No announcement yet.

Buffalo Bulls varsity men's ice hockey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buffalo Bulls varsity men's ice hockey?

http://www.uscho.com/2011/09/26/buff...dding-to-ccha/

A revamped CCHA with Niagara, BGSU, Robert Morris, Mercyhurst, Canisius, and Buffalo? Would the AHA invite UAH if they drop to 8 teams? Would the CCHA want RIT and UAH to go to eight? Is Buffalo really considering this? Could Jacobs pull a Pegula? (Is he, a current NHL owner, even allowed to?)

Any more questions this raises?

Powers &8^]

Re: Buffalo Bulls varsity men's ice hockey?

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post

A revamped CCHA with Niagara, BGSU, Robert Morris, Mercyhurst, Canisius, and Buffalo? Would the AHA invite UAH if they drop to 8 teams? Would the CCHA want RIT and UAH to go to eight? Is Buffalo really considering this? Could Jacobs pull a Pegula? (Is he, a current NHL owner, even allowed to?)

Powers &8^]
    It's his money. He is allowed to do whatever he wants with it. If you're saying he wouldn't be allowed to because it might compete with the Sabers and take away their market I really doubt that. They are an NHL level team and people in the area will still prefer it. What it will offer though is a nice alternative to people who may not wan to spend the money on an NHL game and will help grow interest in hockey.

However I will believe it when I see it. For all we know Univ of Buffalo could pull a Moorehead and hold a press conference to say they are still waiting to make a decision. Hey if this happens it'll be great but let's wait and see. Until a huge pledge donation is made and something is announced we have to assume this will not happen.

The only bright side is people on those forums usually have sources in Athletic Departments/follow the right people on twitter so that we will get word of this first on here before anywhere else.

One possibility I could see is that the Univ of Buffalo could get an initial donation now announce they will start it up and than not start the program until 2 years from now so they can raise more money to offset costs.

Comment

Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
      One possibility I could see is that the Univ of Buffalo could get an initial donation now announce they will start it up and than not start the program until 2 years from now so they can raise more money to offset costs.
      Perhaps acknowledging they are thinking about D1 hockey is to gauge alumni/local interest. Putting it out there as kind of a fishing expedition to see if any big donors may be interested.

Comment

Powers &8^]
        I think it has already been written in another thread that RIT declined to attend the meetings between BGSU, UB, and the AHA-4. Sounds like the Tigers aren't interested.
        Can't we all just get along?
        Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
          It's his money. He is allowed to do whatever he wants with it. If you're saying he wouldn't be allowed to because it might compete with the Sabers and take away their market I really doubt that.
          I think he's referring to the same concerns some raised about whether Pegula and the Sabres could be allowed to support the Canisius arena due to NHL rules. I don't know what the rules are, but I get the impression it has something to do with a potential conflict of interest created by an NHL team having some financial stake in a theoretically independent developmental level team such as NCAA or Major Junior. I could be wrong, though.
          Can't we all just get along?
          Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
            I think he's referring to the same concerns some raised about whether Pegula and the Sabres could be allowed to support the Canisius arena due to NHL rules. I don't know what the rules are, but I get the impression it has something to do with a potential conflict of interest created by an NHL team having some financial stake in a theoretically independent developmental level team such as NCAA or Major Junior. I could be wrong, though.
            The owner of the Carolina Hurricane also owns Plymouth in the OHL so I don't think there is a problem there.

Comment

Powers &8^]
              The original article by Bruce Siskie reported Air Force and RIT were also invited. RIT wasn't interested, and Air Force was interested but couldn't send a representative in time. So potentially the CCHA could have Air Force as a 7th member (and potentially 8th if Air Force wants Army in too).

Comment

Originally posted by pdt1081 View Post
                Perhaps acknowledging they are thinking about D1 hockey is to gauge alumni/local interest. Putting it out there as kind of a fishing expedition to see if any big donors may be interested.
                I don't think you put this out there LOOKING for big donors.
                2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                2010 Frozen Four participant
                2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Well, as somebody who champions the growth of college hockey, I would like to see this happen. I've always thought Buffalo had the potential to be a very solid college hockey market.

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
                  I think it has already been written in another thread that RIT declined to attend the meetings between BGSU, UB, and the AHA-4. Sounds like the Tigers aren't interested.
                  I'm a bit curious: Why would RIT not consider a jump to another conference? A "CCHA" with BGSU, RMU, Niagara, Canisius, Bob Morris and Mercy would probably be pretty winnable for you guys.

Couple that with the maximum number of scholarships, pretty solid reciting territory, and a new rink, and I think RIT could grow to a mini powerhouse within that hypothetical conference.
                  Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
                  66 - 86 - 07
                  59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
                  59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
                    Couple that with the maximum number of scholarships, pretty solid reciting territory, and a new rink, and I think RIT could grow to a mini powerhouse within that hypothetical conference.
                    RIT's non-scholarship, and is already a mini powerhouse within the conference they're in. There's no compelling reason for them to bolt.
                    UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
                      I'm a bit curious: Why would RIT not consider a jump to another conference? A "CCHA" with BGSU, RMU, Niagara, Canisius, Bob Morris and Mercy would probably be pretty winnable for you guys.
                      My wild-a55 guess is that RIT is staying mum until 1) ND announces 2) if it is HEA, then until a 12th team is selected. If it is not RIT, then they could look elsewhere.

Note: You have Bobby Mo listed twice. So that is just five in the conference. RIT would make a nice #6. Army/AFA would work, so would Ferris state ... or UB.
                      GO PURPS!
                      Real Men wear PURPLE!

www.gwinnettgladiators.com

I am ... a New Yorker by birth, Southern by the Grace of God

Comment

If they can get an arena, I think anythings possible with a donor that can handle scholarship endowments.

But until the arena is settled, there's no more to talk about.
                        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by 5hole View Post
                          My wild-a55 guess is that RIT is staying mum until 1) ND announces 2) if it is HEA, then until a 12th team is selected. If it is not RIT, then they could look elsewhere.

Note: You have Bobby Mo listed twice. So that is just five in the conference. RIT would make a nice #6. Army/AFA would work, so would Ferris state ... or UB.
                          I don't think RIT is under consideration for HE at this time.

Comment

Speculation is that if ND goes to HE then RPI would be a possible addition as well, leaving an opening in the ECAC. RIT might be interested and a good fit for the ECAC under that scenario if interested.

Comment

Yeah, I did not state that well ... multitasking (poorly). I did mean RIT wants in to ECAC if an opening occurs there.
                              GO PURPS!
                              Real Men wear PURPLE!

www.gwinnettgladiators.com

I am ... a New Yorker by birth, Southern by the Grace of God

Comment

Working...
                              X