2011-2012 NCAA Preseason Rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1 bu
    2 miami (lost good deal of scoring but experienced D will keep them in early until freshmen gel)
    3 bc
    4 notre dame
    5 cc
    6 denver
    7 nodak
    8 wmu
    9 uno
    10 michigan

Comment

Re: 2011-2012 NCAA Preseason Rankings

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
      Kinkaid turned pro.

I think that moves them back to #26.
      Figured I'd miss somebody, but coulda sworn I read he was coming back. Ok, move them down to ten and everybody else up one.
      tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
        Sorry jdr1, but that's a bit too biased...I like it though

So far, here are those who I have as voters for the preaseason poll:
        Fighting Sioux 23 (west)
        manurespreader (west)
        fishcore12 (east)
        OnionMan (east)
        alnike (west)

If I have your region incorrect (i.e. east/west) please let me know. With that being said, I would really like to get 3 more westerners and 4 more easterners for a total of 12. For the purposes of determining region, if you are predominately a fan of a team in the CCHA or WCHA, then you are from the west. If you are a fan of a team in the ECAC, Hockey East or Atlantic Hockey, then you are from the east.

Also, don't feel as though you are committed to being a voter for the entire year. I've pretty much scrapped that idea in favor of a "vote when you can" approach. I fully anticipate that the voters will differ somewhat from week to week, but I would like to keep a consistent east/west split if at all possible.
        Im only voting if I can get a sweet varsity jacket that says official rankings voter. Im usually good for a sunday morning hungover voting post.
        Loyality means sticking with a thing in good and bad times. Not willing to do that, stay home, I got this.

Comment

The Gophers are too high.

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
            3. BU - Did they seriously lose one F, one D and a 3rd string goalie?!?
            They also went basically .500 after Thanksgiving. BU could be very good this year, but most sensible BU fans are in a "Wait-and-see" mode.

Comment

Originally posted by mcfarljd View Post
              1 bu
              3 bc
              No way. At least not right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Gentry View Post
                They also went basically .500 after Thanksgiving. BU could be very good this year, but most sensible BU fans are in a "Wait-and-see" mode.
                I agree with this. On paper, they should contend for a national title, but they have to prove that they can play at that kind of level. I ranked them 5th, and the top team out of Hockey East, but we should know a whole lot more about BU in 6-8 weeks.

Also, I only have 2 "easterners" voting for the preseason poll so far. It would be greatly appreciated if fans of a team from the ECAC, Hockey East or Atlantic Hockey would put up their top 10.
                North Dakota
                National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Another great topic from FS23.

Not going to rank them because frankly I don't feel completely comfortable with ranking the Western teams as I just don't watch them close enough.

A few thoughts... Stick to the obvious when ranking these teams. The ECAC stinks, so I cross them off the list quickly. What wins games? Goalies and coaches. If you have both, you're in great shape. If you don't, forget it.

No real juggernauts this year IMO like we saw with BC and UND last year (and it didn't work out for either of them... WHAMMY!)

- BU is being overrated by a lot of folks early this year including a lot of media outlets. Maybe more talent on paper than anyone in HE but they need a whole lot of gelling to get it done.
                  - UNH underrated yet again. NEVER underrate these guys (unless you're going to be ranking teams in March).
                  - BC an interesting team. Some have they very high, which they could be by the end. Others have them floating on the fringe of top 10 or just inside top 10. Goaltending question marks but not a total question mark. Could have two very good goalies by the time the puck drops. Gaudreau could have tipped this freshman class into a great class and he may change the course of BC's season if he does well. Watch their bottom 3 D though. That's the worry. Could be the best team in the league by the 2nd half of the season if not right at the start. Won't win the RS title, though.
                  - Maine. Like I said, no goaltending + no coaching = no chance. Always a team that could beat someone on any given night with what they have on offense but... it is what it is in Orono.
                  - Merrimack. Never underestimate the power of the 23 year old freshmen that Merrimack recruits in droves (or something like that). Cannata is best goalie in the league by far IMO. I think Dacosta was great and really put them into a higher gear but they have a good thing going with all these overaged players and the system. Keep an eye on them. Not an elite team but will be in the hunt for home ice all season long (probably a UNH vs. MC 4x5 matchup in the HE QFs, where will they play?).

