Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NHL Demographics -- CHL, NCAA, Euro and Birthplaces.....real data.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NHL Demographics -- CHL, NCAA, Euro and Birthplaces.....real data.

All the unsolved and completely off-base urinary competitions in recent threads urged me to compile NHL demographic information, draw your own conclusions. I have more data if people request it, such as where all the Minnesota players went (since only 13.5 of the 42 went to the U).

NHL Player Demographics – 2010/2011 Season
    Total Players:
    978 players participated in at least 1 game

Totals by Dev Path:
    525.5 via the CHL – 53.7%
    289.5 via the NCAA – 29.6%
    163 via Europe/Asia – 16.7%
    *half a player = NCAA-to-CHL defection

Total Players (Adjusted for games played….GP/82):

571.78 “adjusted” players

By Dev. Path:
    309.92 CHL – 54.2%
    154.37 NCAA – 27.0%
    107.49 Euro – 18.8%
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where the NHL players come from - birthplace:
    Canada – 520 (53.2%)
    (Ont–205, Alta–91, PQ–66, BC–56, Sask–48, Man–33, NS–8, Nfld–7, PEI–4, NB–2)
    USA – 231 (23.6%)
    (MN–42, MI–38, NY–36, MA–19, IL–13, PA–13, WI–10, CT–9, CA–8, AK–7, CO/MO/NJ–4, NH/NC-3, IN/MD/ND/OH/UT/WA-2, DE/FL/IA/NE/RI/TX-1)
    Sweden – 62 (6.3%)
    Czech – 42 (4.3%)
    Finland – 30 (3.1%)
    Russia – 30 (3.1%)
    Slovakia – 14 (1.4%)
    Germany – 11 (1.1%)
    Denmark – 6 (0.6%)
    Switzerland – 5 (0.5%)
    Latvia – 4 (0.4%)
    Ukraine – 4 (0.4%)
    Austria – 3 (0.3%)
    Belarus – 3 (0.3%)
    Kazakhstan – 2 (0.2%)
    Norway – 2 (0.2%)
    Slovenia – 2 (0.2%)
    Brazil – 1 (0.1%)
    Brunei – 1 (0.1%)
    France – 1 (0.1%)
    Italy – 1 (0.1%)
    Japan – 1 (0.1%)
    Lithuania – 1 (0.1%)
    Poland – 1 (0.1%)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NCAA players in the NHL
    # of Players from each represented school (Adjusted for GP):
    Michigan – 23.5 (13.98 Adj.)
    Wisconsin – 20 (13.95)
    BC – 16.5 (10.16)
    North Dakota – 16 (8.10)
    BU – 16 (7.27)
    Minnesota – 13.5 (9.01)
    MSU – 13.5 (8.70)
    CC – 11 (3.32)
    OSU – 10 (4.52)
    Clarkson – 9 (5.55)
    Denver – 8 (3.66)
    Notre Dame – 7.5 (1.93)
    UMD – 7 (3.41)
    Cornell – 7 (3.05)
    Maine – 7 (3.05)
    SCSU – 6 (3.50)
    Dartmouth – 6 (3.48)
    UNH – 6 (2.67)
    Vermont – 5 (4.34)
    Miami – 5 (3.71)
    Princeton – 5 (3.57)
    Michigan Tech – 5 (2.77)
    Providence – 5 (2.63)
    WMU – 4 (3.71)
    MSU-Mankato – 4 (2.79)
    Harvard – 4 (2.27)
    Colgate – 4 (1.99)
    UNO – 4 (1.89)
    UMass – 4 (1.62)
    NMU – 4 (1.37)
    SLU – 4 (1.10)
    UAF – 4 (0.66)
    UMass-Lowell – 3 (1.68)
    Bowling Green – 3 (1.54)
    UAA – 3 (1.46)
    Yale – 3 (1.13)
    LSSU – 3 (1.12)
    Bemidji – 2 (0.37)
    Ferris – 1 (0.80)
    RIT – 1 (0.35)
    Brown – 1 (0.18)
    Holy Cross – 1 (0.12)
    Northeastern – 1 (0.11)
    Merrimack – 1 (0.05)
    Norwich – 1 (0.01)
    RPI – 1 (0.01)

Where NCAA players in the NHL come from (birthplace):
    USA – 179
    (MN-37, MI-30, NY-20, MA-17, IL-11, PA-11, WI-10, CT-9, CA-5, AK-4, CO/MO/NH-3, IN/MD/NJ/WA-2, DE/FL/IA/NE/NC/ND/OH/UT-1)
    Canada – 102
    (Ont-36, Alta-23, BC-21, Sask-10, Man-6.5, PQ-3, Nfld-2, NB/NS-1)
    Sweden – 3
    Austria – 2
    Brunei – 1
    Finland – 1
    France – 1
    Germany – 1

Enjoy, just don't kill the compiler.
    r
    Last edited by cetihcra; 08-25-2011, 12:01 AM.

Re: NHL Demographics -- CHL, NCAA, Euro and Birthplaces.....real data.

Thanks. I think it's important to note, the reason so many NHL players come from the CHL has more to do with it being the primary development route for Canadian players than it has anything to do with it being the better development route. Chris Peters of USofHockey did a piece a while back, and far less US players in the NHL went the CHL route. He looked at just recent first round picks, but it's a good representation.

http://unitedstatesofhockey.com/2011/08/03/the-path-to-the-nhl-part-i-big-decisions-at-age-16/
    Last edited by JDUBBS1280; 08-25-2011, 12:11 AM.

