Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

St. Cloud to NCHC

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: St. Cloud to NCHC

    Originally posted by Minne-Sioux-ta View Post
    Gophers
    The University of North Dakota Gophers? I don't think the NCAA would allow that, and I doubt the fan base would like it either. But you go ahead and suggest it, if you like.

    Comment


    • Re: St. Cloud to NCHC

      Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
      The University of North Dakota Gophers? I don't think the NCAA would allow that, and I doubt the fan base would like it either. But you go ahead and suggest it, if you like.

      Maybe not, but I'd bet the prairie dogs are fair game.

      Comment


      • Re: St. Cloud to NCHC

        Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
        The University of North Dakota Gophers? I don't think the NCAA would allow that...
        The NCAA couldn't stop them from duplicating a name. We've currently got two teams of Huskies and two teams of Mavericks; there could certainly be two teams of gophers. Heck, a flickertail isn't much different than a gopher anyway.
        *******http://www.sandsexoticanimals.com/care/groundsquirrel-care.jpg********
        My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

        Comment


        • Re: St. Cloud to NCHC

          SCSU gives some credibility to this league. Otherwise, the leagues was going to be an embarrassment to college hockey and for the schools that started it. Da Huskies just saved the "super league"

          On another note, UND should adopt the Soo line railroad. They could be the Soo rails. Let's go Soo!
          Bob is making me concerned
          I am the voice of reason

          Comment


          • Re: St. Cloud to NCHC

            Originally posted by Skeeterman View Post
            SCSU gives some credibility to this league. Otherwise, the leagues was going to be an embarrassment to college hockey and for the schools that started it. Da Huskies just saved the "super league"

            On another note, UND should adopt the Soo line railroad. They could be the Soo rails. Let's go Soo!
            I still think Groucho was right on this one, and SCSU should have followed it:

            "I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members."
            Groucho Marx

            Comment


            • Re: St. Cloud to NCHC

              Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
              Yeah. The Montreal Canadiens logo is awesome.
              Seriously, why not "Greenhawks" after the Blackhawks. You already use the same Ind...oops...native American logo. Of course the colors are green and black so you could call yourselves the "Greenhawks!" Probably not a lot of Greenhawk native Americans to get all worked up about that. Makes sense...Greenhawks!
              There is Hope . . .

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post
                Using the words SCSU and powerhouse in the same sentence is a joke, so you're right about that. It will be interesting to see how the fans feel in a few years after finishing last every year and not having that opportunity to put up win number 2 in the tournament. And you're wrong about the 95% of all UND fans being angry - I'm sure it's much higher than that.
                Well, considering we aren't going to finish last every year(or probably any year), we can ignore that question. When was the last time SCSU finished last in the WCHA, which is a tougher conference?

                Im so glad North Dakota fans take such pride in their hockey team, since everything else about their state is so miserable.

                Your team has its own problems, worry about theirs, not ours.
                Originally posted by SJHovey
                Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                Originally posted by Brenthoven
                We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

                Comment


                • Re: St. Cloud to NCHC

                  Originally posted by bbutzin View Post
                  But CC needs DU also, that's what you're missing. CC is the academic heavyweight. These are expensive private schools (I've got the loans to prove it!) - they need that competition, rivalry, link.

                  I don't mean to be insulting... but the off-the-ice is something that's too often ignored in western/central college hockey, because it's often not relevant. Most of the schools are middle-of-the-road, small state schools (the Big 10 being a major exception, and now gone). DU needs a peer institution, that's CC.

                  I don't know if sugar daddy is the right word. CC is much wealthier (even at 1/9 the student body size, it has almost double DU's endowment). DU is bigger. And lately, DU has been better. But it's not a sugar daddy relationship... Best frenemies?
                  Well, too bad. Can't support hockey? Fold 'em. I don't care about CC, so let 'em die.

                  Sound familiar? Funny how you reverse your stance when it comes to a school you like.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

                  Comment


                  • Re: St. Cloud to NCHC

                    Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                    Well, too bad. Can't support hockey? Fold 'em. I don't care about CC, so let 'em die.

                    Sound familiar? Funny how you reverse your stance when it comes to a school you like.
                    Huh? The difference is that CC can support its own program, irrespective of conference alignment. If the CC program ever folds, it won't be out of necessity, it'll be a choice. Same for DU, for that matter. A bunch of rich alumni help that. CC could continue its program in the WCHA. But why would they want to, especially without DU along? Boring. (Better discussion of this point in the other thread.)
                    Last edited by bunt_q; 09-22-2011, 06:17 PM.

                    Comment


                    • Re: St. Cloud to NCHC

                      Originally posted by bbutzin View Post
                      Huh? The difference is that CC can support its own program, irrespective of conference alignment. If the CC program ever folds, it won't be out of necessity, it'll be a choice. Same for DU, for that matter. A bunch of rich alumni help that.
                      Earlier you expressed fears that CC would be the cellar-dweller in the NCHC, and that attendance might fall to the point where there weren't a ton of fans going to games. Obviously this would decrease revenue.

                      Well, if it gets to a point where they have to fold. Screw 'em.

