against an East Regional -- and FF -- entry.
    And 0-5 overall against FF teams....2-4 would have been a little bit better
    Hockeyenthusiast

Colgate Class of '03

-I saw Andy McDonald play at Starr Rink.

Comment

I can vouch for the fact that it's four scholarships per year and 16 total, two under the NCAA limit.

So when you have a 24-25 man roster, that's around 1/3 of the players (eight) paying their own way at Colgate which isn't cheap (nor are most of the other ECAC schools for that matter), even if it is with some financial aid.

Another phrase that Colgate contends with and some others in the league do not, "academic index" or AI.

Comment

• Originally posted by hockeyenthusiast View Post
        And 0-5 overall against FF teams....2-4 would have been a little bit better
        Good point. If we could have split with both Ferris and Union during the regular season maybe we would have gotten the at large instead of Cornell?

Comment

Hmmm..I stand corrected, I thought four a year also until recently. FWIW...the McNamara brothers packed their bags and left the team Saturday before the Cornell game.
          Last edited by sshablak; 03-26-2012, 06:55 AM.
          It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Shabby what does that mean with Kevin and Jack????
            The season opens in NEBRASKA!

Comment

I guess they quit the team because they weren't going to play against Cornell. This was told to me by someone who was talking to their parents in AC. All I know !
              It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

from the above posts (and thank you all) it now appears that perhaps our fall in the league's hierarchy and the advent of scholarships to Colgate was not a coincidental event. Four versus 4.5 scholarships doesn't sound like much, but it's potentially a distinct upgrade of two players per annual roster (and may account for some of our lack of quality in depth). Union did it right several years ago; the program received commitments from its President, the AD and its board to pursue a program with the goal of success and not mediocrity. Furthermore, their version of our Silver Puck Council was MUCH MORE proactive in expanding membership, raising additional funds, and becoming a very visible part of Union DI hockey. I say congrats to the Dutchmen and hope they go all the way. As I said in a recent post, we could learn a few things from the way they conduct business (and without one player on the roster being an NHL draft pick).

Comment

why not go to 4.5 scholarships??? I believe Mark Fulton was our first scholarship player. We also understand the benefits of the "full ride", but risks abound. And thinking of this over the past ten minutes it is no surprise that since Fulton arrived we have demonstrated an ability to attract top tier talent WITH A DISTINCT LACK OF DEPTH. Look at Union's lines and the quality players they have skating on their 2nd and 3rd lines. There's an optimal mix here, but we're not even in the game (16 vs. 18 is important). And remember, our program has been relatively lucky on the injury front over the past several seasons. You give out 2 scholarships in one year that do not pan out and you're in trouble. With the number of seniors leaving this year we could certainly use 5 grant-in-aid recipients next October. To repeat: Union did its homework, got the needed commitments and has gone from a bottom third program in the ECAC to a Final Four.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenCoat View Post
                    why not go to 4.5 scholarships??? I believe Mark Fulton was our first scholarship player. We also understand the benefits of the "full ride", but risks abound. And thinking of this over the past ten minutes it is no surprise that since Fulton arrived we have demonstrated an ability to attract top tier talent WITH A DISTINCT LACK OF DEPTH. Look at Union's lines and the quality players they have skating on their 2nd and 3rd lines. There's an optimal mix here, but we're not even in the game (16 vs. 18 is important). And remember, our program has been relatively lucky on the injury front over the past several seasons. You give out 2 scholarships in one year that do not pan out and you're in trouble. With the number of seniors leaving this year we could certainly use 5 grant-in-aid recipients next October. To repeat: Union did its homework, got the needed commitments and has gone from a bottom third program in the ECAC to a Final Four.
                    Ask the administration and BOT, since they put in the rule about 16 instead of 18. Also, I believe the class of '08 was the first scholarship class.

P.S. Shabby, might be time to get the off season thread going.
                    Hockeyenthusiast

Colgate Class of '03

-I saw Andy McDonald play at Starr Rink.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                      Next year Bill !!!
                      Here's to post #1000...and a memorable season.

There isn't a sport or a season when I don't think that isn't true, Shabby. There is something to be [proudly] said for having the highest graduation rate...even if it doesn't equate into winning seasons for our sports teams. However, the latter seems to be better for recruiting purposes

By the time the hockey seasons (M/W) are over, I am exhausted. It begins with football the first week of September...I live for weekends at Andy Kerr, and when they coincide with the beginning of hockey, it's a win-win...from Andy Kerr to Starr Rink, no better way to spend a day! The time, the energy, the driving (and driving, and driving, and driving), the hotels, the meals, the money...only to repeat the cycle all over again in September.

But for now, go MLax and...
                      Go 'Gate
                      C O L G A T E
                      2023 ECAC CHAMPION
                      1990 NCAA FINALS
                      https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
                      ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
                      ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

I thought the first scholarship player was Tyler Burton? He sure showed what scholarships could do for Colgate.

Yes, early to concede the season, but just stating that Union has to be the heavy favorite, which sometimes is a hard expectation to live up to.
                        C O L G A T E
                        2023 ECAC CHAMPION
                        1990 NCAA FINALS
                        https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
                        ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
                        ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

Working...
                        X