Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Notre Dame going Independent?

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
    Although someone else did so just a few posts earlier...

We're pretty much splitting hairs here, but I'd say it's very clear that Notre Dame is a good program, just not yet a traditional power.

And Minnesota is a traditional power that has hit a significant, but temporary, rough patch.

Tradition > Recent Success? Recent Success > Tradition?

Nothing wrong with bantering about it, but a definitive answer isn't really possible. Apples and Oranges.
    Many programs success is based on its W/L record. Minnesota will have quite probably the largest active following in the country if its at least anywhere near .500.
    Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
      I think Notre Dame is a very good program. I just get tired of all the people who are quick to write off Minnesota's program because of a down turn. No program is immune to that. Minnesota has, for various reasons, just been slow in adjusting to the changing landscape in college hockey. It's foolish to think they won't rebound.
      No quarrel with that.

As for Tradition > Recent success. I guess it depends on where you are from. In MN, our hockey traditions are important to us, so we tend to value that more. Being the second oldest college program and the accomplishments the program has achieved (some matched by no other program) mean something to us. There isn't a right or wrong. Just difference in perspective.
      Mostly agree, but I think it's even more basic. When it comes to bragging rights, everybody's going to try and put their best foot forward. Gopher Hockey fans are rightfully proud of their history, and as 5mn Major points out, their fanbase size. At the moment those are simply better arguments than W/L record.

As for the ND fans, they're just looking for respect, and their fair share the spotlight. Given the recent Frozen Four appearances, I'd say they've earned it.

Consider a football analogy. Suppose Coach Kill turns things around and gets Gopher Football to a couple of major bowl games. I can easily imagine an Irish fan playing the "we've got more tradition" card. Would that be true? Yes. Would the claim be well received by Gopher fans? Not so much.

Comment

• Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
        No quarrel with that.

Mostly agree, but I think it's even more basic. When it comes to bragging rights, everybody's going to try and put their best foot forward. Gopher Hockey fans are rightfully proud of their history, and as 5mn Major points out, their fanbase size. At the moment those are simply better arguments than W/L record.

As for the ND fans, they're just looking for respect, and their fair share the spotlight. Given the recent Frozen Four appearances, I'd say they've earned it.

Consider a football analogy. Suppose Coach Kill turns things around and gets Gopher Football to a couple of major bowl games. I can easily imagine an Irish fan playing the "we've got more tradition" card. Would that be true? Yes. Would the claim be well received by Gopher fans? Not so much.
        I absolutely agree. Notre Dame definitely deserves some recognition for it's recent success. They have my respect . I just didn't agree with the "changing places" comment.
        Last edited by JDUBBS1280; 08-20-2011, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
          No quarrel with that.

Absolutely. The only thing the Gophers have is their 6 National Championships from a long gone era of yesteryear but I get your point.
          Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
          dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
          wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
            absolutely. The only thing the badgers have is their 6 national championships from a long gone era of yesteryear but i get your point.
            fyp

Comment

• Originally posted by willythekid View Post
              fyp
              He was talking about Gopher football. I don't believe the Badgers have any football championships.

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                He was talking about Gopher football. I don't believe the Badgers have any football championships.
                maybe I should have put a smiley face on there for ya

Comment

• Originally posted by willythekid View Post
                  maybe I should have put a smiley face on there for ya
                  Sorry

Comment

This is probably a typo but this article lists the ECAC as a possible destination for ND instead of NCHC.

http://www.southbendtribune.com/spor...,1227863.story

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefWahoo View Post
                      This is probably a typo but this article lists the ECAC as a possible destination for ND instead of NCHC.

http://www.southbendtribune.com/spor...,1227863.story
                      Uh, no. Please don't think the SBT is on the cutting edge of anything but the unemployment line. They just finished downsizing their paper to the size of a postage stamp, they laid off 25 staff members, including 17 reporters and do not have a set guy for the hockey beat. Unless they are writing about what flavor of G2 the 3rd string QB for the football team likes, they don't really care.
                      "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Working...
                      X