This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2011 - 12 Recruit Thread

Very true. Also, look at Chase Polacek. Late pick-up, undrafted (mainly because of size), but a two-time ECAC Player of the Year. Recruiting is a box of chocolates.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      Very true. Also, look at Chase Polacek. Late pick-up, undrafted (mainly because of size), but a two-time ECAC Player of the Year. Recruiting is a box of chocolates.
      RPI 2011 - 12 Recruit Thread Part II: Recruiting is a box of chocolates
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
        RPI 2011 - 12 Recruit Thread Part II: Recruiting is a box of chocolates
        I thought we didn't do thread titles for these.

Comment

On D we are losing Bailen then and eBergin either this fall or in 1913.
          So we lose Bergin and the Titanic in consecutive years? What a coincidence.
          Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
            Interesting to note also the difficulty of determining which "child prodigies" are simply players who peak earlier in life - especially prevalent in soccer. Freddy Adu was supposed to be the player who put American soccer on the map when he was signed to DC United at age 14. Eight years later he's a role player for an MLS team and only an occasional call-up to the national team.

But of course, for every Freddy Adu out there, there's also a Wayne Gretzky or Tiger Woods.
            RC-Way back in the old days when i was still in training in Medicine at BU-there was talk of some kid hockey player coming who was going to just revolutionize the Boston Bruins and lead them to success. He wasn't quite 14 or 15 at the time and I just ignored what was being said. I think the kid was named Orr. But as i mentioned before-it is usually impossible to predict how these 13 year old kids will be in the 6 or 7 years it takes to reach the NCAA. Their bone and muscle development is not even close to being finished. Whatever skills they possess at that age may make them attractive to recruit but all of these coaches have to have a crystal ball to be able to try to predict how they will turn out. That being said-we have had a chance to watch this youngster Melanson over a period of time now-he is progressing quite nicely. I think we may have quite a find here but I don't expect to see him in Troy for at least 2 more years if not 3.

Comment

As hard as it is to recruit for the NCAA 5-7 years ahead of time=Imagine what NHL scouts have to do. After all, they have to think about not only can these kids make it to the college level-but can they take it much further and compete on the professional level. Lots of scouts for the NHL passed on Martin St Louis and Eric Perrin for a long time. I am sure they had the same thoughts about Chase. I suspect if Chase had the same talent level that he had shown but was 6'2 and 210 pounds-he might have been a second or third round pick when he was elligible.

Comment

I thought we didn't do thread titles for these.
                We don't, but ...
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                  RC-Way back in the old days when i was still in training in Medicine at BU-there was talk of some kid hockey player coming who was going to just revolutionize the Boston Bruins and lead them to success. He wasn't quite 14 or 15 at the time and I just ignored what was being said. I think the kid was named Orr. But as i mentioned before-it is usually impossible to predict how these 13 year old kids will be in the 6 or 7 years it takes to reach the NCAA. Their bone and muscle development is not even close to being finished. Whatever skills they possess at that age may make them attractive to recruit but all of these coaches have to have a crystal ball to be able to try to predict how they will turn out. That being said-we have had a chance to watch this youngster Melanson over a period of time now-he is progressing quite nicely. I think we may have quite a find here but I don't expect to see him in Troy for at least 2 more years if not 3.
                  Orr was already playing for the Bruins in 66-67. Wasn't he there already when you were there?
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Orr was already playing for the Bruins in 66-67. Wasn't he there already when you were there?
                    Spent time at BU in the 60's but had heard about this young kid coming for years before. He was touted as being the savior for the franchise-all of that before he ever set foot on the ice-but obviously they knew what they were talking about from the time he was a kid and then playing at Oshawa. I wonder how often though that these early scoutings are correct like that.
                    Last edited by DrDemento; 01-23-2012, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                      Spent time at BU in the 60's but had heard about this young kid coming for years before. He was touted as being the savior for the franchise-all of that before he ever set foot on the ice-but obviously they knew what they were talking about from the time he was a kid and then playing at Oshawa. I wonder how often though that these early scoutings are correct like that.
                      I also remember him being touted as a young teen.
                      Last edited by Ralph Baer; 01-23-2012, 02:22 PM.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I also remember him being touted as a young teen.
                        i am pretty sure that there have been lots of others who were highly touted who amounted to nothing. i honestly do not know how these scouts can be expected to spot the diamonds in the rough out there more than a couple years away. Especially with boys first maturing between 12 and 16-it just has to be a lot of guess work.

Comment

So... who's skipping this home weekend and going to Middlebury?

http://www.dailyrecord.com/article/2...123/301220039/

The greatest high school hockey show in New Jersey is heading north.

The second leg of this year’s Delbarton hockey tour will begin on Friday when the four-time NJSIAA Non-Public champions head to Connecticut to challenge South Kent and continue on to face Northwood Prep of Lake Placid (N.Y.) at Middlebury College in Vermont.
                          Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

We have seen Delbarton twice this year and would love to see them against some really tough competition. Instead though we have plans to see them down here in NJ once more for sure and perhaps a second time.

Comment

I'm skipping the home weekend, but not to go to Middlebury. Instead, I'll be hanging out with RB and company running up my post count.

Comment

It's too bad that Charles Manley is not playing for South Kent but is playing for a U16 team that plays at their rink. I think that he attends South Kent.
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X