Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Bowling Green and/or Western Michigan join the WCHA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Will Bowling Green and/or Western Michigan join the WCHA?

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
    we're Tech fans. we even think we are going to win this year...
    I would think Tech would be better this season. What did they win 4 games? I think 10-15 games might be a possibility.
    Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
    Eric's Twitter
    The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
      But there's no way they'd set up a "pod" scheduling where one pod has both Alaska schools. This would mean that the AHA-4 would one way or another end up having to travel to Alaska on a regular basis as well as the UP and Minnesota on a semi-regular basis. That still flies in the face of their reported objections to joining the CCHA while Alaska and LSSU were still members.
      Agreed, if the four Atlantic teams wanted to be apart of 16 team conference, it would make a lot more sense to see if the ECAC would be willing to expand then to join the WCHA.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
        Not even close. The money was used primarily for maintenance items. which is a big no- no. So yeah they are short of funds.
        When your annual donors threaten to cut off their donations if hockey dropped, your program is on stable ground. In other words, it will cost the university far more to cut the program than to fund it.

Comment

Notre Dame AD Jack Swarbrick told WSBT on Saturday that the future of Notre Dame hockey will be announced in 7-10 days, which would me next Tuesday at the latest. Of course they were going to announce at the CCHA meetings...by the start of the football season...

I would expect BG and Western to take their decisions up to this weekend's deadline and possible ask for a 1-2 week extension if Notre Dame has not made a decision by then.
          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
            Notre Dame AD Jack Swarbrick told WSBT on Saturday that the future of Notre Dame hockey will be announced in 7-10 days, which would me next Tuesday at the latest. Of course they were going to announce at the CCHA meetings...by the start of the football season...

I would expect BG and Western to take their decisions up to this weekend's deadline and possible ask for a 1-2 week extension if Notre Dame has not made a decision by then.
            Assuming BG and Western are working in concert, they could ask for the extension with a reasonable expectation of getting it since I'm sure the WCHA would like at least one for the Division I aspect.
            "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
              Assuming BG and Western are working in concert, they could ask for the extension with a reasonable expectation of getting it since I'm sure the WCHA would like at least one for the Division I aspect.
              I don't know if they are working in concert or not. Western says they are making their decision all on their own. But it would appear, as I've said before that they are still waiting for the Notre Dame decision and the ramifications of that, and that Bowling Green is waiting for both of them, to see where they then fit.
              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

I don't see too many realistic scenarios where BGSU doesn't end up in the WCHA. They've hinted at it in the media ("...tracking toward WCHA") and despite their D1 program and past NCAA title, they don't have the budget or facilities of the other NCHC schools. They've also not made any public overtures like Why Western. I was in Toledo last week and visited the BGSU Arena for the first time. Despite the recent renovations, it still doesn't have the modern amenities of many other college arenas. I still couldn't guess what Notre Dame will do.....NCHC? East? Indy? If they go NCHC, I think WMU will also be invited as a provisional member. If not, I think Western goes to WCHA. Western's recent statement that they'll play top talent no matter where they end up suggests that they're preparing for the possibility of going to the WCHA.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post

Given this time frame and the rumblings in college football, I wonder if this time frame coincides with the future of other ND sports.
                  tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

The Kalamazoo Gazette's David Drew posted this Tweet tonight.

Be sure to check http://mlive.com/broncos tomorrow morning for big college hockey news.

Comment

Probably related to the Grand Forks Herald article tonight that WMU and Saint Cloud would be getting NCHC invites -- though it is a bit vague as they say "sometime this week". It sounded to me like WMU was getting one immediately, and SCSU might be playing backup if ND were to decide to decline their standing invitation.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/even.../group/Sports/

Comment

Originally posted by Savage View Post
                        Probably related to the Grand Forks Herald article tonight that WMU and Saint Cloud would be getting NCHC invites -- though it is a bit vague as they say "sometime this week". It sounded to me like WMU was getting one immediately, and SCSU might be playing backup if ND were to decide to decline their standing invitation.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/even.../group/Sports/
                        Where do you get that SCSU is a backup?
                        The article says both schools will be getting invites and both are expected to accept.
                        A mistake on SCSU's part in my opinion.
                        "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                        -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                        Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                        Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                        Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                        Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                          Where do you get that SCSU is a backup?
                          The article says both schools will be getting invites and both are expected to accept.
                          A mistake on SCSU's part in my opinion.
                          Yeah especially since they already turned it down even before being considered for an invite

Comment

Well congrats Western, seems like this is the outcome your fanbase wanted (or at the very least your marketing department)!

Comment

Working...
                            X