• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2011-12

That Michigan loss still stings.

Comment

Originally posted by Marmot View Post
      I sure hope the frosh can come in as a cohesive unit because of this and hit the ground running. It'd be nice to have at least two legit scoring lines so the twins and another of the Colts (Borokowski? Baun?) will have to be ready to go right away.

The really interesting question is who will be the third on the Wilson-Wagner line??? Tremendous shoes to fill obviously.
      Lidgett or Bartliff would be logical.
      COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Originally posted by Marmot View Post
        The really interesting question is who will be the third on the Wilson-Wagner line??? Tremendous shoes to fill obviously.
        My guess would be that they start with Bourdon, who despite having a down year scoring wise, improved other facets of his game. If that doesn't work out, then someone else. I think, however, that they will keep the twins together and Wagner and Wilson should play together. In terms of secondary scoring, the Bartliff-Lidgett-Bourdon line showed a lot of potential and promise in Omaha, but Bartliff's injury against Miami and subsequent absence throughout the first half. Disappointing finish as three months ago today, I didn't think we would be done right now. Oh well. Can only thank the seniors and wish them luck and hope for better next year. The semifinals curse strikes again.

To Rainman, Mark Nasca did play yesterday on a line with Christian Long and Daniel Gentzler.
        Hockeyenthusiast

Colgate Class of '03

-I saw Andy McDonald play at Starr Rink.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyenthusiast View Post
          To Rainman, Mark Nasca did play yesterday on a line with Christian Long and Daniel Gentzler.
          That's good to hear. I thought I saw somewhere that he was a scratch. But I guess I was wrong.

As far as lines go for next season, I would put Bourdon with Wagner and Wilson. Wagner and Bourdon played together on a line (with Austin Mayer) late in the 2010-11 season (when we finally got our act together) and were actually producing. I'd also keep Bartliff and Lidgett together; something tells me that BOTH of them are due for breakouts next season and would give us a second scoring line. This was a lost season for Bartliff with his injury early on, and Lidgett was the youngest player on the team this year. But I see both of them improving.
          Colgate '09

Comment

Also, for those interested, this is what next year's league schedule looks like (home games in CAPS, Cornell games not included):

November 9 @Quinnipiac
            November 10 @Princeton
            November 16 DARTMOUTH
            November 17 HARVARD
            November 30 ST. LAWRENCE
            December 1 CLARKSON

January 18 @Rensselaer
            January 19 @Union
            January 25 BROWN
            January 26 YALE
            February 1 @Clarkson
            February 2 @St. Lawrence
            February 8 PRINCETON
            February 9 QUINNIPIAC
            February 15 @Harvard
            February 16 @Dartmouth
            February 22 UNION
            February 23 RENSSELAER
            March 1 @Yale
            March 2 @Brown

Other mumbo jumbo:
            -We do have a non-conference game @Merrimack. That is all I know regarding non-conference opponents next year.
            -The Cornell games will probably NOT be a home-and-home, based on the league's block scheduling. I'm guessing we'll have two Tuesday night games (1 in November, 1 in February) like we had in 2009-10

Other speculation:
            -Perhaps another game on Cape Cod with Army?
            -Perhaps another home-and-home with Niagara?
            -Maybe Ferris State comes to Starr for 2 games? (doubt it, they play 2 @Rensselaer next season)
            -We do owe Miami 2 games at their rink. Don't know if it'll be next year or in 2013-14 though.
            -Colorado College is still due to make a trip to Starr, in return for our trip out there in 2008-09. (doubtful again, as they are due to play 2 @Cornell next season)

I suspect we will receive a list of tentative OOC opponents around April 1, after the awards banquet takes place.
            Colgate '09

Comment

Can we please ****can the Cape Cod game with Army...

Comment

It's a no win situation !
                It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

From what I mentioned on the radio over the weekend...