                      Now you're saying that CC shouldn't fold because DU and CC need each other. Which is it? Screw the schools that can't support hockey, or schools should help each other out?
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

                      Comment


                      • Re: St. Cloud to NCHC

                        Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                        Earlier you expressed fears that CC would be the cellar-dweller in the NCHC, and that attendance might fall to the point where there weren't a ton of fans going to games. Obviously this would decrease revenue.

                        Well, if it gets to a point where they have to fold. Screw 'em.

                        Now you're saying that CC shouldn't fold because DU and CC need each other. Which is it? Screw the schools that can't support hockey, or schools should help each other out?
                        Oh, I definitely have that fear of cellar-dwelling and 500 fans in the stands... yikes. But CC already runs its program in the red. They can support it, and they do support it, they just don't expect it to make a lot of money. The schools I think might fold are the ones that both can't make money and can't support it otherwise. Nobody ever said a program had to be a revenue-generator to survive, universities have lots of ways to bring in revenue to support things they deem important. In that sense, one-sport schools almost have an advantage. Bowling Green doesn't need hockey as the school's poster child, for marketing, etc. That will never be the case for CC (or DU, even DU in the WAC).

                        Like I said in the other thread:

                        CC will have a program as long as they decide to subsidize it, and it will fold the day they decide not to. It's not a moneymaker. I am sure the NCHC conference agreement will be a little more concrete than a vague reference to a "commitment to hockey" - they will force CC to memorialize it.
                        Last edited by bunt_q; 09-22-2011, 06:25 PM.

                        Comment


                        • Re: St. Cloud to NCHC

                          Originally posted by bbutzin View Post

                          CC will have a program as long as they decide to subsidize it, and it will fold the day they decide not to. It's not a moneymaker. I am sure the NCHC conference agreement will be a little more concrete than a vague reference to a "commitment to hockey" - they will force CC to memorialize it.
                          I'm not sure this is true. I could be wrong but I'm under the impression that CC doesn't loose money on hockey. I couldn't find anything to back this up but I'm almost certain I've seen a list of profitable programs posted here. Does anyone have it? I think it was a few years ago so things could have changed.

                          I think it was posted by a Wisconsin fan?
                          Last edited by ronmexico; 09-22-2011, 07:59 PM.
                          Originally posted by vizoroo
                          Thought you had picked the avatar so we could id you. Guess he fooled me too.
                          Originally posted by duper
                          I obviously missed it, but it sounds like some idiot from CC took trolling to a whole new, totally inappropriate level.
                          Originally posted by duper

                          I was well over the borderline. I figured I would meet you on your turf.
                          Originally posted by duper
                          Every time you post like an *******, I want to quote the idiotic comment you made where you claim not to be a troll. You're such a dick.
                          Originally posted by dggoddard
                          Finally you made me laugh.

                          There may be hope for you yet.

                          Comment


                          • Re: St. Cloud to NCHC

                            Originally posted by ronmexico View Post
                            I'm not sure this is true. I could be wrong but I'm under the impression that CC doesn't loose money on hockey. I couldn't find anything to back this up but I'm almost certain I've seen a list of profitable programs posted here. Does anyone have it? I think it was a few years ago so things could have changed.

                            I think it was posted by a Wisconsin fan?
                            Don't know what was posted here. A lot of it depends, I suppose, on how you define "making" or losing" money. I don't want to get into too much detail, not on here. But going over just what's available in the public annual report (which isn't much) on the revenue side, I think you can get a good idea (expenses are, naturally not included). Most recent is 2009-2010.

                            Hockey generated $1.41 million in ticket revenue.
                            Center Ice Club and Tiger Pride generated another ~$180k.
                            Gifts (mostly meals and hotels), sponsorships, and licenses another $800k or so (we'll count free stuff as revenues, just for accounting purposes).

                            That's pretty much it. Except for one great big line item - $350k + endowment allocations to the athletics department.

                            Not sure if we should count that as revenue or not. You could also view that as a subsidy. But either way, that number can go up and down as much as necessary, as long as the college is committed.

                            I think it's interesting that non-ticket revenue - community support in the form of clubs, gifts, sponsorships, and endowment contributions - is fully half the annual revenue the program sees. That sort of flies in the face of a lot of the assumptions tossed around on here.
                            Last edited by bunt_q; 09-22-2011, 08:25 PM.

                            Comment


                            • Re: St. Cloud to NCHC

                              Hey, I've been wondering who would be the cellar dwellers. Now we know!

                              In all seriousness, it never made any sense to me to put together the NCHC without SCSU. They are the closest thing the NCHC can get to a presence in the Twin Cities, and they provide a foothold in the central Minnesota recruiting region. Plus, they've been every bit as competative over the last few years as a school like UMD and more competative then WMU.

                              Oh, and for those SCSU fans who are so happy about Sioux fans being upset over this, I'm not the least bit upset over it! I happen to think it was a very logical move and welcome SCSU to the conference.
                              Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                              The North Dakota Fighting Doofuses? That would be fun, but I doubt they'll go that route. What is the plural of doofus? Doofi? Doofen?
                              Nah, we couldn't use that one. I'm sure the NCAA would decide it was hostile and abusive to someone!
                              sigpicUniversity of North Dakota, 8 time D-I Ice Hockey National Champions!

                              Comment


                              • Re: St. Cloud to NCHC

                                What are everyone's thoughts on how much more realignment will happen? Obviously the CCHA is done with only two teams remaining. What will Notre Dame do?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X