Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UAH Hockey is on the precipice. Please tell our President to step off.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UAH Hockey is on the precipice. Please tell our President to step off.

Originally posted by ClOuD 9 View Post
    Bit sketched out about providing my address, etc. What is and isn't visible and to whom?
    The only information shown publicly on the petition is your name, your city and state, and any comment you want to make.

As for your change.org account, you can set how public your profile (which basically just has what causes/petitions you've signed) can be: public, members only, or friends only. I don't know of any other address information shown publicly.
    Michael Napier - UAH '97
    uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
    U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
    NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
    CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
    CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by chargersupporter View Post
      Is the announcement coming soon?
      Given the three articles on AL.com that were posted over on saveuahhockey, I expect that come mid-october the plug on D-I is going to be pulled officially. I'm still highly skeptical of the numbers they're quoting particularly when it comes to the travel and conference costs. This will be on the heads of not only Portera and his cronies, but the entire administrative Division I hockey community. I.e. the conference heads, college administrators, and athletic directors who didn't make a peep as we go down in flames like Wayne State and Kent State, and why? Because they're refusing to stick their heads out of their shell far enough to see that the axe blade that culls us is the same one that will make increasingly closer sweeps to each of them as the power, like football, is siphoned off and curried into a handful of teams.

*Yes, I'm ticked off.*

Comment

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2...ce_mcleod.html

Looks like for UAH to surive the WCHA will have to expand to 16 schools.
        Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
        dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
        wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Comparing costs of a D-II softball team to D-1 hockey. Really?

Everything Portera says points to UAH D-1 Hockey being canned.

Comment

As I understand it now, Bowen has a meeting with Portera on Oct 18 to present what amounts to a business plan for funding hockey. Portera is also supposed to go to Denver to meet with McLeod upon one of their return from Africa??? I didn't get which one is out of country... The AD says of the conference problem, everything is waiting on Notre Dame?!?! who is expected to make a decision around Oct 7th??? Who actually knows... I don't know. Just passing on what I've heard. Take it for what its worth...
            Doug
            UAH 1974
            Charger Hockey - Born 1979 ~ Killed 2012
            Executioner: Malcom Portera - Chancellor, University of Alabama System
            Reason: Hates all things not in Tuscaloosa (i.e. UAH & UAB)
            Revived: Two Months Later - Thanks Nathan et al... Save UAH Hockey
            Reborn: 1/17/2013 - Thanks Bob - Thanks WCHA!!!

Comment

I hope the fans in Huntsville come out and fill the VBC this weekend against Lake Superior.

Comment

I am very discouraged to see where this very well might be heading.
                If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

This needs to come back to the front page!

I admit I haven't been reading the UAH thread, but any news on the campaign? Now that Notre Dame's joined Hockey East, if the HEA takes in a 12th team, would it be possible for UAH to take the spot that opens up in another conference?

Comment

Originally posted by REDaero91 View Post
                    Now that Notre Dame's joined Hockey East, if the HEA takes in a 12th team, would it be possible for UAH to take the spot that opens up in another conference?
                    It sounds like the first two choices are RPI or Quinnipiac, both ECAC members. The unlikely option is UConn, which would open a spot in Atlantic Hockey which UAH could potentially fill.
                    "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
                    Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
                    NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
                    EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
                    AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
                    1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

• Re: UAH Hockey is on the precipice. Please tell our President to step off.

Originally posted by ClOuD 9 View Post
                      It sounds like the first two choices are RPI or Quinnipiac, both ECAC members.
                      Right, but the trickle-down effect would be that that 12th spot in the ECAC would be filled with someone from the AHA (RIT or Holy Cross, respectively are the two rumors that keep getting thrown around most frequently). Then, a spot in the AHA opens which could be filled by UAH. The question is, is UAH being considered for that (possible) spot?

Neither REDaero nor myself have the inside knowledge to know what's happening down in Alabama, which is why we're posing the question.
                      Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

I think UAH's chances of finding a home are better now that we know that there will be two conferences have odd numbers in their membership.

Granted, Minnesota State-Moorhead and Buffalo could spoil the party, but that's not terribly likely. Not anytime soon.
                        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
                          Right, but the trickle-down effect would be that that 12th spot in the ECAC would be filled with someone from the AHA (RIT or Holy Cross, respectively are the two rumors that keep getting thrown around most frequently). Then, a spot in the AHA opens which could be filled by UAH. The question is, is UAH being considered for that (possible) spot?

Neither REDaero nor myself have the inside knowledge to know what's happening down in Alabama, which is why we're posing the question.
                          I don't have inside knowledge, either -- and please, if anyone can correct me please do so -- but it's my understanding that there's supposed to be more talks with Dr. Portera this month in the hopes of developing a funding plan to save the program. I'm thinking that's why Portera hasn't come right out and said that the program will be demoted to club or abolished yet.

The new president (Dr. Altenkirch) takes over in November - we'd like to at least have it so he makes the final say (after getting to know the school and the program) instead of Portera.
                          Michael Napier - UAH '97
                          uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
                          U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
                          NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
                          CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
                          CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

Article in the Boston Globe about hockey realignment

There are quotes from Brophy on Page 3 stating that "The sport will not be eliminated and I say not with a capital N." and "Failure to get into a conference is not an option."
                            Go Red!!

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
                              Article in the Boston Globe about hockey realignment

There are quotes from Brophy on Page 3 stating that "The sport will not be eliminated and I say not with a capital N." and "Failure to get into a conference is not an option."
                              i read that as "becoming a club team means the sport is not being eliminated"... but of course, i haven't read the article... maybe he's just being optimistic.

edit: ok, he's the athletic director... i'd say optimistic
                              Last edited by Patman; 10-08-2011, 07:58 AM.
                              BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                              Skating Friar Jersey
                              AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                              UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                              Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                                i read that as "becoming a club team means the sport is not being eliminated"... but of course, i haven't read the article... maybe he's just being optimistic.
                                That's exactly how the writer of the article took it, too.
                                Go Red!!

Comment

Working...
                                X