Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Official 2011-2012 Miami Season Thread: Short People Leave Big Shoes to Fill

doing my undergrad at Northern Michigan, tonight will be my first Redhawks experience. Looking forward to seeing if the atmosphere lives up to the hype. This Lake State team will be tough btw.
    NMU '10

Comment

• Re: Official 2011-2012 Miami Season Thread: Short People Leave Big Shoes to Fill

Originally posted by sisu458 View Post
      doing my undergrad at Northern Michigan, tonight will be my first Redhawks experience. Looking forward to seeing if the atmosphere lives up to the hype. This Lake State team will be tough btw.
      We aren't taking any teams for granted given how we are playing so far this season.

Hope you enjoy the Goggin! Thursday games are out of the norm for us so hopefully everyone shows (looking at you season ticket holders). There are a couple students on here that have been at the arena all morning who can probably chime in on how the line is shaping up.

Comment

I need a stiff drink.

Comment

Overall I think we looked better but there are far too many mistakes still happening. It's nice to see them taking shots and winning the SOG column, but Kapalka was solid all night and didn't seem to give up many good rebounds. The penalties were obviously the killer again. There just seems to be so much miscommunication on the ice... so many off-sides calls! And the inability to clear the zone during a penalty kill again gives the game away.

It's a long season, but if we dig this hole much deeper it's going to be very difficult to climb back out.
          Love and honor to Miami forever and a day. Go RedHawks!

Comment

Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post
            We aren't taking any teams for granted given how we are playing so far this season.

Hope you enjoy the Goggin! Thursday games are out of the norm for us so hopefully everyone shows (looking at you season ticket holders). There are a couple students on here that have been at the arena all morning who can probably chime in on how the line is shaping up.
            There was no energy from anyone today. Smith was skating hard but he tried to do it all himself.

Comment

Originally posted by RedhawkBandMan View Post
              Overall I think we looked better but there are far too many mistakes still happening. It's nice to see them taking shots and winning the SOG column, but Kapalka was solid all night and didn't seem to give up many good rebounds. The penalties were obviously the killer again. There just seems to be so much miscommunication on the ice... so many off-sides calls! And the inability to clear the zone during a penalty kill again gives the game away.

It's a long season, but if we dig this hole much deeper it's going to be very difficult to climb back out.
              LSSU never messed around with the puck in their defensive zone while down a man. I'd trade shorthanded opportunities for just launching the puck everyday.

Comment

I don't even know what to say anymore about this team. We couldn't buy a win at this point.

Our power play was shockingly ineffective the entire night. And although we didn't take as many penalties tonight as we have the last few weekends, our penalty kill was awful. They scored the last two goals the same exact way, every time we left some guy alone in the slot and he had an open shot at goal.

Call me a fair-weather fan, but I think I'll be watching games on TV until we get our **** together, at a certain point I'm just wasting my own time waiting hours in line to see this team.

Maybe that was harsh... I need a drink.

/rantover

Comment

Originally posted by MUnRPI View Post
                  LSSU never messed around with the puck in their defensive zone while down a man. I'd trade shorthanded opportunities for just launching the puck everyday.
                  Agreed. And speaking of opportunities, maybe this is just me, but it seems like every time Miami has a 2-on-1 rush, the guy carrying the puck ALWAYS takes the shot with the goalie squared on him rather than passing and forcing the goalie into motion. Maybe they just haven't had a clean passing lane in any of those cases but I feel like I've seen the same situation play out exactly the same way four or five times this season... exciting 2-on-1 rush following by a clean shot directly into the chest of the goaltender.

Comment

Originally posted by fellowes View Post
                    I don't even know what to say anymore about this team. We couldn't buy a win at this point.

Our power play was shockingly ineffective the entire night. And although we didn't take as many penalties tonight as we have the last few weekends, our penalty kill was awful. They scored the last two goals the same exact way, every time we left some guy alone in the slot and he had an open shot at goal.

Call me a fair-weather fan, but I think I'll be watching games on TV until we get our **** together, at a certain point I'm just wasting my own time waiting hours in line to see this team.

/rantover
                    I said that the penalties were the killer, but I believe they were close to even tonight and, like you said, the PP was awful. Not only did we come in off-sides repeatedly during power play situations, but we rarely had any sustained pressure. Usually one shot before turning it over and LSSU clearing the zone.

