• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• goldy_331
    replied
    Re: NBC/Versus deal with College Hockey

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
    Those sound like teams the Gophers could be competitive against
    I don't know, I hear Duluth East is really looking tough this year. Mid-Season form in July!

Leave a comment:

• cross cheque
    replied
    Immediate success huh? I don't see it. I see slight improvement this year and maybe an NCAA bid, but I don't see things changing quickly for the lowly Gophers.
    Ok ok maybe that's a bit dramatic but I truly believe guentzel will take over once lucia's co tract runs out especially if the program turns around.

Leave a comment:

• SJHovey
    replied

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
    What happened to Versus only televising the BHHC? Oh well at least Mankato and UAA have a shot at playing on Versus. It could be worse the Gopher games could be seen nationally and not regionally.
    The gopher games will be like the Versus games. Broadcast nationally, viewed regionally.

Leave a comment:

• 4four4
    replied

Originally posted by cross cheque View Post
    Only televising the NCHC would be brutal, I want to turn on versus and watch the Beanpot, Icebreaker, Florida Classic, Shillelagh, etc. as long as they don't air the Dodge Holiday Classic featuring UMTC v Edina/Duluth East/Wayzata.
    Funny, I LOVE Edina with all my heart!!! Go Hornets!!

Leave a comment:

• gopher wes
    replied

Please, Mike G is going whip that program into shape in about two weeks then take Lucia's job.
    Immediate success huh? I don't see it. I see slight improvement this year and maybe an NCAA bid, but I don't see things changing quickly for the lowly Gophers.

Leave a comment:

• cross cheque
    replied

Please, Mike G is going whip that program into shape in about two weeks then take Lucia's job.

Leave a comment:

• gopher wes
    replied

Only televising the NCHC would be brutal, I want to turn on versus and watch the Beanpot, Icebreaker, Florida Classic, Shillelagh, etc. as long as they don't air the Dodge Holiday Classic featuring UMTC v Edina/Duluth East/Wayzata.

Leave a comment:

• cross cheque
    replied

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
    What happened to Versus only televising the BHHC? Oh well at least Mankato and UAA have a shot at playing on Versus. It could be worse the Gopher games could be seen nationally and not regionally.

Leave a comment:

• bronconick
    replied

Originally posted by unofan View Post
    So...you basically want it to follow the path ESPN took only on an expedited scale? No thanks. ESPN jumped the shark about 15 years ago.
    Uh yeah. I like 15-20 year ago ESPN. If they don't do that, they'll be the next version of CNNSI anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Rhett
    replied

Originally posted by unofan View Post
    So...you basically want it to follow the path ESPN took only on an expedited scale? No thanks. ESPN jumped the shark about 15 years ago.
    A pessimistic hipster-style response in backhanded, condescending agreement with a complaint about the hipster sports invasion?

They said it couldn't be done...

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
    reading through this thread, noting NBC/Versus, I wonder why Universal Sports has not been brought up.

That's also a channel that's available to broadcast college hockey.

So we have ABC/ESPN, CBS/CBS Sports, Fox/Fox Sports/SpeedTv, and NBC/Comcast/Versus/Universal. Interesting that all 4 of the major broadcasters have sports channels.

And many of them seem to be inerested in College Hockey in one form or another.

(and ignoring the Cable only owned B10, HD Theater, and NHL/MLB/NBA/NFL channels)

(BTW, do note- Comcast has been broadcasting college hockey for quite some time now- it's not all that stunning to have Versus or Universal to show it, being that Comcast owns NBC now)
    ABC/ESPN isn't interested in college hockey; they show it kicking and screaming (unless you count the Beanpot tournament). Probably the same is true with CBS in that the NCAA required a "package deal" so CBSCS has to show some regular season games so they could show squeakball.

Maybe The CW could get a sports channel and start showing some games? At least part of them USED to be owned by Time Warner (the WB network). TWCS has a good footing on the college sports games in New York State (or at least RPI/Union, Colgate, and RIT).

Leave a comment:

• unofan
    replied

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
    I'd still like to see "Whatever VS will be called" go all in on the next open MLB contract and the 8 more games that the NFL is releasing for Thursday nights. They need some other real sports and a counter to Sportscenter that shows sports highlights instead of hipster crap.

Leave a comment:

• alfablue
    replied

reading through this thread, noting NBC/Versus, I wonder why Universal Sports has not been brought up.

That's also a channel that's available to broadcast college hockey.

So we have ABC/ESPN, CBS/CBS Sports, Fox/Fox Sports/SpeedTv, and NBC/Comcast/Versus/Universal. Interesting that all 4 of the major broadcasters have sports channels.

And many of them seem to be inerested in College Hockey in one form or another.

(and ignoring the Cable only owned B10, HD Theater, and NHL/MLB/NBA/NFL channels)

(BTW, do note- Comcast has been broadcasting college hockey for quite some time now- it's not all that stunning to have Versus or Universal to show it, being that Comcast owns NBC now)

Leave a comment:

• Fighting Sioux 23
    replied

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
    Probably just thinking of how NBC waits till January for the NHL game of the week.
    FWIW, I believe NBC is starting the NHL game of the week around Thanksgiving for this upcoming season.

Also, another good option for that January 7th date along with the Stanley Cup Rematch is Notre Dame @ Minnesota (Hall of Fame game).

Leave a comment:

• JF_Gophers
    replied

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
    Versus shows NHL hockey before January. Why would they wait until January to show college hockey?
    Probably just thinking of how NBC waits till January for the NHL game of the week.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X