This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2011-12

Greencoat I agree and applaud your rant. The fan class of 2012 was abysmal. I would like to add a new admission policy. Sit each potential student down and hook them up to a heart monitor. Play them the 3rd period of this years home game vs Cornell. If their heart rate doesn't increase then you are officially rejected.
    The season opens in NEBRASKA!

Comment

GC, are you referring to the cheap shots we made at the end of the consy game vs. Cornell? Please elaborate.

Good luck to Scott Wiley but hope the Colgate women can finally be something more substantial. I love the fact that Colgate has a women's team. Comments by Roach did not sound too flattering...I think the writing was on the wall. Please, please get someone who can make a difference...and who wants to be at Colgate.
      Last edited by TchrBill; 03-21-2012, 07:01 PM.
      C O L G A T E
      2023 ECAC CHAMPION
      1990 NCAA FINALS
      https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
      ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
      ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

• Originally posted by TchrBill View Post
        Good luck to Scott Wiley but hope the Colgate women can finally be something more substantial. I love the fact that Colgate has a women's team. Comments by Roach did not sound too flattering...I think the writing was on the wall. Please, please get someone who can make a difference...and who wants to be at Colgate.
        Hopefully the next head coach they hire for the women's team has college playing experience. Wiley was a soccer player.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEh View Post
          Hopefully the next head coach they hire for the women's team has college playing experience. Wiley was a soccer player.
          FWIW, former RPI men's hockey coach, Mike Addesa, who won an NCAA championship in 1985, was a professional football palyer.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Dicky Coles sent Addessa a xmas card !!!
            It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

As we've seen, Cornell and Union have raised the bar pretty high for 'Gate next season. Here's hoping we can kick it up a notch. The frosh are a key component; hope they will be ready to put their shoulders to the task and provide some experience to add to the upper classmen. We don't want the ECAC to become a two or three-team league. We've gotta hold serve.
              COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Speaking of next year's frosh, the Cornwall Colts have advanced to the next playoff round. All four incoming 'Gate recruits have been good with Borkowski raising his game with 10 points in four games.

Comment

Originally posted by ColSkate65 View Post
                  As we've seen, Cornell and Union have raised the bar pretty high for 'Gate next season. Here's hoping we can kick it up a notch. The frosh are a key component; hope they will be ready to put their shoulders to the task and provide some experience to add to the upper classmen. We don't want the ECAC to become a two or three-team league. We've gotta hold serve.
                  Amazing what the Dutchmen have done with their program. They're a young team and all of their star players return for next season. May as well give them the Whitelaw now - they look unstoppable. Proud that the league has such a fine representative in the FF...but U is a school without scholarships, with the youngest DI program in our league (Qpac?), has an undesirable hockey rink, and yet is a team that has been and will be in the national spotlight for several years...while an established Colgate team falls short in every playoff. Have to believe it starts and ends with great goaltending, among other things.

We had our Cinderella run in 1990 but wonder where that has gotten us, really, as it becomes more of a distant memory and harder to cling to. Let's see where it gets Union. Maybe if hockey was our only DI sport like it is for them, things would be different. It seems opportunities like this come along once in a lifetime. Adonal Foyle, 2003 football...will be waiting a long time for that magic to return to Colgate.
                  Last edited by TchrBill; 03-25-2012, 06:43 AM.
                  C O L G A T E
                  2023 ECAC CHAMPION
                  1990 NCAA FINALS
                  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
                  ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
                  ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

Next year Bill !!!

Comment

Originally posted by TchrBill View Post
                      Amazing what the Dutchmen have done with their program. They're a young team and all of their star players return for next season. May as well give them the Whitelaw now - they look unstoppable. Proud that the league has such a fine representative in the FF...but U is a school without scholarships, with the youngest DI program in our league (Qpac?), has an undesirable hockey rink, and yet is a team that has been and will be in the national spotlight for several years...while an established Colgate team falls short in every playoff. Have to believe it starts and ends with great goaltending, among other things.

We had our Cinderella run in 1990 but wonder where that has gotten us, really, as it becomes more of a distant memory and harder to cling to. Let's see where it gets Union. Maybe if hockey was our only DI sport like it is for them, things would be different. It seems opportunities like this come along once in a lifetime. Adonal Foyle, 2003 football...will be waiting a long time for that magic to return to Colgate.
                      Union does not give athletic scholarships. Everything a player receives is based on financial aid which can be supported in any or all of three ways....1) Student Loans 2) Work Study 3) Parental contribution based on their need

Union does a fanastic job recruiting and finding the player that a lot of scholarship schools have passed on. In my opinion, financial aid is a benefit because if you make a mistake, it doesn't cost you, you just replace the player. With scholarships, you have to live with that mistake. Colgate only has 16 scholarships compared to 18 of other scholarship schools. Also, I don't believe they can recruit a player on financial aid. Therefore, with limited scholarships, Colgate is at a disadvantage recruiting wise right out of the 'Gate.....sorry I couldn't resist
                      I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

We've really got no excuse. These playoffs failures get more frustrating each year. On another note, I don't know if Union is the youngest. I think Harvard might be.

Good luck to the Dutchmen and hope they represent the ECAC well. About handing them the Whitelaw (think you meant Cleary) right away, watch out for the travel partner. They're young and will be very good.

Given our losses, a top half finish would be a start.
                        Hockeyenthusiast

Colgate Class of '03

-I saw Andy McDonald play at Starr Rink.

Comment

Agreed in that we shouldn't be conceding 2012-2013 trophies to Union yet. Although they are very deep, there is a good chance Jeremy Welsh, their best player, may turn pro early. And he was by far the best player on the ice for either team last night. Plus, success year to year is no given thing. See Yale '11-'12.

That said, it's good to see an ECAC team make the Frozen Four. Three wins for the league in the tourney so far, not bad.

Comment

We have 4.5 scholarships a year, so that's 18. And my understanding is that they can dole out half scholarships, any way they want.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                              We have 4.5 scholarships a year, so that's 18. And my understanding is that they can dole out half scholarships, any way they want.
                              Colgate gives 4 a year, meaning 16. School rules.
                              Hockeyenthusiast

Colgate Class of '03

-I saw Andy McDonald play at Starr Rink.

Comment

Originally posted by Marmot View Post
                                Agreed in that we shouldn't be conceding 2012-2013 trophies to Union yet. Although they are very deep, there is a good chance Jeremy Welsh, their best player, may turn pro early. And he was by far the best player on the ice for either team last night. Plus, success year to year is no given thing. See Yale '11-'12.

That said, it's good to see an ECAC team make the Frozen Four. Three wins for the league in the tourney so far, not bad.
                                Scuttlebutt I've read says Grosenick may go pro in addition to Welsh; this may or may not be true, who knows? In any case I would not conseed anything to any team for next season. It's way too early. (Besides I picked Yale to win the league this year

We should take some satisfaction in holding a 2-1 record against one of the Midwest Regional teams; the flip side is that we were 0-3 against an East Regional -- and FF -- entry.
                                COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Working...
                                X