Comment

Let's do it by percentage:

80.4% of Canadians in the NHL went the CHL route
      22.5% of Americans in the NHL went the CHL route

Please note, I am not drawing conclusions by comparing the CHL and NCAA, just posting the data.

r

Comment

Originally posted by cetihcra View Post
        Let's do it by percentage:

80.4% of Canadians in the NHL went the CHL route
        22.5% of Americans in the NHL went the CHL route

Please note, I am not drawing conclusions by comparing the CHL and NCAA, just posting the data.

r
        I understand that. Just wanted to point that out. Thanks for putting this together

Comment

Originally posted by cetihcra View Post
          Where NCAA players in the NHL come from (birthplace):
          USA – 179
          (MN-37, MI-30, NY-20, MA-17, IL-11, PA-11, WI-10, CT-9, CA-5, AK-4, CO/MO/NH-3, IN/MD/NJ/WA-2, DE/FL/IA/NE/NC/ND/OH/UT-1)
          Canada – 102
          (Ont-36, Alta-23, BC-21, Sask-10, Man-6.5, PQ-3, Nfld-2, NB/NS-1)
          Sweden – 3
          Austria – 2
          Brunei – 1
          Finland – 1
          France – 1
          Germany – 1
          [/SIZE]

Enjoy, just don't kill the compiler.
          r
          Who's the player from Brunei?

Comment

Originally posted by GoNU5 View Post
            Who's the player from Brunei?
            Let me Google that for you...

(I had already looked it up before seeing your post)

If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Great Job cetihrca!

Confirms the conventional wisdom in Canada that roughly half of the NHL players come through the CHL. Not remotely close to the 1/3-1/3-1/3 mix espoused by certain NCAA coaches.

It is also interesting by your stats that 35% (102/290) of the NCAAers in the NHL were born in Canada.
              "The great aim of education is not knowledge, but action." -- Herbert Spencer

Comment

Originally posted by FreddyFoyle View Post

It is also interesting by your stats that 35% (102/290) of the NCAAers in the NHL were born in Canada.
                Why is that surprising? Just curious. Sounds about right to me.

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                  Why is that surprising? Just curious. Sounds about right to me.
                  Didn't say it was surprising -- rather that it was interesting. I had no idea how many NHL-calibre (well, for one game at least ...) Canadians were playing in the NCAA.
                  "The great aim of education is not knowledge, but action." -- Herbert Spencer

Comment

Originally posted by FreddyFoyle View Post
                    Didn't say it was surprising -- rather that it was interesting. I had no idea how many NHL-calibre (well, for one game at least ...) Canadians were playing in the NCAA.
                    Got it. There have been some good ones, Toews and Heatley to name a few. The number of Canadians in NCAA Hockey used to be even higher.

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                      Let me Google that for you...

(I had already looked it up before seeing your post)

Thanks, when I saw Brunei I thought there must have been a typo haha.

Comment

Originally posted by GoNU5 View Post
                        Thanks, when I saw Brunei I thought there must have been a typo haha.
                        I correctly assumed that it was a Canadian.
                        the state of hockey is good

Comment

Reactionaries, by definition, are in continuous denial of change, or even the possibility of change. Nonetheless, what is now wasn't then and won't be when. Here is some data about the essential state of NHL hockey in the past: !959-60 Maurice Richard salary $25 thousand (Canadian), 1966-67 Bobby Orr salary $35 thousand, 1969-70 Derek Sanderson salary $13 thousand, 1977-78 Derek Sanderson salary $1 million, 1991 average NHL player salary $27thousand, 2010, average NHL player salary $2.4 million.
                          So what? About half the posts on this site are concerned with the relationships between college recruits/players and the NHL draft. Change is predictable if you follow the money.

Comment

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
                            Reactionaries, by definition, are in continuous denial of change, or even the possibility of change. Nonetheless, what is now wasn't then and won't be when. Here is some data about the essential state of NHL hockey in the past: !959-60 Maurice Richard salary $25 thousand (Canadian), 1966-67 Bobby Orr salary $35 thousand, 1969-70 Derek Sanderson salary $13 thousand, 1977-78 Derek Sanderson salary $1 million, 1991 average NHL player salary $27thousand, 2010, average NHL player salary $2.4 million.
                            So what? About half the posts on this site are concerned with the relationships between college recruits/players and the NHL draft. Change is predictable if you follow the money.
                            Come again?

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                              Come again?
                              Data: The WCHA was founded (named) in 1961. The CCHA was founded in 1971. The fracture of these conferences in 2011 has astonished and dismayed reactionary (check definition) hockey fans on this site. One of the better hockey players in 1960, Rocket Richard, earned $25 thousand Canadian. In 2010 the AVERAGE NHL player was paid $2.4 million dollars. In 2011 the CCHA and the WCHA underwent major changes.
                              Not data: College hockey fans believe their team's success relies upon the number of NHL draftees among their recruits and players, as evidenced by the posts on this site. You can ignore this financial data as inconsequential or you can reach some conclusions which may defy reactionary doctrine.

Comment

Working...
                              X