Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Official 2011-2012 Miami Season Thread: Short People Leave Big Shoes to Fill

Originally posted by fellowes View Post
    Apparently this got out of hand pretty quickly, what happened?
    pm me your email. lol

Comment

• Re: Official 2011-2012 Miami Season Thread: Short People Leave Big Shoes to Fill

Originally posted by MIamiGirl View Post
      Tonight was by far the creepiest night ever. Referee phone numbers are not meant to be messed with.
      The largest part of the blame should go to the ref for handing it out to girls he was hitting on. I didn't make any calls but I went to bed amused thinking about the ones he did get.

Comment

Originally posted by fellowes View Post
        Apparently this got out of hand pretty quickly, what happened?
        yeah MUnRPI will explain it to you

Comment

Ahhhh, that was too funny.

Comment

Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post

Ahhhh, that was too funny.
            This was the exact image I had in my mind when I said that, hah...

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
              Guess my son was the oddball then when he attended Miami as he even skipped going to the games to study, but again he was an Honors Student!
              That's what all the parents say! lol!
              Long live the "Brotherhood"!!!!!

Giving up a home run in Great American Ballpark is kind of like walking into a chocolate factory and yelling "I WANNA BE FAT!!!"

It's going to happen. Just give it time.....and a little effort.

Comment

Originally posted by MiamiRedhawks2008 View Post
                That's what all the parents say! lol!
                You can't deny that life is less challenging when you listen to your parents and take their advice. We didn't sacrifice and save to send our kids to Oxford just to attend hockey and party. You have to get good grades and graduate so the university can solicite donations from you for the rest of your life. LOL!

Comment

You can't deny that life is less challenging when you listen to your parents and take their advice. We didn't sacrifice and save to send our kids to Oxford just to attend hockey and party. You have to get good grades and graduate so the university can solicite donations from you for the rest of your life. LOL!
                  Ah but I'd argue it's the hockey games and parties that make you love Miami enough to give back! I actually worked for a couple years as a "TeleHawk," calling alumni, parents, and even current students to beg for money. I just got a call from them last week and coughed up a very small donation despite my current status as a poor grad student. I'm the easiest call they ever have to make.
                  Love and honor to Miami forever and a day. Go RedHawks!

Comment

Originally posted by RedhawkBandMan View Post
                    Ah but I'd argue it's the hockey games and parties that make you love Miami enough to give back! I actually worked for a couple years as a "TeleHawk," calling alumni, parents, and even current students to beg for money. I just got a call from them last week and coughed up a very small donation despite my current status as a poor grad student. I'm the easiest call they ever have to make.
                    Good for you! After all it's for "Love and Honor". I'm still on the call list for the telehawks it seems and have had some brief but interesting discussion with them. I was told that apparently there is still some bitterness among the older alumni that they call to solicite from and they say they'll donate when the university changes back to being Redskins.

Comment

Good for you! After all it's for "Love and Honor". I'm still on the call list for the telehawks it seems and have had some brief but interesting discussion with them. I was told that apparently there is still some bitterness among the older alumni that they call to solicite from and they say they'll donate when the university changes back to being Redskins.
                      It's truly unbelievable how many alumni bring that up. When someone refuses to give, they want you to select the reason from a drop-down list. The mascot issue comes up enough that it was added to that drop-down list. Anyone who is honestly so upset about the change from Redskins to RedHawks that they refuse to support Miami needs to reassess their values. Miami is so much more than a mascot (or any one person or team or organization) and I have nothing but pity for someone who can't see that. However, I'm fairly certain that most of the alumni who claim that the mascot change is their reason for not donating are merely using it as an excuse... outside of a very limited number of cases, the alumni who brought it up had never supported Miami financially in the past and probably wouldn't have started under any circumstances.

What was remarkable to me, though, were the parents (like you) who were receptive to calls from us even though they had not attended Miami and their children had long since graduated. I found it hard to imagine feeling any emotional tie that would motivate a parent in those circumstances to continue donating to Miami. Yet my parents, and particularly my mother (an Ohio State alumna, btw), continued to feel that connection after I graduated. It helps that my little brother is there now, but I have no doubt that they will be supporters of Miami well beyond his time there.

Comment

A friends son started attending Miami several years ago but the family had gone through several years of severe financial difficulty and were lucky to have kept their house but the son was an exceptional student all through high school plus hard working & honest, the exact type of person who would do the school proud. I believe he attended on grants, scholarships & student loans. The parents were scrambling to try and come up with money for the laptop he would need and the school informed him that through a program they had there they awarded him a laptop AND printer. His parents called and profusely thanked the people at Miami for this gift. This is just one example of what your donations do for your Miami brethern so remember how many you can potentially help with your donations. Sorry to get off the hockey topic but it was important to say this.
                        Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 12-11-2011, 11:40 PM.

Comment

A friends son started attending Miami several years ago but the family had gone through several years of severe financial difficulty and were lucky to have kept their house but the son was an exceptioal student all through high school plus hard working & honest, the exact type of person who would do the school proud. I believe he attended on grants, scholarships & student loans. The parents were scrambling to try and come up with money for the laptop he would need and the school informed him that through a program they had there they awarded him a laptop AND printer. His parents called and profusely thanked the people at Miami for this gift. This is just one example of what your donations do for your Miami brethern so remember how many you can potentially help with your donations. Sorry to get off the hockey topic but it was important to say this.
                          You're right, this is a great example of what donations can help do for someone. The mascot should not determine whether you donate or not. I know my parents and I would have appreciated it if Miami had been able to give me some money. I grew up in Columbus and have wanted to go to Miami since 7th grade - OSU gave me a huge scholarship and Miami gave me nothing. It would be nice if they had more funds to be able to help kids out the way other schools are often able to.

Comment

And the long wait beigns...come back from Christmas with 2 big series up in the Sault and East Lansing, then finish with 9/12 at Goggin.

I know this has been thrown around, but 0-5-0 when tied with 4 minutes left in regulation this season. Ouch.

19th in the PWR after this weekend, not out of it by any means.

Let this be the year of no swoon.

Comment

Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post
                              And the long wait beigns...come back from Christmas with 2 big series up in the Sault and East Lansing, then finish with 9/12 at Goggin.

I know this has been thrown around, but 0-5-0 when tied with 4 minutes left in regulation this season. Ouch.

19th in the PWR after this weekend, not out of it by any means.

Let this be the year of no swoon.
                              No mid-year swoon. Don't forget the one-month swoon called October

Comment

Pardon my ignorance, but any idea what Miami's plans are once Big 10 hockey starts? Will the CCHA stick around? I assume they would look to add teams, but wouldn't the WCHA have to do the same thing losing Minn and Wisc? Maybe look East? How about join the the Big 10 in just hockey?

Comment

Working...
                                X