*Two-game road set at Miami (Ohio) in October
                  *One CCHA team coming to Starr Rink for two games, not Ferris
                  *Return engagements with Merrimack (road) and Vermont (home)
                  *Cape Cod game is in the works but possibly a different opponent

Obviously that's just seven games and that leaves five open slots in terms of non-conference play. I believe there's at least one Atlantic Hockey team on the schedule and could be more - probably two, max three.

Ferris State should be coming in at some point to finish off the home-and-home series with Colgate, likely 2013-2014. Colorado College if I remember correctly was supposed to come to Colgate this year (or last year) and that obviously was changed. CC has had home-and-home's with RPI, Cornell and Clarkson recently.

Coach Vaughan earlier this year also mentioned that Colgate will be playing in Minnesota's holiday tournament (Mariucci Classic) a few years down the road, possibly 2013-2014.

Comment

Almost forgot...GR Thank you for the comments on DV over the weekend. I'm with you 100%.

A question...It was said that funding for the new rink has begun, WTH have they been doing so far ? How short are we, I've heard 5 million for the last year ?

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                      Almost forgot...GR Thank you for the comments on DV over the weekend. I'm with you 100%.

A question...It was said that funding for the new rink has begun, WTH have they been doing so far ? How short are we, I've heard 5 million for the last year ?
                      I don't know exact financial specifics of how much has been raised and/or how much money is still needed. But, I do know that fundraising functions are being held and the process is coming along. I'd imagine there will be some kind of update at the banquet.

There's no question Colgate needs a new hockey facility and overall the sooner the better. Unfortunately, the process of getting together the money just takes time and the economy, while improving, is what it is. Colgate doesn't have a Terry Pegula that's willing to drop a gigantic sum of money to build a new barn. That said, I think the season the team had (top-4 league finish, ranked most of the season, RS sweep of Cornell) and the Hobey Baker candidacy of Austin Smith certainly had the help the fundraisers.

Comment

would also like to thank GR for his wonderful work, both on the air, through his blog, etc. You have the ability to be an objective observer when necessary (most of the time) and a fan of our program. I especially enjoyed the opportunity to watch the video feed for the Q-Pac series while simultaneously listening to GR's call of the game. It's been a tough couple of years, let's face it...and it won't get easier...but this year did give us some visibility and as purely a fan, it's been a thrill to watch both Austin and Chris (I think both will have success at the next level). DV is a good coach and a great representative of Colgate and no one wanted to break the semi-final jinx more than our head hockey coach. I just hope he is getting the necessary support from our president and AD.

Comment

GR - I second Shabby's motion. I thought your speech on the "soapbox" was great. I hope some of our other posters heard your message. Despite the ups and downs of this season, I think we have to admit we had a heck of a better outcome than in '10-'11 (..excluding the Union and RPI playoff games of course).
                          COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

A back-handed slap to Colgate's class of 2012 for compiling a record of non-support and lack of loyalty to their classmates who busted their collective butts over a four-year period...I know there are exceptions, but overall they demonstrated a distinct predisposition towards selfish indulgence and abject cluelessness during their college years...my personal feeling about their overall support for the great student-athletes at our school is this: good riddance and I hope, at some point, you learn some lessons about life that were originally afforded you at a great university. Perhaps many years after you graduate you will understand what Colgate is all about and not, specifically, what it can do for you. Sadly, you reinforce my belief that this is a very narcissistic generation. Perhaps you may want to consider that you latest text or your most recent "ultimate frisbee" game pales in comparison to athletes who compete at the very highest level of NCAA competition.

Comment

Austin Smith reporting to the "Texas Stars" AHL ! Make us proud !

McPherson has signed an agreement with the "Albany Devils" !
                              Last edited by sshablak; 03-21-2012, 07:32 AM.

Comment

Austin Smith reporting to the "Texas Stars" AHL ! Make us proud !

McPherson has signed an agreement with the "Albany Devils" !
                                Good luck to both of them!
                                Hockeyenthusiast

Colgate Class of '03

-I saw Andy McDonald play at Starr Rink.

Comment

Working...
                                X