Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Bowling Green and/or Western Michigan join the WCHA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Will Bowling Green and/or Western Michigan join the WCHA?

From the Sentinel-Trib article:

"That leads to speculation the WCHA and the CCHA could be talking with four Atlantic Hockey schools..."

"Alabama-Huntsville, an independent, also may be involved in the talks...."

Exactly who is speculating? Anyone in print? Anyone who knows anything? And UAH may be involved... or they may not. Sounds to me like he's blowing smoke.

This whole idea doesn't make much sense to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
      Why? Minnesota is the hockey universe.
      While that may be true for those of you in the Land of 10,000 Lakes...

The AHA-4 are actually all much closer to the mean geographic center of the college hockey universe
      (If I remember correctly someone on here calculated it as being somewhere between Buffalo and Rochester, NY, ~ 30 miles east of Niagara and Canisius)
      Can't we all just get along?
      Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

I would not be at all surprised if some or all of the AHA4 are exploring the idea of applying to the WCHA, especially if BGSU and WMU accept. There would be some issues, mostly regarding travel. I am wondering if some type of pod schedules such as those used in the CCHA would be a means of controlling that travel issue?
        GO PURPS!
        Real Men wear PURPLE!

www.gwinnettgladiators.com

I am ... a New Yorker by birth, Southern by the Grace of God

Comment

Originally posted by 5hole View Post
          I would not be at all surprised if some or all of the AHA4 are exploring the idea of applying to the WCHA, especially if BGSU and WMU accept. There would be some issues, mostly regarding travel. I am wondering if some type of pod schedules such as those used in the CCHA would be a means of controlling that travel issue?
          Are a few more scholarships really worth being one of possibly 16 teams to get an autobid? Based on my experience with the unbalanced schedules of a 12 team conference, I hate to think of what the schedule would look like. If you're going to get to 16 teams, why not just keep the CCHA alive with the AHA, WMU, BGSU, FSU, UAH. Granted thats what I was hoping for to begin with.
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

looking at the possibilities for BG.
            1. They go to the WCHA. longer travel, some new teams to play, some familiar teams, increased expenses. But overall not terrible.

2. they go where? You think the nchc will take them?... I doubt it. ...Atlantic hockey along with Hunstville?, possible. Might lower expenses and the Atlantic teams are closer than the WCHA. But the level of competition would be lower. Again overall not terrible for them.I don't see the Atlantic four leaving to tell the truth.
            3. They drop Hockey. also possible. They are short of money. Not a great solution though and it doesn't seem on the table at this point.

Maybe they are waiting for WMU and if WMU goes to the WCHA, I can see BG going along, but if not then well we'll see. At any rate I think the decision has pretty much been made.
            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
              Are a few more scholarships really worth being one of possibly 16 teams to get an autobid? Based on my experience with the unbalanced schedules of a 12 team conference, I hate to think of what the schedule would look like. If you're going to get to 16 teams, why not just keep the CCHA alive with the AHA, WMU, BGSU, FSU, UAH. Granted thats what I was hoping for to begin with.
              A few more scholies - possibly worth it. Those AHA teams are almost guaranteed to have a 1:12 shot right now. A restructured WCHA with 16 teams would very possibly send two teams most years, so 1:8 shot.

I think the problem for the AHA4 keeping the CCHA alive as you mention is that they are not very interested in a six team conference that could be less stable due to some of the members who would consider changing conferences, if the right invitation came along, or dropping hockey. They would want at least eight teams if UAH were one of the teams. Once FSU accepted, that idea was pretty much dismissed.

With the WCHA at 9 right now, if BGSU and WMU joined (11), I could see considering adding just two of the AHA teams (13) and Moorhead or UAH (14), then going to two 7-team divisions. That would probably help travel-wise and maybe with scheduling (since this is pretty speculative, I am not going to try to figure out the scheduling details).
              GO PURPS!
              Real Men wear PURPLE!

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                3. They drop Hockey. also possible. They are short of money. Not a great solution though and it doesn't seem on the table at this point.

Maybe they are waiting for WMU and if WMU goes to the WCHA, I can see BG going along, but if not then well we'll see. At any rate I think the decision has pretty much been made.
                Short of money? Really? You might want to check your sources. BG's "Bring Back the Glory" campaign has raised millions of dollars and put the program back on solid financial ground. There are about $4 million in renovations planned for the arena alone.
                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by 5hole View Post
                  But there's no way they'd set up a "pod" scheduling where one pod has both Alaska schools. This would mean that the AHA-4 would one way or another end up having to travel to Alaska on a regular basis as well as the UP and Minnesota on a semi-regular basis. That still flies in the face of their reported objections to joining the CCHA while Alaska and LSSU were still members.
                  Can't we all just get along?
                  Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
                    But there's no way they'd set up a "pod" scheduling where one pod has both Alaska schools. This would mean that the AHA-4 would one way or another end up having to travel to Alaska on a regular basis as well as the UP and Minnesota on a semi-regular basis. That still flies in the face of their reported objections to joining the CCHA while Alaska and LSSU were still members.
                    I will admit I have never looked closely enough at the CCHA pod scheduling to understand it or know the details. Just thought it was a possibility that could be worked out but have not had the time to really get into. But I agree, trying to work out a fair schedule with both Alaska teams in the same league may not work for the AHA4.
                    GO PURPS!
                    Real Men wear PURPLE!

Comment

The WCHA has a pod schedule right now. You play the three teams in your pod four times, your pod plays four teams from another pod twice on the road and then your pod plays the four teams from the third pod twice at home. 28 games, 14 home, 14 road.

You and your rival are always in the same pod. The other two teams in your pod rotate from year to year. Bemidji's rival is UNO, so the Beavers will always have them four times. Last year, the pod mates were UND and St. Cloud (rivals). This year the Beavers are with Denver and Colorado College (rivals). The other rival pairings are UAA-Mankato, Duluth-Tech and Wisconsin-Minnesota.

About the only change I would make is that if the two schools are close enough (ie., Bemidji to Duluth, Bemidji to UND or Bemidji to SCSU), to do a home and home weekend. Although, it is kind of nice to get to a town and "settle in" instead of driving every day/night.

Of course, this all goes "caput" in two years.......
                      Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                      FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                      NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                      NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                      NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                      NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                      Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                      Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                        Short of money? Really? You might want to check your sources. BG's "Bring Back the Glory" campaign has raised millions of dollars and put the program back on solid financial ground. There are about $4 million in renovations planned for the arena alone.
                        yes, really. in 2009 figure skater Scott Hamilton kicked in half a million to keep the program going. since then alums have started the BBtG and successfully raised 4 million. is it enough? time will tell.
                        Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                        "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                        Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                        Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                          yes, really. in 2009 figure skater Scott Hamilton kicked in half a million to keep the program going. since then alums have started the BBtG and successfully raised 4 million. is it enough? time will tell.
                          Not even close. The money was used primarily for maintenance items. which is a big no- no. So yeah they are short of funds.
                          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                            Not even close. The money was used primarily for maintenance items. which is a big no- no. So yeah they are short of funds.
                            That's funny. The picture you paint is vastly different than the one that I hear from people at Bowling Green.
                            Last edited by davyd83; 09-18-2011, 02:52 PM.
                            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                              That's funny. The picture you paint is vastly different than the one that I hear from people at Bowling Green.
                              we're Tech fans. we even think we are going to win this year...
                              Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                              "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                              Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                              Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                                we're Tech fans. we even think we are going to win this year...
                                You may not win this year. But there will be improvement and the start of a good foundation.

Comment

Working...
                                X