On to Western teams:
                  - Miami - blah. UNH of the West. Very good team, put them up there high in the rankings, and then when March or April rolls around watch Captain Blasi take the wheel of the failboat.
                  - North Dakota - another team that is always good and don't bet against them to get things figured out.
                  - Notre Dame - Coaching, good experience with the FF last year. Tough team. Like them a lot in the CCHA.
                  - Colorado College - Howe to me is the real deal. I felt confident that was the case going into last year's NCAAs after watching him in some of the televised games I had a chance to see. He was awesome vs. BC. Jaden Schwartz has some great numbers while missing a chunk of the season. A full season of Schwartz could be frightening for the opposition.
                  - UNO - Potential. And they have Blais. Keep an eye on them.
                  - Denver - Not sure what to think to be honest. Their fans are as collar up as it gets West of the Mississippi. Always a good team, though. Will they be great?

It's tough to break through the same old programs.
                  Last edited by Nick Papagiorgio; 09-26-2011, 11:12 AM.
                  Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                  The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                    - Denver - Not sure what to think to be honest. Their fans are as collar up as it gets West of the Mississippi. Always a good team, though. Will they be great?
                    Nice.

Originally posted by vizoroo
                    Thought you had picked the avatar so we could id you. Guess he fooled me too.
                    Originally posted by duper
                    I obviously missed it, but it sounds like some idiot from CC took trolling to a whole new, totally inappropriate level.

I was well over the borderline. I figured I would meet you on your turf.
                    Every time you post like an *******, I want to quote the idiotic comment you made where you claim not to be a troll. You're such a dick.
                    Originally posted by dggoddard
                    Finally you made me laugh.

There may be hope for you yet.

Comment

Originally posted by bbutzin View Post
                      I like it. Hope your effort succeeds.

I am not sure I can believe only two Hockey East teams are in the top 10 (or 13). I know, when you look at any of them individually, it's tough to put them up there. But there will be a third emerge for sure, I think. Maybe not New Hampshire, too many changes. But Merrimack, I think, will still be a top 10-13 team. They lost their best player to the NHL, but they kept their goaltender, and an experienced, solid goaltender is worth everything. I'd at least give them an honorable mention.

Maine is due to break out too. They've got enough offensive firepower left, they're due, if they can settle down. Make them my #14 (or am I on 15?).
                      Mack is not deep but extremely talented.
                      Look for them to now be a permanent fixture in the league's top 6.
                      They recruit very well.

Comment

1. Denver
                        2. Boston
                        3. Colorado College
                        4. Boston College
                        5. Michigan
                        6. Notre Dame
                        7. North Dakota
                        8. Nebraska-Omaha
                        9. Miami
                        10. Minnesota-Duluth
                        ---
                        National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
                        Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                        19 Conference Championships
                        10 Conference Tournament Championships
                        2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

FWIW, here is USCHO's preseason rankings:

1. Notre Dame (11)
                          2. Miami (12)
                          3. North Dakota (5)
                          4. Denver
                          5. Boston College (2)
                          6. Michigan
                          7. Colorado College
                          8. Minnesota Duluth (10)
                          9. Yale (1)
                          10. Boston University (2)
                          11. Union
                          12. New Hampshire
                          13. Western Michigan
                          14. Nebraska Omaha
                          15. Merrimack
                          16. Maine
                          17. Wisconsin
                          18. RPI
                          19. Minnesota
                          20. Cornell
                          North Dakota

Comment

The website is up and running (somewhat). Thanks to some friends out east for submitting their top-10s, and I have uploaded the first ever "College Hockey Weekly Power Rankings".

Check it out here...

http://www.collegehockeyweekly.com/W...-Rankings.html

Please note, the other pages are still being worked on, but should be ready by next week for the season. I'll continue to ask for your help in ranking these teams, so stay tuned. The next rankings will come out October 10th, and then weekly thereafter. Hopefully you all will enjoy!
                            North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                              FWIW, here is USCHO's preseason rankings:
                              8. Minnesota Duluth (10)
                              Wow, how often does a team get about 1/4 of the first place votes and end up 8th? There are some pretty wildly differing approaches to casting a ballot in that poll.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
                                Wow, how often does a team get about 1/4 of the first place votes and end up 8th? There are some pretty wildly differing approaches to casting a ballot in that poll.
                                Yeah, that was a surprise. It seems that some voters subscribed to the "champion until beaten" philosophy, while others used the "who is the best now" approach. I prefer the second approach, but understand the first. I think North Dakota benefited from the first approach, as I'm sure some people voted them high based on the success of last year's team. FWIW, I left them off the top ten in my ballot.
                                North Dakota

Comment

Working...
                                X