Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Official 2011-2012 Miami Season Thread: Short People Leave Big Shoes to Fill

Originally posted by RedhawkBandMan View Post
    Don't you go stealin' my thunder!

If you youngins would get your posting rate up a bit we could get this thread maxed out and start Part II...
    I've been posting way too much lately lol. So I'm just trying to figure out if I'm missing sarcasm here.

And if we let the post OSU stuff go what do we have to talk about? Because it's completely pointless to try to figure this team out right now

Comment

• Re: Official 2011-2012 Miami Season Thread: Short People Leave Big Shoes to Fill

Originally posted by MUnRPI View Post
      I've been posting way too much lately lol. So I'm just trying to figure out if I'm missing sarcasm here.

And if we let the post OSU stuff go what do we have to talk about? Because it's completely pointless to try to figure this team out right now
      I'm pretty sure it was heavy on the sarcasm lol, but I'll be disappointed if we don't hit 3 threads this year!

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this team, but it really is impossible to figure out what is going on with this defense at times. I know LoVerde might have been on of the most under appreciated players Miami has seen, but ****, with the group we still have, there have been some head-scratchers late in games.

The torpedo was playing forward on Saturday, maybe that was the problem
      Last edited by MUhawks628; 12-14-2011, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post

The Torpedo is a major liability. Diving head first to block shots can only work for so long....

Comment

The Torpedo is a major liability. Diving head first to block shots can only work for so long....
          It would actually seem that Torpedo has lost his spot to Paulides.

Comment

Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post
            It would actually seem that Torpedo has lost his spot to Paulides.
            That's why he's a forward now. So he can dive head first into walls and distract everyone.

Comment

• Originally posted by MUnRPI View Post
              Capital's Mike Green got his jaw broken in the playoffs doing that.
              Long live the "Brotherhood"!!!!!

Giving up a home run in Great American Ballpark is kind of like walking into a chocolate factory and yelling "I WANNA BE FAT!!!"

It's going to happen. Just give it time.....and a little effort.

Comment

• Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post
                I'm pretty sure it was heavy on the sarcasm lol, but I'll be disappointed if we don't hit 3 threads this year!

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this team, but it really is impossible to figure out what is going on with this defense at times. I know LoVerde might have been on of the most under appreciated players Miami has seen, but ****, with the group we still have, there have been some head-scratchers late in games.

Is this, statistically, the worst team defense of the last decade? Its just mygut, but I don't want to do the research...lol!
                Long live the "Brotherhood"!!!!!

Giving up a home run in Great American Ballpark is kind of like walking into a chocolate factory and yelling "I WANNA BE FAT!!!"

It's going to happen. Just give it time.....and a little effort.

Comment

Originally posted by MiamiRedhawks2008 View Post
                  Is this, statistically, the worst team defense of the last decade? Its just mygut, but I don't want to do the research...lol!
                  Yeah...far too late in the evening for that kind of work. I'd doubt it. They aren't giving up an obscene number of goals, just keep giving up bad goals late in games.

Edit: I take it back, 54 GA at Christmas is a lot.
                  Last edited by MUhawks628; 12-14-2011, 10:29 PM.

Comment

As of Chris Wideman's tweet this morning there is another Wideman headed to Miami next year.....except she plays field hockey. That's a lot of Widemans.

Comment

Originally posted by MIamiGirl View Post
                      As of Chris Wideman's tweet this morning there is another Wideman headed to Miami next year.....except she plays field hockey. That's a lot of Widemans.
                      Speaking of Widemans, it just occurred to me that we haven't seen the younger one dressed in a while. I can only assume he is injured if Kennedy was playing as a forward.

Comment

Originally posted by fellowes View Post
                        Speaking of Widemans, it just occurred to me that we haven't seen the younger one dressed in a while. I can only assume he is injured if Kennedy was playing as a forward.
                        He actually played Friday against OSU, then Kennedy was in Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by MiamiRedhawks2008 View Post
                          The first year for Jones, Davis & Co. was rougher

Year Goals Shots (Yeah, I know, useless stat)
                          2011-2011 2.7 25.9
                          2010-2011 2.18 23.1
                          2009-2010 1.95 24.8
                          2008-2009 2.17 23.4
                          2007-2008 1.86 25.7
                          2006-2007 2.55 27.4
                          2005-2006 2.03 27.9
                          2004-2005 2.74 30.5

Comment

These were from before OSU (National Ranks)

PIM
                            2011-2012 - 4th
                            2010-2011 - 12th
                            2009-2010 - 2nd
                            2008-2009 - 19th

PK
                            2011-2012 - 29th (82%)
                            2010-2011 - 2nd (88.3%)
                            2009-2010 - 7th (86%)
                            2008-2009 - 2nd (89%)

Comment

I've always wondered this...

If a math wiz were to formulate a sabermetric-like approach for hockey, which obscure statistics would be most important in predicting the success of a player and/or team? In baseball, On-base %, base runs, and the all important "Player empirical comparison and optimization test algorithm" are used by some clubs to form their team. Now I know that hockey is not a sport that focuses on statistics as much as baseball, but I think that it is interesting to think about.

Comment

I've always wondered this...

If a math wiz were to formulate a sabermetric-like approach for hockey, which obscure statistics would be most important in predicting the success of a player and/or team? In baseball, On-base %, base runs, and the all important "Player empirical comparison and optimization test algorithm" are used by some clubs to form their team. Now I know that hockey is not a sport that focuses on statistics as much as baseball, but I think that it is interesting to think about.
                                I'd talk to these guys

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...tistics-Models

Hockey is probably too team oriented to rely that heavily on statistics. +/- can say a lot about a player, or it could be totally misleading. Not all SOG are equal, ect.
                                Last edited by MUhawks628; 12-15-2011, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X