Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UAH Hockey is on the precipice. Please tell our President to step off.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SteveP
    replied
    Re: UAH Hockey is on the precipice. Please tell our President to step off.

Hey Geof -- I'm telling all the Bama fans visiting the PSU All Sports Museum today to sign the petition or write the administration in support of the Chargers. Hoping it will help the cause!

Leave a comment:

• gfmorris
    replied

I've got video of the presser and I'll post it tomorrow.

GFM

Leave a comment:

• bigmrg74
    replied

halfway to 5,000.

Leave a comment:

• UAHStatman
    replied

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    GFMorris had mentioned being able to attend in one of the articles.
    Geoff was there, and he posted the press release and his thoughts at saveuahhockey.com:
    http://saveuahhockey.com/2011/09/08/...ss-conference/

John Turner of The Huntsville Times was also there and filed this report (includes photos):
    http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2..._rally_to.html

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

Originally posted by chargersupporter View Post
    Any posters able to take in press conference of the community group?
    GFMorris had mentioned being able to attend in one of the articles.

Leave a comment:

• Back check
    replied

Any posters able to take in press conference of the community group?

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
    I have forwarded it to both Joe Yerdon and Bob McKenzie. I would think BobbyMack would be quite supportive seeing how his son, Mike, played hockey at SLU.
    Joe Yerdon http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...save-it-again/

Leave a comment:

• bigmrg74
    replied

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
    That's the goal I put on it. The pace has slowed a bit, but it's still pretty steady. We'll obviously take many more.

The individual presidents in the UA system have a fair amount of autonomy. He's rushing to do this before the new President is named. That tussle---Portera v. Huntsville Business Community---is another interesting tussle. It makes me think that this guy is out to cut UAH down to size, which is funny as we're the smallest school in the system already.

http://www.uscho.com/2011/09/07/alab...sroots-effort/ I guess you can say that I'm mad.

GFM
    I've slapped the link up at a few different little corners of the internet that I know of. Figure its worth it to drive a few more people your way.

Leave a comment:

• pgb-ohio
    replied

Signed.

Posted Reason: As the only D-1 Hockey program in the South, the Chargers are catering to an otherwise unserved taste. If something must be cut, duplicative programs should be the first to go. As a unique commodity, UAH Hockey is a precious asset and should be jealously protected. To cut a trailblazing program is to strive for mediocrity.

Leave a comment:

• gfmorris
    replied

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    It looks like that if it reaches 5000 the bar will be filled. Was that the goal of the petition?
    That's the goal I put on it. The pace has slowed a bit, but it's still pretty steady. We'll obviously take many more.

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
    So since he is clearly either outright lying or simply making up stories about the potential cost of joining a conference, what do you suppose are this guy's real motivations for eliminating the program? What do you suppose is his agenda? How can he make such a permanently definitive decision as an interim president? Is he able to do so as System Chancellor? Sounds fishy to me, but I know nothing about U. of Alabama system and it's schools' administrations.
    Do you believe this petition will help if this guy (and or others) have an agenda other than what has been said publicly, or will it simply be stored in the circular file?
    Don't get me wrong. For UAH fans' sake I certainly hope it does help, that they find a home soon, and everyone (except maybe this d-bag chancellor) is happy at the end of the day.
    The individual presidents in the UA system have a fair amount of autonomy. He's rushing to do this before the new President is named. That tussle---Portera v. Huntsville Business Community---is another interesting tussle. It makes me think that this guy is out to cut UAH down to size, which is funny as we're the smallest school in the system already.

http://www.uscho.com/2011/09/07/alab...sroots-effort/ I guess you can say that I'm mad.

GFM

Leave a comment:

• bigmrg74
    replied
    Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
    So since he is clearly either outright lying or simply making up stories about the potential cost of joining a conference, what do you suppose are this guy's real motivations for eliminating the program? What do you suppose is his agenda? How can he make such a permanently definitive decision as an interim president? Is he able to do so as System Chancellor? Sounds fishy to me, but I know nothing about U. of Alabama system and it's schools' administrations.
    Do you believe this petition will help if this guy (and or others) have an agenda other than what has been said publicly, or will it simply be stored in the circular file?
    Don't get me wrong. For UAH fans' sake I certainly hope it does help, that they find a home soon, and everyone (except maybe this d-bag chancellor) is happy at the end of the day.
    it's spitting into a hurricane, but the more noise we make as a collective make now, the harder this end around by the Alabama chancellor would be, and it just might guilt one conference into bringing them in once the issue of what Notre Dame will do is settled. Right now the best thing to do is to keep making noise about the issue, and if your team is one of the programs going to Huntsville this season, you should head on down there, and bring the golf clubs and an appetite for some BBQ. Spread some money around town and make it known what it is that you're in town for.

Leave a comment:

• SteveP
    replied

Happy to sign my support. As I wrote in the comment section, I witnessed firsthand the passion of Chargers fans when UAH came that close to upsetting Notre Dame in Grand Rapids back in 2007.

Good luck with the battle - hoping Penn State and UAH can renew the old rivalry.

Leave a comment:

• TigerFan86-87
    replied

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
    http://www.change.org/petitions/uah-...-on-and-thrive

Here's background: we've had two big changes in the administration at UAH within the last year. Our athletic director passed away in December, and then our university president was run out on a rail in March. [I've never been sure why, but I think it was his free-spending ways.] Now the UA System Chancellor, Mack Portera, is acting as interim president. He's making lot of changes on campus, and one of them that he's swiftly seeking to make is the elimination of varsity hockey after the 2011-12 season. Just at the point where it seems a conference home could be found, this dingbat is going around lying and saying that the expansion fee to get into any league would be $500,000 or more. He ignores the fact that the CCHA fee in 2009 would have been $250k, and that's with the BTHC teams involved in that league. Maybe it's as expensive to get into the WCHA, but I doubt it'll be twice as expensive. He's telling a number of other lies as well, but this one is the one that the wider college hockey community is telling.

Speaking of that college hockey community: we hear a lot about how everyone wants to keep UAH going on. Few of you are in a position to directly affect these decisions, but we're all in a position to have our voice heard. I would dearly appreciate it if you'd take the time to sign the petition I linked above to show your support for another member of the college hockey community.

Thanks.

GFM

Leave a comment:

• boblav1
    replied

Done last night. Go Chargers!

Leave a comment:

• manurespreader
    replied

Done and I own a home in alabama so I used that address. Also posted on FB.
    Good luck.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X