• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LynahFan
    replied
    Re: NBC/Versus deal with College Hockey

Originally posted by Patman View Post
    edit: (apologies LynahFan) of course nothing will serve the Cornell brand better than a 23-year old who struggled past the tenth grade on the third try... maybe they'll be better served by trading for a draft-pick from Pittsburgh-based powerhouse Robert Morris.
    Fortunately, I apparently don't follow something closely enough to know what I might have been offended about. Carry on!

Leave a comment:

• Patman
    replied

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
    I kinda miss all the assurances from self-satisfied career hockey fans that TV will always scorn college hockey coverage, and failing that college hockey will always be immune to the influence of TV money. Nachos, anyone?
    Sort of like your assurance is that to save college hockey from itself and from a problem that does not yet exist we must start up a parallel junior/minor-pro system tied to the schools? And further that such a system will actually be stable?

edit: (apologies LynahFan) of course nothing will serve the Cornell brand better than a 23-year old who struggled past the tenth grade on the third try... maybe they'll be better served by trading for a draft-pick from Pittsburgh-based powerhouse Robert Morris.
    Last edited by Patman; 08-22-2011, 09:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Tipsy McStagger
    replied
    I kinda miss all the assurances from self-satisfied career hockey fans that TV will always scorn college hockey coverage, and failing that college hockey will always be immune to the influence of TV money. Nachos, anyone?
    Why are you here? Why don't you go follow something you enjoy? College hockey obviously isn't it.

Leave a comment:

• uaafanblog
    replied

Originally posted by burd View Post
    But I just don't know what exactly that phrase "natchos anyone" means or where it came from.
    Osorojo use of nachos = fail. On this board "nachos" is used as a specious answer to someone as a sign that what they had to say isn't deserving of consideration or response. It's a sarcastic invalidation of what someone said and marginalizes their opinion (effectiveness can be argued).

Leave a comment:

• MUhawks628
    replied

Originally posted by burd View Post
    I love college hockey, have for 40 years, and I'd like to watch it on TV more. That would be fun.

But I just don't know what exactly that phrase "natchos anyone" means or where it came from. Is it just further evidence that we are so "corporatized" that we now must speak in a shorthand derived from marketing catchphrases? Does it mean that even hockey boards like this one are not immune to the creeping influence of corpthink persons who are no longer able to discuss this wonderful game without bringing this corporate contagion with them, intentionally or not? Is it too late? Is a college hockey game still a college hockey game? Is there anyone strong and honest enough to discuss it? sigh
    Wanna get away?

Leave a comment:

• burd
    replied

Nachos, anyone?
    I love college hockey, have for 40 years, and I'd like to watch it on TV more. That would be fun.

But I just don't know what exactly that phrase "natchos anyone" means or where it came from. Is it just further evidence that we are so "corporatized" that we now must speak in a shorthand derived from marketing catchphrases? Does it mean that even hockey boards like this one are not immune to the creeping influence of corpthink persons who are no longer able to discuss this wonderful game without bringing this corporate contagion with them, intentionally or not? Is it too late? Is a college hockey game still a college hockey game? Is there anyone strong and honest enough to discuss it? sigh
    Last edited by burd; 08-22-2011, 08:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Osorojo
    replied

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
    Oh, goody. All this time I've been lying awake at night just wondering what Osorojo's take on this might be, and now we know. Whew - I can rest easily now. I mean, with him, he's just so unpredictable, you never know *what* he might say...
    I see you like yours with cheese.

Leave a comment:

• LynahFan
    replied

Oh, goody. All this time I've been lying awake at night just wondering what Osorojo's take on this might be, and now we know. Whew - I can rest easily now. I mean, with him, he's just so unpredictable, you never know *what* he might say...

Leave a comment:

• Osorojo
    replied

Leave a comment:

• CHFAN222
    replied

Originally posted by JCrawford View Post
    Time Warner uses local talent because Time Warner Sports is considered to be a local television network. I'm not sure how well that would work with a large national TV network like NBC/Versus.
    I'd be more curious to see if we get any games televised in this deal besides these ones:

BC vs ND
    BU vs BC
    Minn vs Wisco
    Mich vs Mich St
    ND vs Mich/Mich St
    UND vs Minn
    and i guess for ECAC Cornell vs Yale
    and AHA with Air Forve vs Army

If any more match ups are televised besides those ones I would be amazed. I would especially be impressed if they are able to lock up some tournaments ie the Beanpot/GLI and maybe HE tourney.

Leave a comment:

• JCrawford
    replied

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    They should look to get local and/or league-specific talents, similar to what Time Warner does in the ECAC.
    Time Warner uses local talent because Time Warner Sports is considered to be a local television network. I'm not sure how well that would work with a large national TV network like NBC/Versus.

Leave a comment:

• pinch
    replied

Originally posted by GoNU5 View Post
    This whole situation seems like a win-win for WMU. Either they jump into the NCHC and benefit from the exposure, or they stay in the CCHA and get into the NCAA tournament most years.
    What has changed at WMU?... they have several near last place finishes, improved last year to 10-9-9 in the CCHA with a new coach--- and then lost their coach this year. Lets put them on equal terms with the rest of the CCHA should they remain

Leave a comment:

• GoNU5
    replied

Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
    ND basically has the option to do whatever they want. They are doing the smart thing and doing research into all of their options and making an informed decision about how their conference alignment will fit in with their program. No point in rushing the decision. Though I imagine this wait must be nerve raking to WMU fans.
    This whole situation seems like a win-win for WMU. Either they jump into the NCHC and benefit from the exposure, or they stay in the CCHA and get into the NCAA tournament most years.

Leave a comment:

• SanTropez
    replied

Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
    No point in rushing the decision. Though I imagine this wait must be nerve raking to WMU fans.
    ...and a few Denver fans as well.

Leave a comment:

• CHFAN222
    replied

Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
    Does anybody have any idea what the hold up is? I mean if it is true Hockey east is a no go why is Notre Dame waiting to announce? There is no way they are staying in the CCHA.
    ND basically has the option to do whatever they want. They are doing the smart thing and doing research into all of their options and making an informed decision about how their conference alignment will fit in with their program. No point in rushing the decision. Though I imagine this wait must be nerve raking to WMU fans.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X