Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UAH Hockey is on the precipice. Please tell our President to step off.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UAH Hockey is on the precipice. Please tell our President to step off.

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
    That's exactly how the writer of the article took it, too.
    Yes, that's exactly how Brophy & Portera see it. They see no difference between fielding a DI team vs. fielding a club team, because they are clueless about anything hockey. Portera keeps referencing the schools history at the club level as if stepping backwards is ok.

And UAHStatman - Altenkirch is Portera's hand picked choice, and like Brophy, I wouldn't expect him to be anything other than Portera's yes man. So I'm not sure leaving the decision up to him buys us anything.

Comment

Originally posted by fangers View Post
      Yes, that's exactly how Brophy & Portera see it. They see no difference between fielding a DI team vs. fielding a club team, because they are clueless about anything hockey. Portera keeps referencing the schools history at the club level as if stepping backwards is ok.
      They also make moving to club sound so easy. The questions that come to my mind are 1) Who is going to play us? and 2) Who is going to play FOR us? We wouldn't blame any scholarship player or coach from bolting. It would basically be starting all over from scratch, and having quick and adequate answers for either of those questions won't be easy. I fear demotion to club amounts to a delayed death sentence.
      Michael Napier - UAH '97
      uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
      U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
      NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
      CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
      CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

out of left field, UAHStatman, but going by your handle and location do you work for SAS?
        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
        Skating Friar Jersey
        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
        Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
          out of left field, UAHStatman, but going by your handle and location do you work for SAS?
          I do not. "Statman" was my nickname when I worked at the UAH sports information office as a student in the '90s. My biggest project there was creating the record books.
          Michael Napier - UAH '97
          uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
          U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
          NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
          CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
          CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by UAHStatman View Post
            I do not. "Statman" was my nickname when I worked at the UAH sports information office as a student in the '90s. My biggest project there was creating the record books.
            figured it was worth asking
            BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
            Skating Friar Jersey
            AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
            UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
            Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

figured it was worth asking
              yeah, given his screen name and location.

Comment

i read that as "becoming a club team means the sport is not being eliminated"... but of course, i haven't read the article... maybe he's just being optimistic.

edit: ok, he's the athletic director... i'd say optimistic
                No, he's a yes man, hired by Portera. He's always deflecting things and saying it's not his decision, saying he'll do whatever his boss tells him. He's a baseball guy, no experience in the hockey world at all. I'd have some respect for him if he'd just get a backbone and admit he really doesn't support D1 hockey rather than hide behind Protera, letting him be the bad guy. If he thinks such logic will buy him anything with alum and fans if the program drops from D1 he's mistaken - his legacy would that of the AD at the helm when the program dropped, and that would never change.

Comment

&*#@!!!

Is it over, or can something still be done to save your team?

Terrible day for college hockey...
                  Dartmouth College: NCAAs 1948 1949 1960 1979 1980
                  University of Massachusetts: NCAAs 2007, ECAC Div. II Champs 1972

"When in doubt, use brute force." -- Ken Thompson

Comment

****ty
                    Originally posted by Hokydad
                    Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Working...
                    X