2011-2012 NCAA Preseason Rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2011-2012 NCAA Preseason Rankings

Anyone else find it funny that Duluth had 10 first place votes in the national poll, third most of any team and right behind Miami and Notre Dame's 12 and 11, but gone none in the WCHA poll? Does this mean it was a bunch of Easterners who voted for them?

Dare I say... Western Bias? Or is that Eastern Bias of a Western team?
    tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
      Anyone else find it funny that Duluth had 10 first place votes in the national poll, third most of any team and right behind Miami and Notre Dame's 12 and 11, but gone none in the WCHA poll? Does this mean it was a bunch of Easterners who voted for them?

Dare I say... Western Bias? Or is that Eastern Bias of a Western team?
      Well, I don't believe the coaches vote in the USCHO poll (I could be wrong), but there are a number of people who feel the first poll should reflect last year's results. I don't agree with that philosophy, but I feel that 8th is about right for Duluth overall.
      North Dakota
      National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

In

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
        After giving some thought to the upcoming season, I came up with these teams as the top 10 teams in the country to start the season. Also, I am putting together a fairly simple college hockey website to supplement the websites that we all know and love. The purpose of the site is not to compete with the "big boys", but rather to give extra reading material to people who love the sport. Part of the website will have our own rankings, and I would like to have a group of 10-12 that votes on this on a weekly basis. If you would be interested in being part of that panel of voters, please respond here, and I will comprise the list. The rankings will be released on the website each Monday, so it will require you to have your rankings done by Monday morning. Anyway, here are my preseason rankings for the upcoming season. Please feel free to post your own rankings, and enjoy!

1. Notre Dame - The Fighting Irish have nearly everyone back from a very successful run to the Frozen Four last season. If they can play to their potential and shrug off any potential conference affiliation distractions, Notre Dame should be one of the top seeds in the NCAA Tournament, and is my pre-season favorite to win it all.

2. Denver - While the Pioneers lost freshmen phenom Sam Brittain over the offseason, Denver should have plenty of firepower on the offensive side to make up for the loss. Another loaded freshman class, combined with seasoned scoring should make the Pioneers a favorite in the WCHA.

3. Miami - The Redhawks are a team with a chip on their shoulder. They have been arguably the best (or at least most consistent) program over the past five seasons, and that should not change this season. Miami figures to be in the running for their first ever National Championship this coming April in Tampa.

4. Colorado College - Nobody thought CC would pound Boston College last season in the NCAA Tournament, but the Tigers will not fly under the radar this season. Led by Hobey Candidate Jaden Schwartz, CC will look to outscore their opponents this season. If Joe Howe can put up a solid season in nets for CC, expect the Tigers to play deep into the post season.

5. Boston University - Last season was not what Jack Parker was hoping for, but this year he has another squad capable of winning it all. The Terriers have depth in scoring, a solid blue line and goaltending, and should be the top team out east.

6. Yale - I did not think that Yale was as good as they were last season, but I was proved wrong as the Bulldogs continued to win games. While they made a disappointing exit against the eventual National Champions, Yale had a great run last year. They should be the class of the ECAC once again, and don't be surprised if the Bulldogs are able to make a run to the Frozen Four this season.

7. Minnesota Duluth - These bulldogs lost quite a bit from last year's National Champions. Given that, Duluth should be rock solid once again as Jack Connolly and JT Brown come back for another campaign. Scott Sandelin will have the Bulldogs ready for another run in the WCHA, and will be chomping at the bit to defend their national title.

8. Michigan - The runner-up from last season, Michigan looks to take home the hardware. Led by Shawn Hunwick, Michigan will need to replace plenty from last season's squad, but if Hunwick can play anything like he did in the NCAA Tournament last season, the Wolverines will be in position to give Red Berenson his third National Title.

9. Boston College - The Eagles were shocked last year in the NCAA Tournament, but reload for another shot at glory. No team has been better over the past decade than BC, and if Jerry York can manage the incoming talent BC will be a team to be reckoned with.

10. Nebraska Omaha - The Mavericks surprised many by coming into the WCHA and nearly winning the league title. While they ran into buzzsaw's in Bemidji and Michigan to end their season, Dean Blais has molded this team into a winner. If UNO can escape injuries to key players, they should be able to make another trip to the NCAA Tournament, and this time win a game.

Honorable Mention:
        Union
        Western Michigan
        North Dakota
        “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
        Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
        Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
        National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

1. BC
          2. Miami
          3. Michigan
          4. Notre Dame
          5. Colorado College
          6. Minnesota- Duluth
          7. Yale
          8.Denver
          9. Union