Comment

Originally posted by fellowes View Post

/rantover
                      Haha I just had that conversation on the phone, but I can't give up yet. I'll be making the drive over from Indy after work tomorrow.

We did look "better" tonight, but inopportune penalties, poor special teams (both ways), questionable defensive play, nothing new there, it was all just to a slightly lesser degree, which I guess is encouraging.

Our PP has become so one dimensional...work the puck to Smith in the high slot? Every time? What is the definition of insanity?

Not ready to throw in the towel on the season before Halloween, but these guys better start growing up fast, because if we need to win every game 2-1 this season is over.

Bright spot on the night - Biggs seems to be shooting up the learning curve quite quickly, I can't wait to see where he is at in a few months.

Comment

Originally posted by RedhawkBandMan View Post
                        Agreed. And speaking of opportunities, maybe this is just me, but it seems like every time Miami has a 2-on-1 rush, the guy carrying the puck ALWAYS takes the shot with the goalie squared on him rather than passing and forcing the goalie into motion. Maybe they just haven't had a clean passing lane in any of those cases but I feel like I've seen the same situation play out exactly the same way four or five times this season... exciting 2-on-1 rush following by a clean shot directly into the chest of the goaltender.
                        First goal of the season was a on 2-on-1 pass I believe, but you're right, there has been very little puck movement on our rushes. Chemistry issue? Blah.
                        Last edited by MUhawks628; 10-28-2011, 07:21 AM.

Comment

At least I'll be on OxVegas tomorrow night so if they lose again I can give our center ice sponsor some (ok a lot) of my money.

Comment

seeing Miami for the first time in person, it was interesting to watch a team that was by almost all accounts bigger, faster, and more talented than the opposition. Soo Tech deserves credit for sticking to their game plan of slowing the game down and getting traffic around the net. Miami bumbled on key opportunities (they had many), and I think that really is the difference. Once this team gets comfortable with their system, and finds leaders, they will be tough to beat. Interesting to hear people bailing already. Trust me, most CCHA fans would KILL to have this team.
                            NMU '10

Comment

seeing Miami for the first time in person, it was interesting to watch a team that was by almost all accounts bigger, faster, and more talented than the opposition. Soo Tech deserves credit for sticking to their game plan of slowing the game down and getting traffic around the net. Miami bumbled on key opportunities (they had many), and I think that really is the difference. Once this team gets comfortable with their system, and finds leaders, they will be tough to beat. Interesting to hear people bailing already. Trust me, most CCHA fans would KILL to have this team.
                              I think we can all take post-game exasperation for what it's worth, everyone needs to vent once and ahwile, trust me, no one is adondoing this team, we're all on here because we have an unhealty obsession and love for Miami hockey.

But just to clarify what I meant by my "bailing" comment. For many Miami fans, going to a game is not as simple as walking up 5 minutes before with a ticket in hand. It usually requires a significant ammount of time waiting in a line, either as a student to get in, or to buy a standing room only seat which go on sale an hour before the game. Living two hours away I was simply saying at some point I'm going to be less inclinded to blow $40 on gas, 4 hours in a car, 7 hours waiting in the student line, sleeping on a dorm room floor and $20 bucks on food every weekeend and will chose to watch the games online.

That being said, I am getting in my car after work today, and speeding over to Oxford happy as can be to be heading to a hockey game, win or lose.
                              Last edited by MUhawks628; 10-28-2011, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Nice post. I hope you are correct. MU did have a lot of opportunities, but the special teams situation is troubling at the moment. Probably three game outcomes changed if MU is just average on special teams. Yikes! Also, getting the zone on the pp? Gosh we were spoiled by the way MU teams the last few years could do that. This team dumps it a lot on the pp. And so many things that add up, weak pp, weak pk, missed opportunites, no big save, etc. Big difference in grade A scoring chances and Miami still finds a way to lose. Sigh. I liked the effort and intensity the first two periods and I hate to see them not rewarded for it. As stated, nice job by Lake sticking to it.

Having said all that, we will not have any fair weather fans (that means you fellowes ). They need you now more than ever, so I don't want to hear anything about bailing, now or ever, no matter what.

Comment

Working...
                                X